PDA

View Full Version : New STB Installation

flook
21-02-2005, 15:14
Engineers been today to replace my pace box with a samsung.

Is there a reason why he felt he had to disconnect both my pc's from the router, unplug the router, and connect one of the pc's directly to the socket connected to the STB?

Presumably he has set up a new network on the PC using the "connect directly to the internet" option in windows XP?

As my router is already registered with NTL, will it be a simple matter of plugging all my bits back together again?

I knew this wouldn't be a simple as it should have been:(

reassurance greatly appreciated:(

rdhw
21-02-2005, 15:28
NTL do not provide any technical support for routers.

I don't suppose the NTL installer made any changes to your PC's configuration.

You just need to plug everything back in the way it was, reboot the Samsung STB, then reboot the router, and then the PCs. You might need to reregister your router with the NTL network.

OldGeezer
21-02-2005, 16:03
Had mine replaced at the weekend.
Just needed to re-register.

You may need a change of cable from x-over to straight through depending on model of your old STB and router.

flook
21-02-2005, 16:08
Thanks Robin, I was hoping it would be this simple, but thought that the NTL bloke would have had to create a new connection using XP's wizard, as the PC he used was only set up to connect via a router, and had never had its mac address registered with NTL.

Alternatvely, could I just clone the MAC address he's used onto the router? I know it has this facility?

Had mine replaced at the weekend.
Just needed to re-register.

You may need a change of cable from x-over to straight through depending on model of your old STB and router.

It was a PACE box, and the router is the 4 port hardwired Linksys, BEFR41 if I remember correctly. Dont think I was using a x over cable?

OldGeezer
21-02-2005, 16:32
Alternatvely, could I just clone the MAC address he's used onto the router? I know it has this facility?
I'd clone it - makes it easy to switch between router and direct connection.

It was a PACE box, and the router is the 4 port hardwired Linksys, BEFR41 if I remember correctly. Dont think I was using a x over cable?
I meant which PACE model - mine was a 1000 which used a x-over.

flook
21-02-2005, 16:33
not sure about the model number, but it was 3 or 4 years old at least, maybe even more. didnt know there was more than 1 type to be honest

flook
22-02-2005, 08:07
Everything was sorted pretty quickly, re-registered the router under its own mac address, for which I had to fone customer services for my PID number, which came with my welcome letter about 7 years ago, and the fone number on the registration screen was wrong, other than that, all went well.

Thanks for the input those who replied, now when do I get the 2 mb :)