PDA

View Full Version : broadband for ntl lines

pudsli
05-02-2005, 12:11
does anybody know of any other company, other than ntl, that can supply a non bt line with broadband? I'm being tight, i don't want to pay 74.99 to be connected to bt!

Graham M
05-02-2005, 12:22
No, ADSL is a BT Only technology that only works on BT Lines as NTL's cabling and technology is completely different.

LostintheNW
05-02-2005, 12:43
I thought BT did free reconnection unless you have been disconencted for non payment of a bill etc?

etccarmageddon
05-02-2005, 12:55
does anybody know of any other company, other than ntl, that can supply a non bt line with broadband? I'm being tight, i don't want to pay 74.99 to be connected to bt!

aol offer broadband using ntl's network

paulyoung666
05-02-2005, 16:04
hi and :welcome: to the site pudsli :) , as i see it , the only option is the one from etccarmageddon :disturbd: , have you rung bt and asked them what the score is with regards connection payments :)

pudsli
05-02-2005, 19:02
yeh, spoke to bt, unfortunately the line used at this address before me was a business line so i would need to pay connection fee!:(

injuneer
05-02-2005, 20:17
No, ADSL is a BT Only technology that only works on BT Lines as NTL's cabling and technology is completely different.

Not strictly true, Ntl are considering ADSL on their own lines to seperate the broadband from the HFC network. ;)

Neil
05-02-2005, 22:17
Not strictly true, Ntl are considering ADSL on their own lines to seperate the broadband from the HFC network. ;)

Don't think so.....

BT all the way for ntl: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/116/new-ntl-freedom-products-for-14m-households

Stuart
05-02-2005, 22:22

So, they are going to through the millions they have (& are) spending to upgrade the cable network away, only to spend millions more upgrading their phone system so it can carry ADSL?

Any proof?

ian@huth
05-02-2005, 22:59
Could VDSL be an option for NTL?

injuneer
06-02-2005, 12:58
So, they are going to through the millions they have (& are) spending to upgrade the cable network away, only to spend millions more upgrading their phone system so it can carry ADSL?

Any proof?

It wouldn't take too much to convert it, you already have fibre to the cabinet and a short hop of copper to your house so speeds would be better than a BT line. You just need an ADSL interface in the cabinet. The ADSL technology isn't really part of the phone system anyway it just uses the copper line as a physical transport. The exchange/switch is not part of the equation.
Problem is the HFC network is being over worked hence the poor quality DTV pictures. It was only mentioned as a possibility but as most of Ntl's plans amount to nowt it probably won't happen.:erm:

zoombini
07-02-2005, 11:34
It's even worse, you pay a similar figure to have ADSL setup in the first place.

If there is a line into the house, be it buisness or domestic, I don't understand why they would say that you could not use it?
fair do they may want an engineer to check it but a line is a line isnt it?

injuneer
22-03-2005, 15:19
Don't think so.....

BT all the way for ntl: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/116/new-ntl-freedom-products-for-14m-households

have a look at this article in the reg today :erm:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/22/ntl_adsl2/

pablodaddy
01-04-2005, 20:39
You could try the expanding 4MB Bulldog Broadband service from Cable and Wireless (uses their own line).;)