PDA

View Full Version : Router for Terayon Cable Modem ?

tonyb61
07-09-2003, 11:57
A neighbour wants to put both their pc's onto their NTL Cable broadband connection, and would prefer a standalone solution to enable either to connect to the internet etc if the other pc is off. as both pc's are often being modified/updated/running different os's.
So they need a router that is compatible with the Terayon cable modem they have. This has an ethernet port so the roter is ethernet in, and 1-3 ethernet ports on the other side of the router. (they have a small hub so one port is OK)
Can anyone recommend a low cost router, with easy setup, that would work in this situation ?

Regards
Tony B

Reddevil63
07-09-2003, 14:31
How about the Linksys BEFSR41...you can get on for £45 from www.ebuyer.com.

Seems a popular choice of router.

Caspar
07-09-2003, 14:33
Originally posted by Reddevil63

Ditto ;)

homealone
07-09-2003, 14:57
Originally posted by Reddevil63

agreed - mine worked straight out of the box using default settings off the setup cd.

timewarrior2001
07-09-2003, 15:15
Buy the BENQ ESG 103 from DABS for approx £18
It is a 4 port 10/100 network switch with WAN port for the SACM.
It has a dial up modem back up serial port to for emergency connection.
No CD's just point your web browser to the config IP and run quick setup....al la one router up and running.

I run it on a terrayon SACM and it worked perfect out of the box.
Have a second PC connected worked second time because of my error.
I upgraded the firmware but only because there was a large dif between firmware supplied and latest version. It worke dperfect before I upgraded it and it works perfect now.

homealone
07-09-2003, 15:32
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
Buy the BENQ ESG 103 from DABS for approx £18
It is a 4 port 10/100 network switch with WAN port for the SACM.
It has a dial up modem back up serial port to for emergency connection.
No CD's just point your web browser to the config IP and run quick setup....al la one router up and running.

I run it on a terrayon SACM and it worked perfect out of the box.
Have a second PC connected worked second time because of my error.
I upgraded the firmware but only because there was a large dif between firmware supplied and latest version. It worke dperfect before I upgraded it and it works perfect now.

brilliant price, but it allegedly has problems with some stb's, although seems fine with sacm

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6631

timewarrior2001
07-09-2003, 15:36
Originally posted by homealone
brilliant price, but it allegedly has problems with some stb's, although seems fine with sacm

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6631

Yep read all that, most of the problems are actually user error.
Think the issue is with PACE 2000 STB's only and it seems to be a link between MPU speed on the netwrok card and the STB.

homealone
07-09-2003, 15:45
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
Yep read all that, most of the problems are actually user error.
Think the issue is with PACE 2000 STB's only and it seems to be a link between MPU speed on the network card and the STB.

I think you are correct, I seem to remember someone posting in another forum that lowering the MTU from 1500 to 576, sorted their problems.

I still swear by my Linksys, but at the price, if I needed to replace it, I would definitely consider your suggestion.