PDA

View Full Version : Cannot FTP to ntlworld webspace - pls help!

binary
04-09-2003, 11:43
Hello,

I can't connect to my webspace via FTP anymore and I can't figure out why! It's really annoying.

I use the FTP function in Internet Explorer to connect to ntlworld's FTP server. It has always worked in the past, but when I tried a week or so ago it has no longer worked.

This is what I type into the address bar-

ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com

-as I said, it used to work but now all I get after a few minutes is a time out error.

I am using my primary username and I am using the correct password. My Sygate firewall does ask me whether I want to connect to the FTP server- to which I of course answer yes.

Can anyone help me out here?

If not, how should I best attempt to contact ntlworld support?

Thanks, an exasperated binary.

Edit - added below is the specific error message that I get.

This error message (below) appears in a standard windows dialogue box.

----------------
FTP Folder Error
----------------

An error occured opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have pemmission to access that folder.

Details:
200 Type set to A.
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: Connection timed out.

Nemesis
04-09-2003, 12:21
Ok, after going through this pain recently, can you answer some questions.

1. Are you on an NTL IP address (sounds silly but ...) ?

2. Has this ever worked ?

3. Have you changed your Main Identity password ?

I have the name of someone who may be able to help you, but we should see if it's something simple first.

binary
04-09-2003, 12:36
Originally posted by Nemesis
Ok, after going through this pain recently, can you answer some questions.

1. Are you on an NTL IP address (sounds silly but ...) ?
Yes, I'm connected via ntlworld dial-up.
2. Has this ever worked ?
Yes, it worked back in April when I created the pages & uploaded them using the same computer, which had the same configuration then as it does now (apart from the obligatory windows updates).
3. Have you changed your Main Identity password ?
No. I've never changed my main identity, or my main identity password. I have checked that the password works for dial-up by manually typing it in (I normally use the remember password function) and also for collecting from the main identity mailbox.

Perhaps I should use an FTP client to test the connection as well.

binary
04-09-2003, 12:53
:dunce:

I should have tried this before I posted - but I didn't.

I shut down my Sygate firewall and tried to connect via FTP - with success!

I assume there is some firewall setting that someone has changed (there are others who use the computer too), as I was using the Sygate firewall back in April, the last time I uploaded.

I'll try to get to the bottom of what settings need to be adjusted so I can FTP with the Sygate firewall on. I remain protected by the inbuilt Windows XP firewall whilst my Sygate firewall is disabled.

Great - there is some out of date info on my small collection of webpages that really needed changing, and now I can.

Thanks for your help anyway Nemesis, it was you asking the obvious questions that led me to ask more obvious questions, and get to the bottom of the matter! Cheers.

Nemesis
04-09-2003, 12:55
No problem, glad to have helped out !!:)

ntlrebel
04-09-2003, 13:30
Well done Nemesis.:p