PDA

View Full Version : Two Networks on Broadband

DaveW1970
16-02-2005, 11:31
Hi,

Being a broadband novice, I though I would post this to check whether or not this is the norm.

I have had a 300K service from ntl for a few days now. Everything was going well until I got a "new network" message on booting up yesterday. I now have two internet networks that my PC is connected to and, in the light of security worries, wondered if there was anything amiss.

ntl customer support told me that perhaps the PC was seeing itself as an internet connection, but I am not wholly convinced.

I am running an ancient Win 98 SE setup, no bluetooth adapter or the like. Just the cable modem.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason for the two networks?

Much obliged.

Dave

homealone
16-02-2005, 12:31
Hi DaveW1970 :welcome: to Cable Forum

- do you use Zone Alarm, by any chance??

DaveW1970
16-02-2005, 12:44
Thanks for the welcome.

Yep, I have got Zone Alarm installed. Is that the root of all ntl evil?

Dave

homealone
16-02-2005, 12:52
Thanks for the welcome.

Yep, I have got Zone Alarm installed. Is that the root of all ntl evil?

Dave

:LOL: hmm, some may say that, personally i have had no problems with it, no - I just wondered whether the 'new network detected' message had come from Zone Alarm, as I seem to remember something similar last time I re-installed it. :)

DaveW1970
16-02-2005, 13:35
:LOL: hmm, some may say that, personally i have had no problems with it, no - I just wondered whether the 'new network detected' message had come from Zone Alarm, as I seem to remember something similar last time I re-installed it. :)

Ah, I see. I just thought it a bit odd that 2 networks were shown as I could see no real reason for it (as is the case for quite a lot that goes on at ntl methinks).

Cheers anyway.

Dave :spin:

rdhw
16-02-2005, 13:48
I have had a 300K service from ntl for a few days now. Everything was going well until I got a "new network" message on booting up yesterday. I now have two internet networks that my PC is connected to and, in the light of security worries, wondered if there was anything amiss.ZoneAlarm produces this message every time your IP address changes from one sub-net range to another. This is liable to happen at any reboot on a cable system that allocates addresses via DHCP.

DaveW1970
16-02-2005, 14:01
ZoneAlarm produces this message every time your IP address changes from one sub-net range to another. This is liable to happen at any reboot on a cable system that allocates addresses via DHCP.

Thanks for the help. Would this explain me being connected to two networks (as indicated by two internet ip addresses as shown in ZoneAlarm)?

Dave

homealone
16-02-2005, 14:04
ZoneAlarm produces this message every time your IP address changes from one sub-net range to another. This is liable to happen at any reboot on a cable system that allocates addresses via DHCP.

Thanks Robin - I could remember getting the message before, but that has clarified why it happens, much obliged :tu:

rdhw
17-02-2005, 10:36
Would this explain me being connected to two networks (as indicated by two internet ip addresses as shown in ZoneAlarm)?You aren't connected to two networks. ZoneAlarm is confused.

DaveW1970
17-02-2005, 11:50
You aren't connected to two networks. ZoneAlarm is confused.

Quite true, had a root around (using winipcfg) last night and found that it had given an IP address to a generic "Microsoft TV adapter" which it had installed at the same time as the cable modem.

Problem solved :)

Thanks for all the tips :tu:

Dave