PDA

View Full Version : BT Outage affects 500.000 plus

Florence
13-02-2005, 11:46
This weekend BT have been struggling to fix the problem they have even flown engineers in from Canada with parts to bring the service back online. The outage has had a few ETR but all have passed. This is the second time Manchester node has melted. The quote is from last nights news.

BT has advised ispââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s today of a serious network problem affecting Broadband customers in the Manchester, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Yorkshire, Cumbria and surrounding areas. This is affecting many ispââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s and at last count around 500,000 customers. The problem appears to have started early this morning.

Details from BTâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s fault report system:

Incident Headline: MSIP - MANCHESTER ATM NODE 5 - LOSS OF SERVICE

Incident Details: We are currently seeing alarms and receiving fault reports at MANCHESTER AREA. Engineers are investigating.

Progress Details: Our Engineers are making progress towards full restoration of service.

Further updates will be provided as soon as possible.

The latest update seems likely to be missed

Following on from yesterday's major fault in the Manchester area, BT have issued an update as work continues on the affected equipment.

Work is now expected to be completed by 12noon today. However as this is a major fault and been ongoing for over 24 hours, we wouldn't be suprised if this is revised again later.

I will let you know more as I receive the information.

jtwn
13-02-2005, 12:03
Loss of service in Lincolnshire or at least a few places too. This is unbelievable.

And you thought ntl was bad ;)

Florence
13-02-2005, 19:21
BT have given the all fixed so everyone should be back online

greencreeper
14-02-2005, 19:37
I've had a few problems today with no remote access to customers, most probably because of this. Makes life hard - "describe the box to me". Any guesses what a heavy black, beeping box might be? :D

scrotnig
14-02-2005, 19:41
Loss of service in Lincolnshire or at least a few places too. This is unbelievable.

And you thought ntl was bad ;)
Actually, BT have demonstrated that they have dealt with a major outage competently and expediently.

Sometimes equipment fails, that's just the way things are. It doesn't always mean the company responsible is no good.

andyl
14-02-2005, 19:43
My friend suffered with this and I checked the BT Service Status page for her on btconnect.com. Discovered from this that BT also offer a dedicated Service Status freephone number. Presumably just a pre-record but good idea for helping keep the tech support lines unclogged. Do NTL do this (not seen it if they do)? Sorry might have, as usual, veered this one slightly off topic :)

Tezcatlipoca
14-02-2005, 20:16
Discovered from this that BT also offer a dedicated Service Status freephone number. Presumably just a pre-record but good idea for helping keep the tech support lines unclogged. Do NTL do this (not seen it if they do)? Sorry might have, as usual, veered this one slightly off topic :)

There's an option for "Faults" if you phone CS (freephone). IIRC, it has prerecorded messages detailing any major problems.

And now back to the topic ;) :)

mmm
14-02-2005, 20:32
My friend suffered with this and I checked the BT Service Status page for her on btconnect.com. Discovered from this that BT also offer a dedicated Service Status freephone number. Presumably just a pre-record but good idea for helping keep the tech support lines unclogged. Do NTL do this (not seen it if they do)? Sorry might have, as usual, veered this one slightly off topic :)

NTLhome Internet status line is :

0800 052 4315

andyl
14-02-2005, 20:39
NTLhome Internet status line is :

0800 052 4315
I thank you. Never seen that number before though. Anyway, as you were...... :)

zoombini
14-02-2005, 20:47
So could is be why Xbox Live kep going down over the weekend?