PDA

View Full Version : Router blocks all new connections.

Thorny
19-02-2005, 11:03
Hi

I play games alot, specifically HL related games like CS. When I use the steam server search(or any server search software), I manage to get a full search of servers, I get roughly 1000 servers listed, I can then connect to a game and play, but when I refresh the list of servers they just all die and timeout. Then I fire up firefox and try to search the net but that times out too. everything ele that requires a net connection doesnt work, except connections that are already open, such as IRC, ventrillo or an internet stream radio. The only solution is to reboot my router, which is a 3Com SecureRouter. I have tried all manner of settings in the routers config and even turned of the firewall but I get the same result. I cant even connect to the routers config page to view the logs

Ive got ntl 1.5 meg and WinXpSP1. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

T

MovedGoalPosts
19-02-2005, 14:52
Difficult to say, but it's possible that your system is trying to make too many simultaneous connections. Many who uses P2P software see this issue. Somehow, it may be that your steam search program (I have never tried it so don't know) is making connections and trying to maintain thos connections to each of the 1000 servers, even though you only want one. A refresh then overloads your router / ntl (I assume you have a cable modem not STB). It's to do with the upstream path. Somehow you need to reduce the number of connections steam makes / maintains.

and BTW you may wish to consider ugrade to M$ Win XP 2. Won't solve this problem, but it's always sensible IMO to run fully patched software.

Thorny
19-02-2005, 20:34
thanks for the advise. I am considering asking a friend what router they use and then will probably get one of those instead.

I was reluctant to upgrade to SP2 because ive heard about problems people have but I will research that more and find out if any of the issues will effect me :)

Richard M
19-02-2005, 20:39
Does it happen if you connect the modem directly to the PC?

Thorny
20-02-2005, 11:49
nope :) only since i got the router. I need the router for the other PC's dotted around the house as I am not sleeping in a room with a PC constantly on to let everyone else access the net(night worker ;) )

Simcut
22-02-2005, 00:01
Thorny, are you wanting to go for the Wireless or Wired router?

if you are going for a "Wired" router I'd suggest getting a Belkin one, I bought a Belkin 4 Port Gateway Router and it runs like a dream, I've opened all the correct ports needed for all sorts of things (MSN, ICQ, IRC, Games etc.) and it runs SUPERBLY! I've had no problems and its so so easy to set up and use...

If you want more info give me a shout!

Cheers,

Thorny
23-02-2005, 15:28
cool. yeah wired is my prefered method of routerage :)

is it this one http://images.belkin.com/F5D5230u4/FUL1_F5D5230u4.jpg

if not can you PM me the model and where ya got it from :)

Thanks

Simcut
23-02-2005, 17:20
nah mate, its this one:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200302&pcount=&Product_Id=151182&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWiredN etworking%2FCableDSL%2E%2E%2EyRouters%2F

it may look ugly as fook but it works like a dream! I strongly recommend it :)