PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a non NTL BB area

zjones
04-02-2005, 19:27
Hi,

I am currently approx 6 months into my NTL contract (Family Pack, Phone, BB). I would like to keep the services but I am moving to an NTL cabled area without BB. (West London).
Does anyone have any advice about how I should go about cancelling all services without having to pay out the rest of my contract.

My argument is I need broadband and the only other option is through a BT line. Which means I don't need an NTL phone and therefor can't have the family pack because it comes with the telephone line.

I tried phoning NTL tonight but after over an hour of transfers and holding I finally gave up.

Cheers

Ignition
05-02-2005, 16:13
Hrm...

Tell them that if they'd gotten their hands out of their vice like buttocks quicker and into wallets and gotten on with the London upgrades when they said they would originally and not years later you wouldn't be in this dilemma.

paulyoung666
05-02-2005, 16:46
Hi,

I am currently approx 6 months into my NTL contract (Family Pack, Phone, BB). I would like to keep the services but I am moving to an NTL cabled area without BB. (West London).
Does anyone have any advice about how I should go about cancelling all services without having to pay out the rest of my contract.

My argument is I need broadband and the only other option is through a BT line. Which means I don't need an NTL phone and therefor can't have the family pack because it comes with the telephone line.

I tried phoning NTL tonight but after over an hour of transfers and holding I finally gave up.

Cheers

hi and :welcome: to the site , if you are moving into a non ntl cabled area then you do not have to finish your twelve month contract , just give them 30 days notice :)

Gogogo
05-02-2005, 17:26
Hi,

Cheers

Actually, as you say you are moving to a NTL cabled area - difficult, however as you need broadband which may not be available it might be worth contesting it. Clearly, they cannot supply the full services which you have enjoyed it might be worth challenging, but we can only hope. Let us know what happens when you call Monday.

:)

paulyoung666
05-02-2005, 17:27
Actually, as you say you are moving to a NTL cabled area - difficult, however as you need broadband which may not be available it might be worth contesting it. Clearly, they cannot supply the full services which you have enjoyed it might be worth challenging, but we can only hope. Let us know what happens when you call Monday.

:)

good point i missed that point :dunce: , it should be an interesting outcome then :erm: :D :D

zjones
06-02-2005, 13:50
good point i missed that point :dunce: , it should be an interesting outcome then :erm: :D :D

I know, I would really prefer to be reading this thread instead of experiencing it. I think they are probably going to say I can cancel the broadband and have to keep the rest. It is really going to screw me if they do because I will have to pay an extra 10 quid for a BT line rental on top of the NTL line rental.

Also what would happen if I said I am moving out of an NTL area completely do they check it up? Anyone know?

Cheers again

ian@huth
06-02-2005, 14:16
You could always move to a non NTL cabled area. Move to a relative or friends house that isn't in a cabled area for a night before you move to your new address. I don't think that NTL stipulate how long you have to live in a non cabled area. ;)

zjones
15-02-2005, 18:31
AGHHHHHH!!!!!

Now NTL won't let me cancel and are saying I have to get Freedom or pay out the rest of my contract! Can someone help me please!

1. If I go freedom then do I have to have another 12 month contract

2. Freedom don't do TV what happens with this? Do I have to pay it out?

3. Why the hell do I need to get freedom it's inferior

zjones
15-02-2005, 19:15
Oh yeah I forgot to say. I am moving completely out of the NTL area. I am moving into a Telewest area. (NW6) not west london as original post.

paulyoung666
15-02-2005, 19:56
Oh yeah I forgot to say. I am moving completely out of the NTL area. I am moving into a Telewest area. (NW6) not west london as original post.

so you are moving out of an ntl area then , therefore ntl cant hold you to keeping you as a subscriber , ring em up again and give em hell , politely of course ;)

zjones
15-02-2005, 21:02
So whats the deal with the Freedom crap then. Do I have to take it to keep within my contract?

I am moving tomorrow and will have no internet until this is sorted. I was going to replace my phone + internet with Bulldog and get Sky because it's a Telewest Analogue area.

danielf
15-02-2005, 21:10
I'd give them a ring and tell them you can't get freedom as you will not be having a BT line. NTL can't force you to take a BT line IMO (though they will probably try).

Edit: Also, if I'm correct, freedom is only 512 k. You could tell them this is not enough for you, and they can't hold you to a contract as they are unable to supply a service/choice of services that is equivalent to the choice you had with NTL (particularly if you are on a faster line now)

intalex
23-02-2005, 11:14
I'll tell you what, they gave me one of two options:
(i) get a BT line installed (and pay for its line rental) and take up the NTL Freedom package until the end of my 12-month contract
(ii) pay off the rest of my contract without getting any service

So while NTL aren't forcing me to take a BT line, they sure are blackmailing me into doing so. Surely this is illegal, don't you think?

Neil
23-02-2005, 11:28
I'll tell you what, they gave me one of two options:
(i) get a BT line installed (and pay for its line rental) and take up the NTL Freedom package until the end of my 12-month contract
(ii) pay off the rest of my contract without getting any service

So while NTL aren't forcing me to take a BT line, they sure are blackmailing me into doing so. Surely this is illegal, don't you think?
It is, & if you check my reply in the other thread you have posted this in, you will see that you don't have to do what ntl say. ;)

If they can't provide "service" in the area that you are moving to, that's their problem not yours.

Get it cancelled & get a proper ISP & Sky.

scrotnig
23-02-2005, 12:34
I understand that the policy on this has now changed and they apparently DO insist you take Freedom services if moving to a non-serviceable area.

Crap policy and probably unenforceable.

legend
23-02-2005, 13:52
So what NTL are basically saying is now there is no such thing as a jeopardy move, you HAVE to take freedom? Christ, its monopolised! And I work for them :Yikes:

Would be nice to be told these things once in a while. :dozey:

PS, a note to the chaps who cancel the direct debit, I am a manager in Luton Credit Control, and day in day out I see accounts where people have tried in vain to cancel or move services, cancelled their direct debit and it causes all manner of problems, coz the outstanding balance builds up, and then the calls just get passed back to Credit Contol, as retentions/housemoves dont want to know when the customer "owes money"

Hope this helps

Chris :)