PDA

View Full Version : trouble setting up router

Valerie
04-02-2005, 11:48
I have a netgear rp614 router and am trying to connect it to a w98 machine via ethernet card. There is no problem with the ethernet card to Cable modem direct. But when I connect the router in (cable modem - router - ethernet card) following very carefully all instructions re cabling/powering off and on I cannot access the routerlogin screen. All lights correctly lit on nic card, modem & router.

Nic is set to obtain ip automatically, use dchp for wins resolution, no default gateway, dns enabled - not sure what to put in for host and domain names but have tried both ntl and home2. Nothing ticked under LAN connections in IE (no proxies specified).
Have done all this with ZA firewall shut down.

With Cable modem to ethernet card (no router) ip config says
IP address in this scenario 80.3.*.*
Subnet mask 255.255.255.*
Default Gateway 80.3.*.*

Any ideas on what to try next?:confused:

Richard M
04-02-2005, 14:47
The DNS setting would usually be set to the IP of your router, or automatic if you have DHCP enabled.

Valerie
04-02-2005, 15:50
problem solved by friendly techie! I was trying to release/renew through winipcfg, but this didn't work. He released/renewed through the command prompt with the command 'release 0' and magically all worked!

homealone
04-02-2005, 15:56
problem solved by friendly techie! I was trying to release/renew through winipcfg, but this didn't work. He released/renewed through the command prompt with the command 'release 0' and magically all worked!

good news - thanks for letting us know :tu: