PDA

View Full Version : Using a SECOND NIC Instead of a router?

gimpymoo
07-02-2005, 09:29
I have recently started using the Vonage VOIP phone service which I must say as impressed me so far.

When I signed up, I received a Linksys telephone adapter/router. This is all well and good, although the router is causing a few problems with online gaming. I know I can configure the router manually, but im too lazy.

Would it be possible to add a SECOND NIC to my computer, bridge that with my existing onboard NIC and plug the Telephone adapter/router DIRECTLY into that card, thus enabling my NTL: broadband to go directly into my PC's onboard NIC without going via the router?

If this setup works, would it cause any performance issues.. in theory?

homealone
07-02-2005, 09:39
no, sorry, AFAIK to do that you would need a 2nd IP.

SOSAGES
07-02-2005, 14:53
to lazy to go to 192.168.0.1 change a few things yet enough energy to open case remove blank install nic put case back put pc back in place turn on find drivers cock around with connection settings ..
madness

gimpymoo
07-02-2005, 15:43
to lazy to go to 192.168.0.1 change a few things yet enough energy to open case remove blank install nic put case back put pc back in place turn on find drivers cock around with connection settings ..
madness

LOL

Fair point, although it would help me reclaim some desk space instead of having this onking blue thing there, a NIC wouldnt take up any extra space on my desk you see which is allready cluttered. And please dont tell me to tidy my desk - ;)

Also, im just interested to see if it works.. no harm in having a "play".