PDA

View Full Version : wireless ssid broadcast

trebor
22-02-2005, 19:53
A bit of a broad question but any pointer welcome.

on wireless networks it is better to have the ssid broadcast feature disabled
for security reasons (or so I believe)
If I disable this feature non of my wireless pc's can find the network and so have no net access (very secure ;) but not very useful)

has anybody got any tips or links to helpful websites? this wireless lan security thing is not simple.

thanks

Raistlin
22-02-2005, 20:01
I had the same problem, like you say - with it disabled I couldn't get any access!

Couldn't get round it so I had to re-enable, not very helpful to you though - sorry.

albert_the_dog
22-02-2005, 20:03
Try this link
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/disablessidcast.htm
AtD

punky
22-02-2005, 20:07
This (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435) should help you.

Basically, enable you "MAC address control list", and allow only the MAC addresses to items you own.

Next set up some encryption. WEP or WPA it doesn't matter.

That should be quite secure enough for any home user, even with the SSID broadcasted.

I also do all my online shopping transactions on my wired PC, but its probably just as safe as using a wireless PC.

Aragorn
22-02-2005, 20:14
A bit of a broad question but any pointer welcome.

on wireless networks it is better to have the ssid broadcast feature disabled
for security reasons (or so I believe)
If I disable this feature non of my wireless pc's can find the network and so have no net access (very secure ;) but not very useful)

has anybody got any tips or links to helpful websites? this wireless lan security thing is not simple.

thanks

It works when the wireless PC's know the SSID that you're hiding.

In WinXP this is done via the prefered networks list (if you're using the WinXP wireless connection mgr).

The easiest way to do this is to enable the broadcast SSID, then on each PC use the wireless manager to add your wireless network to the prefered network list. Then when you disable the SSID it should pick up the network again. Hope that makes sense. There is some good info on the MS website

Caveat - I recently got a cheap wireless card (AMD AL1772 chipset, I think) that doesn't pick up a hidden SSID even with the above :(

HTH

trebor
22-02-2005, 22:28
thanks I'll have a try at securing things now

zoombini
23-02-2005, 15:06
I disabled my SSID broadcast, but only after I had a connection setup to it.
still works.

Matth
23-02-2005, 20:45
If you disable SSID broadcast, make sure it can reconnect soon after, and sometime later - some router/client combinations just cannot work this way, in some cases, you can disable SSID broadcast if you don't use WEP - but it's better to have WEP.

I set a friend's one up, and tried to go for the full set (WEP, broadcast disable and MAC access control), but had to turn broadcast back on as it wouldn't connect reliably without it

goldchip
24-02-2005, 18:33
I have the same problem @ work, I recently had a Cisco wifi router put in, and have found that only by allowing the SSID to broadcast can visitors use our LAN.
So, I use WEP, and have to physically add the key to each laptop that comes onsite.
So, anyone finding an answer to this one, (can't use the MAC address as all are different with each visitor), would make me happy :)

Aragorn
24-02-2005, 22:04
I have the same problem @ work, I recently had a Cisco wifi router put in, and have found that only by allowing the SSID to broadcast can visitors use our LAN.
So, I use WEP, and have to physically add the key to each laptop that comes onsite.
So, anyone finding an answer to this one, (can't use the MAC address as all are different with each visitor), would make me happy :)

You can hide your SSID as long as you tell the people you want to use it. In the Windows 'Wireless Network Connections' property sheet you can 'Add' a prefered network. See here (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0804.mspx#ECAA) for a screenshot of the XP SP2 version. You are already giving them Wep key which has to be input in the Wireless Network Properties anyway along with the SSID, so you could just add the hidden SSID with no WEP to the Prefered Network list . Hope that makes sense.

While we are on the subject of securing company WLan's, the way we do it is to use a known hidden SSID with no WEP, but the Wireless net only has access to a VPN router. Therefore in order use our real network you have to know the SSID and use a two factor authenticated VPN. Easier to manage than a changing WEP key and more secure than static WEP.

HTH

GeoffW
26-02-2005, 12:29
I think a lot of these articles have missed the point about one of the reasons for SSID broadcasts. Wifi uses a shared spectrum, and broadcasting your SSID "stakes your claim" on those slots in your area. This may to too strong a phrase but the SSID at least tells others you are around and were there first.

Anyone who doesn't broadcast it should not be surprised if they get interference when other people set up their own network. There are much better ways than turning off your SSID to secure your network (WEP, WPA and MAC filtering).

For home networks I don't see a problem broadcasting it if you take these other precautions.

Matth
26-02-2005, 16:46
Unbroadcast SSID = "security through obscurity".

One thing you should do, is CHANGE the SSID, as a default SSID is often a sign of a totally insecure network, operating in "out of the box" router configuration - I'd suggest using a name that does not imply an invitation, nor give anything away.

Of course, you HAVE already changed/set the router admin password - yes?