PDA

View Full Version : Connect new PC

basa
23-06-2003, 09:08
OK guys & gals this might be a longish post...I have asked this question elsewhere, but at the moment it has a lot of people foxed !!

I have a ntl BB 150k connection through my old C&W STB CM.

This has been running perfectly for months, with a second client m/c sharing the connection.

I have built a new PC and now wish to connect it to my ntl BB account as 'host' replacing the current 'host'.

The installed NIC is a 'Compaq 3121: 10/100 fast ethernet', (it was previously installed in the client machine and was working perfectly and has since checked out again in the client m/c OK so I know it's working).

Originally my TCP/IP set up was corrupt, but a refresh has cured that and now with 'winipcfg' I can 'see' a PPP ethernet only, the WAN NIC is still not listed. I re-installed the NIC & drivers but still not recognised !

According to Robin Walkers site I should release my current PC IP addy, switch off the STB CM, swap to the new PC, re-boot STB CM, boot up new PC and go to a simple URL and get re-directed to 'start.ntl'.

This doesn't happen ! All I get is "Page Cannot be Displayed" and nothing. I've tried typing in "start.ntl" (exactly as that...no www / http etc.) but still nothing.

The PC is fast so all I can spot in IE's progress bar is something about ".....DNS error....".

I'm stumped !!

Is there a quick way I can determine whether the NIC is seeing the STB CM or if the STB CM is even talking to ntl servers ??

Sociable
23-06-2003, 09:40
Trying to pick my way through the information you have supplied a couple of questions arrise.

First is which operating system are you using on the new box 98/ME/XP?

You also comment that your WAN is not being recognised, could it be that this indictaes a possible conflict in the set-up of the new box?

What I would suggest as a starting point is to physically remove the cards and then re-install just the old card that was working previously.

Then re-boot the new box and while it is on do the full re-boot of the STB CM.

I suspect that this will enable the new box to access the net and set up the link between the STB and the "Host" pc once you run the windows connection wizard and specify it will be using the lan for internet connection.

Once this is done and you have a working net connection on the new box you can then play with adding the extra WAN to distribute the connection to the other PC. You may find changing which PCI slot you use for the cards will make a difference as sometimes it is a case of trial and error to locate a set-up that works.

Hope this helps.

basa
23-06-2003, 10:55
Originally posted by Sociable
Trying to pick my way through the information you have supplied a couple of questions arrise.

First is which operating system are you using on the new box 98/ME/XP?

OS = Win98SE

You also comment that your WAN is not being recognised, could it be that this indictaes a possible conflict in the set-up of the new box?

This is what I suspect also, but not sure how to resolve it ?

What I would suggest as a starting point is to physically remove the cards and then re-install just the old card that was working previously.

I have only one card installed and it is guaranteed working (it was installed in the working client m/c previous and when re-installed back in client worked from word go !)

Then re-boot the new box and while it is on do the full re-boot of the STB CM.

I thought the new box should only be booted once the STB CM had re-booted ??

I suspect that this will enable the new box to access the net and set up the link between the STB and the "Host" pc once you run the windows connection wizard and specify it will be using the lan for internet connection.

I didn't know I had to run Internet Connection Wizard ???

Once this is done and you have a working net connection on the new box you can then play with adding the extra WAN to distribute the connection to the other PC. You may find changing which PCI slot you use for the cards will make a difference as sometimes it is a case of trial and error to locate a set-up that works.

Getting the LAN set up is the easy bit (he says !!! :rolleyes: ) and I will try another PCI slot (I think I'll sneak a look in BIOS re IRQ assignments / slot sharing etc. )

Hope this helps.

Well it's given some more ideas, lets hope one works.

Thanks for replying.
:)