PDA

View Full Version : NTL? No thanks

ideoplastic
16-02-2005, 14:14
Having waited for years for BT to enable the local exchange for Broadband,
I decided to approach NTL to subscribe to their Cable/Broadband service, seeing
that nearly all my neighbours already have the service.

Made some phone calls to them with intention of subscribing to the service and each
time I was told they get back to me, something which never happened.

Then 3 months after making the enquiries I get a letter telling me they cannot provide me
with the service. That's it no explanation why. I'm so ****ed off by this that I will be writing
to the regulator to lodge a formal complaint, since NTLs attitude seems prejudiced and
discriminatory. The fact that the company keeps bombarding me with unwanted literature
even after declining to provide me with the service without explanation will no doubt form
part of my submission to the regulator.

orangebird
16-02-2005, 14:27
Can you expand on how ntl are being 'prejudiced' and 'discriminatory'? Also, if you could pm me your postcode, I could have a look and see what the problems are with servicing your property?

Ramrod
16-02-2005, 15:28
Having waited for years for BT to enable the local exchange for Broadband................... From the tone of your post I am guessing that you perhaps think this is an official ntl site. It's not, but we do have people here who might be able to help, see if OB can help you...... :)

scrotnig
16-02-2005, 15:55
Having waited for years for BT to enable the local exchange for Broadband,
I decided to approach NTL to subscribe to their Cable/Broadband service, seeing
that nearly all my neighbours already have the service.

Made some phone calls to them with intention of subscribing to the service and each
time I was told they get back to me, something which never happened.

Then 3 months after making the enquiries I get a letter telling me they cannot provide me
with the service. That's it no explanation why. I'm so ****ed off by this that I will be writing
to the regulator to lodge a formal complaint, since NTLs attitude seems prejudiced and
discriminatory. The fact that the company keeps bombarding me with unwanted literature
even after declining to provide me with the service without explanation will no doubt form
part of my submission to the regulator.
Unfortunately, if cable is not available at your property, then you can't have the service. ntl are not under any legal obligation to provide a service, unlike BT.

Whilst I agree it's frustrating to keep getting adverts etc, there is no realistic way to control these on a house to house level, distributors will only work off postcode sectors, so if part of one sector is cabled and the other isn't, generally all houses in that sector will get leaflets.

I'm just letting you know this before you write to OFCOM, as this is pretty much what they will tell you.

Also bear in mind OFCOM won't even look at a complaint until you've exhausted all avenues for ntl to resolve it...you can't just go straight to OFCOM just because you're a bit annoyed.

seaneeboy
16-02-2005, 15:58
If it's through the post it would be worth signing up to the mailing preference service...

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/

scrotnig
16-02-2005, 16:01
If it's through the post it would be worth signing up to the mailing preference service...

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/
That won't stop the door to door flyers though. There is no way of stopping those.

ideoplastic
16-02-2005, 16:19
Unfortunately, if cable is not available at your property, then you can't have the service. ntl are not under any legal obligation to provide a service, unlike BT.

Well this sounds a bit like Catch22

I live in a Cul-de-Sac with approx 15 houses 13 of which have NTL cable.

Now perhaps you can explain to me how a cable company can create new
customers without laying the cable.

SMHarman
16-02-2005, 16:36

customers without laying the cable.
By selling to houses that have a cable running past them but no service.

Graham F
16-02-2005, 17:48
That won't stop the door to door flyers though. There is no way of stopping those.

not true - unless ntl have taken off the no contact form off the intranet?!? all ideoplastic needs to do is ring or write to ntl to say i don't want anymore flyers and their details will be taken off mailing lists :)

ian@huth
16-02-2005, 17:59

customers without laying the cable.A lot can depend on the geography of your cul-de-sac and if someone else's property would have to be crossed to get the cable to you. Sometimes odd properties have been left out because they would need wayleave consent to get the cable to them.

ideoplastic
16-02-2005, 19:30
I live a the U bend of the cul-de-sac and the area just in front of my property is
common access like everywhere else in the cul-de-sac.

Found out BT will be enabling local exchange by July 27. So I'll wait for that
and will upgrade my Deamon account to a 2Mbps connection or higher if available.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

scrotnig
16-02-2005, 20:26
not true - unless ntl have taken off the no contact form off the intranet?!? all ideoplastic needs to do is ring or write to ntl to say i don't want anymore flyers and their details will be taken off mailing lists :)
That is mailing lists...in other words, this will stop any targetted postal delivery of mail. It *won't* stop distribution of flyers by dedicated door to door distribution teams, it isn't practical as these people would have to consult a database before delivering EVERY leaflet.

Graham F
16-02-2005, 22:16
That is mailing lists...in other words, this will stop any targetted postal delivery of mail. It *won't* stop distribution of flyers by dedicated door to door distribution teams, it isn't practical as these people would have to consult a database before delivering EVERY leaflet.

wow never come across them before :) - all the ntl advertising that i have ever come across is via post - you know the man/woman that comes round on their bike and pushes mail through the door :angel: the only time i have ever seen leaflets given out are in town centres, but i will bow to your superior knowledge on the matter :angel:

Sorry missed something on my first post :D

It *won't* stop distribution of flyers by dedicated door to door distribution teams
So ntl employ teams of people that have the 'dedicated' job of handing out flyers door to door?!? :confused:

Doofy
16-02-2005, 22:43
wow never come across them before :) - all the ntl advertising that i have ever come across is via post - you know the man/woman that comes round on their bike and pushes mail through the door :angel: the only time i have ever seen leaflets given out are in town centres, but i will bow to your superior knowledge on the matter :angel:

Sorry missed something on my first post :D

So ntl employ teams of people that have the 'dedicated' job of handing out flyers door to door?!? :confused:

Never seen NTL handing out flyers in my area even when there Bent as a 3 bob note sales reps start calling for the umpteenth time in a day.

scrotnig
16-02-2005, 23:14
Sometimes leaflet distribution is contracted not to the Royal Mail, but to private companies. Many firms do this. There is no chance of specifying individual houses that are not to be delivered to.

They don't hand them out, they post them through letterboxes. As I say, many companies do this. takeaways being quite common.

I can't believe nobody has ever heard of this practice. I sometimes feel like I'm on another planet in here.... :disturbd:

Did you all believe that EVERY flyer that ever comes through your letter box was delivered by the postman?

Doofy
16-02-2005, 23:22
We normally get our flyers delivered by the local freebie paper, along with the other half of the rainforest every day of the week. :Yikes:

scrotnig
16-02-2005, 23:26
We normally get our flyers delivered by the local freebie paper, along with the other half of the rainforest every day of the week. :Yikes:
Yeah, they're another culprit.

Actually since I moved last year I don't get ANY of the local free papers. I used to quite enjoy getting them, I don't know what the problem is where I am now, none of them seem to bother.

danielf
16-02-2005, 23:31
Yeah, they're another culprit.

Actually since I moved last year I don't get ANY of the local free papers. I used to quite enjoy getting them, I don't know what the problem is where I am now, none of them seem to bother.

It can't be the lack of news, that's not stopping them round here :erm:

Graham F
16-02-2005, 23:31
Sometimes leaflet distribution is contracted not to the Royal Mail, but to private companies. Many firms do this. There is no chance of specifying individual houses that are not to be delivered to.

They don't hand them out, they post them through letterboxes. As I say, many companies do this. takeaways being quite common.

I can't believe nobody has ever heard of this practice. I sometimes feel like I'm on another planet in here.... :disturbd:

Did you all believe that EVERY flyer that ever comes through your letter box was delivered by the postman?

the issue here is not the local takeaway but the ntl leaflets/flyers that people get through their doors. I know that all the ntl flyers/leaflets i get to my house are delivered by the postman as they have a prepaid postage on them as a give away :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

as for your last comment i would reply but i would get banned :erm: :angel:

ian@huth
16-02-2005, 23:42
We get a massive collection of flyers through the letterbox each week, usually delivered with the local freesheet newspaper. I have counted as many as twenty rolled together with the newspaper and held together by a rubber band. These usually include Aldi, Netto, Lidl, Morrisons, Asda, Homebase, B&Q, local fast food takeaways and good old NTL although NTL flyers are more usually delivered by the postman with no address or franking on them.

homealone
16-02-2005, 23:42
the issue here is not the local takeaway but the ntl leaflets/flyers that people get through their doors. I know that all the ntl flyers/leaflets i get to my house are delivered by the postman as they have a prepaid postage on them as a give away :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

as for your last comment i would reply but i would get banned :erm: :angel:

we get a 'free' local paper shoved through our door, weekly, with a load of promotional literature included, luckily we have a local re-cycling scheme, also ....

Ramrod
16-02-2005, 23:44
We get no ntl flyers............. :D

Marge
16-02-2005, 23:46
I actually get two different sorts of ntl stuff, some general stuff that gets delivered with the local rag which is not specific to anyone and some the postie delivers addressed to me :shrug:

(seeing as how i have everything already it does seem a bit daft to be on the mailing list :rolleyes: )

scrotnig
16-02-2005, 23:52
I actually get two different sorts of ntl stuff, some general stuff that gets delivered with the local rag which is not specific to anyone and some the postie delivers addressed to me :shrug:

(seeing as how i have everything already it does seem a bit daft to be on the mailing list :rolleyes: )
The door to door sales staff keep knocking on my door when I'm at work, pushing cards through inviting me to sign up for services I already have.

At one time their knocking sheets would exclude anyone that already had the services for obvious reasons.

danielf
16-02-2005, 23:56
The door to door sales staff keep knocking on my door when I'm at work, pushing cards through inviting me to sign up for services I already have.

At one time their knocking sheets would exclude anyone that already had the services for obvious reasons.

I used to get 'why not sign up for Broadband leaflets' with my Broadband bill :rolleyes:

Doofy
17-02-2005, 00:11
I used to get 'why not sign up for Broadband leaflets' with my Broadband bill :rolleyes:

LOL but does anyone get the door to door staff we get around here the majority are bent as a 3 bob note, even going as far as to invent names for people who owe NTL money :( Before i went on NTL Door knockers said to me and my other half "If its a problem with non payment we can put it under another name for you no questions asked" Unbeleivable. Now all i get is come back to NTL for you phone etc, Not sodding likely usually does the job. :p: