PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of XBOX Live

Caspar
05-09-2003, 14:02
I thought I'd just report this...

Basically a number of people have let me know about a sudden loss of XBOX Live connection :( without any configuration changes to their setups!

This doesn't seem to be affecting everyone has XBOX.com are reporting the service is working.

I myself have been affected by this and cannot conenct to XBOX Live, currently.

For region based issues, I'm in Warrington, Cheshire.

Is anyone else having these problems or any odd connection behaviour??

Nemesis
05-09-2003, 14:04
Another thread was complaing about sudden loss to certain sites on the web, in the same(ish) area, could this be linked ?

Dooby
05-09-2003, 14:13
Broadband Internet - North West
5 September 2003 10:42

ntlhome Broadband Internet customers in the Warrington and Macclesfield areas may currently be experiencing a degraded connection due to a technical fault.
Our engineers are aware of the problem and are working towards a resolution as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Tezcatlipoca
05-09-2003, 18:22
At least you know what the problem is now, Cas. (even though it still doesn't work :( )

I've just seen a post at BritXBox from Apocalypse Cow, who got a Linksys BEFSR41 today & is suddenly unable to conect to Live even though he hasn't changed anything & his PC still works.

Very odd.

I guess he may be in the affected area too.

Dooby
05-09-2003, 21:55
i have the same router and i sometimes get problems whereby i have to tell the router to refresh its dhcp ip ( i.e. if ntl are changing the ip ranges etc ) but that would affect any PC connected through it too i would have thought

Caspar
05-09-2003, 22:10
Originally posted by Dooby
i have the same router and i sometimes get problems whereby i have to tell the router to refresh its dhcp ip ( i.e. if ntl are changing the ip ranges etc ) but that would affect any PC connected through it too i would have thought

It's really odd that my PC works ok, I have noticed a speed reduction and sometimes website connection issues..but wholly is ok..but XBL just doesn't work at all!! :mad:

Dooby
06-09-2003, 09:49
does your PC work just for websites? or is everything else ok ( i.e. MSN, p2p etc etc ) as maybe its a proxy config thing and it is only affecting non port 80 traffic or something

Caspar
06-09-2003, 13:17
FTP on 21 works :)

Caspar
08-09-2003, 11:58
ok, still the same and I'm getting mad! ...but not sure who to blame...is it MS or XBL, or even me!

My router tells me that my XBOX conencts to these hosts/IPs when connecting, or attempting to connect in my case!

TGS.XBOXLIVE.COM on port 88 Edit: This host resolves to the below IP

207.46.246.6 on port 3074

I have port forwarded these onto my XBOX just incase...this is not something I've needed to do though.

I have tried to ping 207.46.246.6 but don't get any response. Can anyone else ping this IP with success?

Caspar
08-09-2003, 12:02
ok, I've just ping that IP away from NTL's connection (through a Verio backbone) and still get request timed out.

The question is that when people connect to XBL do they log into that IP? (your router log will answer this... ;) )

ic14
08-09-2003, 12:55
Tried Pinging it,

Same thing here, time out.

Ping has started ...

PING 207.46.246.6 (207.46.246.6): 56 data bytes

--- 207.46.246.6 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Very strange, i may try a traceroute next

OK i did a trace route and it seems to time out after it goes through microsofts hotmail servers, very odd

Caspar
08-09-2003, 12:56
which port did you ping on?

ic14
08-09-2003, 12:59
http port, tried pinging port 3074 it said unkown host :confused:

Caspar
08-09-2003, 13:09
Thanks for the ping though :)

zoombini
08-09-2003, 13:18
I have had erratic loss of XBL service recently too, I'm in the NW.

We can turn on the box and its gone, but does return a day later.

I hope it gets sorted soon.

Dooby
09-09-2003, 11:52
maybe they are testing blocking people who dont pay for the BB + Console :|

Caspar... are you getting intermittant loss, or just not being able to log in at all? are there any other live related outgoing/incoming requests in the router log?

Caspar
09-09-2003, 12:08

Caspar... are you getting intermittant loss, or just not being able to log in at all? are there any other live related outgoing/incoming requests in the router log?

I thought...but didn't want to say anything...but seemingly NTL have a way to shut people out...that don't buy their console service!

Are they allowed to do this???

My PCs connect to BB as usually. There was some performace issues...which may or may not be still here...my MSN does take longer to login and get chucked off a few times a day. And my BB connection does get dropped sometimes.

Nothing is sent to my live private IP other than that stated...I boot the thing up now and monitor it for a few hours :)

Caspar
09-09-2003, 12:24
:D :D :D :D :D

OMG - IT WORKS! :D

I'm Live again!!!....that was most miserable 5 days of my life!!!! :p

Thanks Dooby, the nthw clan and all who have helped me through this dire time :p ;) :)

Mantrid
09-09-2003, 12:54
I was having the same problem last night. I could connect to the Internet via my PC fine but not my Xbox. I rebooted everything (router, cable modem, xbox) and it worked fine after that.

My Xbox diagnostics said it was something to do with DNS problems.

Caspar
09-09-2003, 13:07
As long as it works now.... :)

XiceWolf
09-09-2003, 13:24
Island thunder tonight or now if you have the time ? I was at a uni open day and iam back early :D

Caspar
09-09-2003, 13:25
I'm online now, during my lunch :)

XiceWolf
09-09-2003, 13:26
ill be on in 5

ic14
09-09-2003, 14:18
Yay Cas is back!!! No he wants to play grit!!

Caspar
09-09-2003, 14:34
Originally posted by ic14
Yay Cas is back!!! No he wants to play grit!!

of course I do! :confused: :spin: :confused: :shrug:

:)

zoombini
09-09-2003, 16:01
You know, it could be due to the massive increase in users playing GRIT?

Dooby
09-09-2003, 16:04
it may or may not be related, but a few times in the last few days I have had to force my Router to release/renew its dhcp...it ends up with the same IP address...

Tezcatlipoca
09-09-2003, 18:21

Maybe, but I don't think so. (at least I hope not!)

There was someone over at .com who was in one of the affected areas &, like Cas & co, couldn't connect to XBL - yet they had the official NTL XBox service (& they had been repeatedly phoning NTL's XBox support...who were no use at all).

Originally posted by Caspar

OMG - IT WORKS! :D

I'm Live again!!!....that was most miserable 5 days of my life!!!! :p

At last! :D

bigbadbaz
11-11-2007, 23:46
my xbox live connection was fine upto 2 weeks ago, now i get kicked from xbox live and am losing skill on halo 3 rapidly :( is this a virgin media issue?? i have reset the router, checked the firmware and all other settings, Unpp is on and port forwarding off, i have a netgear wg264T router, live approved, everything else is cool, internet and all, just the xbox, was working perfectly previously to help !!:mad::mad::mad: