PDA

View Full Version : Cancellation letter

poolking
09-02-2005, 13:39
Ok,

I've sent a cancellation letter to NTL stating that I would like to cancel my TV account and would like to keep my telephone account. I sent it recorded 1st Class recorded delivery on 3rd February, I've checked the royal mail website and said that it cannot confirm yet whether anyone has signed for it and a week has nearly passed, so I don't know if anyone has actually received the letter.

I sent it to the Manchester address printed on the back of the bill, can one of the NTL employees confirm this was the correct address to send the letter?

I can give you the relevant details via email or PM.

I am aware that I'll still have to pay in March, but I wouldn't want this to drag on too long as I am already paying for Sky.

Jason1
09-02-2005, 18:54
Ok,

I've sent a cancellation letter to NTL stating that I would like to cancel my TV account and would like to keep my telephone account. I sent it recorded 1st Class recorded delivery on 3rd February, I've checked the royal mail website and said that it cannot confirm yet whether anyone has signed for it and a week has nearly passed, so I don't know if anyone has actually received the letter.

I sent it to the Manchester address printed on the back of the bill, can one of the NTL employees confirm this was the correct address to send the letter?

I can give you the relevant details via email or PM.

I am aware that I'll still have to pay in March, but I wouldn't want this to drag on too long as I am already paying for Sky.

When i sent a cancellation letter to ntl in swansea it took them a 5 working days from when they recieved it for it to be passed over to relevant department. Dont know what its like in Manchester area but could take as long as mine did to get a response. But they accepted the cancellation order as per the date on my letter so didnt have to stay with them any longer

gary_580
09-02-2005, 20:35
phone the post office, the last time i looked they were not updating their web site for recorded letter due to needing the staff to do other work.

At least then you will know if it has been signed for or not.

scrotnig
09-02-2005, 20:43
Nobody in Manchester deals with cancellation requests any more as we were all made redundant, so it will just get forwarded on to Teesside who now deal with these.

James79
09-02-2005, 20:57
The Post Office / Royal Mail are almost as useless as NTL. (No Offence to anyone who works for either company).

I remember a few years back when I had to send my exam results to a university that I had applied to. I sent them First Class Recorded, and waited for a few days to be delivered. When I checked on their website, I was informed that there was some sort of problem and to phone the helpline. I did this, and was informed that there was no record of my letter having entered the "recorded" system. :mad:

I was then advised to send the letter again but this time by "Special Delivery", which at the time cost £2 more. I begrudgingly did as I was advised and this time the letter was delivered. :erm: This time it did arrive.

What Im trying to say is, dont necessarily think that NTL have your letter in their possession - it may not have even reached them yet - recorded or not. :shocked:

James

poolking
10-02-2005, 13:21
So being as cancellations are no longer dealt with at Manchester, how long it will take for them to forward my letter to the appropriate address?

Or should I waste another 93p and someone give me an alternative address to send a copy of my original letter to?

edit: just checked the royal mail site and information on my letter still isn't available online.

timaeus
02-03-2005, 21:48
poolking, it's now about a month since you sent your cancellation letter. Have you had any joy getting your account disconnected?

Highlander
04-03-2005, 17:34
My 12 month broadband with NTL is up in the middle of April. I am moving out of the apartment on 31st March and there is no cable access at my new address.

Today I phoned NTL (Customer Relations dept on 0800 052 0511) to confirm what I was required to do in order to cancel my contract when the 12 months is up. The person took my details and made a note on the account to say the broadband access should be shut down when the 12 months is up.

I asked if I should write to NTL to confirm I was cancelling. I was told I didn't have to - that it was a new policy that cancellation could be done over the phone. She did say a written letter was required in the past. The person did take my new address.

Hope this helps. I will be cancelling my direct debit as soon as my final payment has left my account - so I'll wait and see if I am billed after mid April.

FYI - I have been very happy with NTL. The broadband was installed on the day they said it would be and the broadband service has been great. I have never had to call support once. They even increased my access from 512kb to 750kb as well during the contract!

Neil
04-03-2005, 17:37
My 12 month broadband with NTL is up in the middle of April. I am moving out of the apartment on 31st March and there is no cable access at my new address.

Today I phoned NTL (Customer Relations dept on 0800 052 0511) to confirm what I was required to do in order to cancel my contract when the 12 months is up. The person took my details and made a note on the account to say the broadband access should be shut down when the 12 months is up.

I asked if I should write to NTL to confirm I was cancelling. I was told I didn't have to - that it was a new policy that cancellation could be done over the phone. She did say a written letter was required in the past. The person did take my new address.

Hope this helps. I will be cancelling my direct debit as soon as my final payment has left my account - so I'll wait and see if I am billed after mid April.

FYI - I have been very happy with NTL. The broadband was installed on the day they said it would be and the broadband service has been great. I have never had to call support once. They even increased my access from 512kb to 750kb as well during the contract!

I'm willing to bet hard cash that something goes wrong-did you get the person's name?

:welcome: to the site BTW. :)

Nemesis
04-03-2005, 17:38
I'm willing to bet hard cash that something goes wrong-did you get the person's name?

Oh such a defeatist .... :D

Neil
04-03-2005, 17:42
Oh such a defeatist .... :D

I think you mean realist, ntl weren't on Watchdog for their billing issues for nothing you know.

It's the oldst trick in the book with an ntl associate that doesn't give their name out-you know as well as I do there's no 'footprint' to check who agreed to do x/y/z, so it's pretty much over before it's begun as far as I'm concerned.

Although ntl could always prove me wrong, so we'll see what happens to Highlander. :)

Highlander
04-03-2005, 17:44

Yeah I did get the person's name, and their department ;). As long as I am not out of pocket and paying for a service I don't get, then that's fine. And if I cancel the DD then I should be ok.

Thanks for the welcome!