03-02-2005, 18:52
oh it's comeing up to the six nations so there will be.alot to talk about
in the world of rugby. !

Earl of Bronze
03-02-2005, 19:31
Indeed, fingers crossed Ireland can improve on last season. :D

Paul K
03-02-2005, 19:48
Well since I have welsh, irish and scottish relations through marriages in the family I'm kind of hedging my bets ;)
Saturday is going to be interesting to say the least :erm: Wonder where I put my 6ft St George Flag????

Chimaera
03-02-2005, 19:50
Well since I have welsh, irish and scottish relations through marriages in the family I'm kind of hedging my bets ;)
Saturday is going to be interesting to say the least :erm: Wonder where I put my 6ft St George Flag????
Carry on like that you Englander and it will go where the sun doesn't shine!! :ninja:
Now where did I put my 12 ft Welsh Dragon flag? :D
I already have a miniature version on my car aerial - very handy for locating it in the car park at Tesco! :D

marcopolio
05-02-2005, 09:12
Well, following last nights game of real rugby, I thought people might be discussing the merits of the Rhinos and the Bulldogs!

Also, if England picked up anything from the best rugby league club side in the world, they should stroll home today. :cool:

jtribe
05-02-2005, 13:48
Also, if England picked up anything from the best rugby league club side in the world, they should stroll home today. :cool:

Defeated I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
Im Welsh but the y wont let me back in!

Gogogo
05-02-2005, 14:01
oh it's comeing up to the six nations so there will be.alot to talk about in the world of rugby. !

Six nations, marvellous. It will be interesting to see what the England team can do, almost newbies!

:D

bopdude
05-02-2005, 14:22
Well I'm on my way to Cardiff right now, unfortunately it's to work for the weekend :( staying in Newport, might see the match before work tonight ...... come on the lads ( England that is ;) )

Chris W
05-02-2005, 14:24
:disturbd: Well, i am going to end up watching it while at work in a Welsh call centre, whilst supporting england :disturbd:

JohnHorb
05-02-2005, 15:35
With interactive as well - impressed!

sir_drinks_alot
05-02-2005, 16:05
With interactive as well - impressed!

i know that did come as a bit of a shocker :Yikes: scotland not doing to bad
so far lets just see how thay do in the next 40 mins

edited
you can talk about rugby League in this thread to you know :)

Gogogo
05-02-2005, 16:45
i know that did come as a bit of a shocker :Yikes: scotland not doing to bad
so far lets just see how thay do in the next 40 mins

edited
you can talk about rugby League in this thread to you know :)

The Scots are indeed working hard and playing much better but now the French are fighting back. Wow what a match!

:)

homealone
05-02-2005, 16:53
The Scots are indeed working hard and playing much better but now the French are fighting back. Wow what a match!

a brilliant match, what a shame the end was overshadowed by two questionable decisions from the officials - I didn't think he had a foot in touch & the try should have stood, also the sin bin decision was bizarre.

Having said that, Scotlands failure to clear the lines at the end, leading to the French try, was a bad mistake.

Good open game, though, great to watch :tu:

Gogogo
05-02-2005, 17:20
a brilliant match, what a shame the end was overshadowed by two questionable decisions from the officials - I didn't think he had a foot in touch & the try should have stood, also the sin bin decision was bizarre.

Having said that, Scotlands failure to clear the lines at the end, leading to the French try, was a bad mistake.

Good open game, though, great to watch :tu:

Certainly on video it looked like a questionable decision, one can only assume that the touch judge had seen something we couldn't and what's more he looked certain. Otherwise agreed, good fighting start. Tonight England will defeat Wales say around 20:10. Actually, this match may not be easy to predict.

homealone
05-02-2005, 17:26
Certainly on video it looked like a questionable decision, one can only assume that the touch judge had seen something we couldn't and what's more he looked certain. Otherwise agreed, good fighting start. Tonight England will defeat Wales say around 20:10. Actually, this match may not be easy to predict.

I have to admit the touch judge had an excellent view and did look certain of his decision, and that is what he is there for, it just looked ok to me - & at that point in the match, too....

anyway, I agree Wales v England is not easy to predict, I have divided loyalties in this & will just say that I hope the team that plays best is the winner - something I don't think happened in the Scotland game ;)

sir_drinks_alot
05-02-2005, 17:36
hats off to NTL for there good interactive Content.during the Scotlond v French
game :tu:

Paul K
05-02-2005, 19:22
Is it me or do England need to go away and learn to play rugby properly again? Talk about a shambles :no:

jellybaby
05-02-2005, 19:25
England are lucky to be only 5 points behind. Unless they have a crash course on playing rugby at half time, the gap is going to get bigger

sir_drinks_alot
05-02-2005, 19:30
Is it me or do England need to go away and learn to play rugby properly again? Talk about a shambles :no:

to true Paul if wales win me dad and miss drinks.won't hear the end of it !
from a over Excited mum.

Paul K
05-02-2005, 20:04
Quick everyone, we're ahead for 30 seconds ;)
Edit:
Oh well never mind lol Just shows what happen when you try to play a sport you are no good at..... bit like cricket, football, tennis, darts, hockey etc etc ;)

Russ
05-02-2005, 20:17
:D :D :D :LOL: :clap: :clap: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Paul K
05-02-2005, 20:19
You beat my time to posting estimation by 30 seconds ;)
Anyone want to take this opportunity to describe just how ****** poor England were? Jeez even Wales could beat us playing like that.... oh yeah, they just did :mis:

Gogogo
05-02-2005, 20:19
Well done NTL for the BBCi interactive which actually worked.

England lost to Wales! I Can' t believe my eyes and ears. Hats off to Wales for a good game. Please England rugby team, please learn lessons from this game.

Very disappointing England performance we hope for better in the next match.

:(

homealone
05-02-2005, 20:20
it was a case of Rugby '0' The Pitch '1', as far as I could see, I'm amazed the players coped as well as they did.

Had to agree with Gavin Henson as man of the match, he had a brilliant game, even apart from that penalty kick :tu:

Chimaera
05-02-2005, 20:22
it was a case of Rugby '0' The Pitch '1', as far as I could see, I'm amazed the players coped as well as they did.

Had to agree with Gavin Henson as man of the match, he had a brilliant game, even apart from that penalty kick :tu:
Yeah - what WAS going on with that pitch?
Anyway - a good game - I will wear my Welsh rugby shirt to work with pride on Monday (anything to upset the boss!)

Tezcatlipoca
05-02-2005, 20:25

:(

Oh well, Wales did deserve it.

Gogogo
05-02-2005, 20:28
Must admit though the TV shot of a Welsh lady wearing a red shirt with the words: "scrum with me and get it" was quite nice, but then again I'm happily married.

Good game shame about the result.

Russ
05-02-2005, 20:38
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :spin: :PP: :drool: :disturbd: :D

Paul K
05-02-2005, 20:46
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :spin: :PP: :drool: :disturbd: :D
Celebrate while you can ;) If England continue to play like that for the rest of the tournament our Scottish members will be joining your party :(
Looks like our rugby team need to go back to basics and learn to play the game again without relying on one member of the team to kick them out of trouble.

homealone
05-02-2005, 20:54
Celebrate while you can ;) If England continue to play like that for the rest of the tournament our Scottish members will be joining your party :(
Looks like our rugby team need to go back to basics and learn to play the game again without relying on one member of the team to kick them out of trouble.

I think that bit of exitement was about the young lady in the 'scrum & get me' T-shirt - she was very scrummy ;)

Chimaera
05-02-2005, 20:57
I think that bit of exitement was about the young lady in the 'scrum & get me' T-shirt - she was very scrummy ;)
Yeah - well Homer, he's so miserable about 'his' team losing, i don't think it would have made any difference if she'd been here in the room with him! :rofl:

homealone
05-02-2005, 21:08
Yeah - well Homer, he's so miserable about 'his' team losing, i don't think it would have made any difference if she'd been here in the room with him! :rofl:

both games today didn't really follow the script, did they - I think it's good, both Scotland & Wales will have gained some confidence & France & England got a rocket - it can only get better :tu: :)

Paul K
05-02-2005, 22:43
Miserable? I beleive I predicted the outcome of the match before it was more than 10 mins old :p:

Earl of Bronze
06-02-2005, 00:35
Go on the Welsh..... :D

Ok, so Scotland put in a solid performance for 50 or 55 minutes of the game. On the other hand, France where woefull, but dont forget they had a number of young players on the pitch. All in all I think Scotland did stirling work in Paris, ans got thoff to a good start.

As foe the England/ Wales match...... :rofl:

England where dire. Ball was too slow on the set-peice plays, too many handling errors, to much confusion. But again England had a lot of young/ inexperienced players out there today. Wales on the other hand really showed England how to play the game, at times anyway. Superb game of rugger.

But dont forget IRELAND are playing Italy tomorrow, and with a bit of luck can get a good chunk of points on the board. At the same time, Italy can be a tricky side to play, and can surprise any team they play against.

All in all, I think I'll be posting on here Sunday evening about how Ireland are at the top of the pile. :D :D :D

Russ
06-02-2005, 09:31
Thankfully for you lot my keyboard was playing up last night so all I could post was smilies.... :D

Who cares if we've got other teams to play......

Who cares if they're going to beat us......

Who cares if we don't win the whole tournament......

As long as we beat the English, we don't care...

And we did!

Earl of Bronze
06-02-2005, 23:52
Well, I completely missed the Ireland/ Italy match today. :cry:

But it turnded out allright in the end...... :D :D :D

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Gogogo
12-02-2005, 15:47
Here we are another busy Six Nations weekend and right now the Italy & Wales game is quite exciting. Looks like a gloomy end for the Italians but at least they are trying hard. tomorrow England & France should be interesting.

Russ
12-02-2005, 17:13
WALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on Inger-land at Twickers!!

gazzae
12-02-2005, 20:46
Bring on Inger-land at Twickers!!
:confused: In a years time?

If France beat England tomorrow, Ireland go above England in the world rankings.

England and France both have to come to Lansdowne, I feel confident of Ireland beating them both. If Wales beat France and Italy it would set up a cracking showdown for the Grandslam at the Millennium Stadium.

Russ
12-02-2005, 20:48
If France beat England tomorrow, Ireland go above England in the world rankings.

Oi - if France beat England tomorrow I'm gonna be on cloud 9!!! :D

jtribe
12-02-2005, 20:59
Wales played some fantastic moves today against the Italians, cant wait for the big bust up with Ireland in Cardiff, not sure what will happen for the France match but they are as fired up now like they have not been for a loooooong time! Tickets are over £300 a pair for the Millenium match!

Earl of Bronze
12-02-2005, 22:36
Well, Whales put in another good performance. :D

But what a cracker the Ireland v's Scotland match turned into. Ireland and Scotland both looked a little wobbley at times, but a super match all in all.

Gotta say, I reckon Ireland can clean up this year. :D

Russ
12-02-2005, 23:00
Gotta say, I reckon Ireland can clean up this year.

No :)

Earl of Bronze
12-02-2005, 23:02
No :)

ROTFLMFAO....... :rofl: ;)

Russ
12-02-2005, 23:04
Well who cares, as long as it's not Ing-er-land :D

Mal
12-02-2005, 23:06
It's only Union. Who cares? ;) :D

Earl of Bronze
12-02-2005, 23:08

True, or France for that matter. ;) But I still reckon Ireland can clean it up. :D

It's only Union. Who cares? ;) :D

Oiiiii. Union is PROPER rugby. ;)

Mal
12-02-2005, 23:10
Oiiiii. Union is PROPER rugby. ;)
:nono: Not union, league... ;)

Earl of Bronze
12-02-2005, 23:24
:nono: Not union, league... ;)

I've had this argument with an ex rugby league pro, and the only true rugby is UNION . :)

Mal
12-02-2005, 23:26
I've had this argument with an ex rugby league pro, and the only true rugby is UNION . :)
Union may have been the first, but league is far more entertaining. :)

Earl of Bronze
12-02-2005, 23:43
Union may have been the first, but league is far more entertaining. :)

I would have to disagree with you there, its also a less skillful game. When I played rugger (many years ago) :( we played league in the off season for a laugh. Union is deffo the better game. :D

Gogogo
13-02-2005, 10:25
Rugby Union is a really physical experience, played with skill and strategy, it's really hard work getting those all important points. Today England have a chance to try and score against France. Hopefully, the lessons learnt in the last games would have been learnt and the boys are able to play good rugby and win.

bopdude
13-02-2005, 17:57
What a shocking display of kicking, never seen as bad a performance in a long time.

Charlie_Bubble
13-02-2005, 17:59
I would have to disagree with you there, its also a less skillful game. When I played rugger (many years ago) :( we played league in the off season for a laugh. Union is deffo the better game. :D
My arse!

Gogogo
13-02-2005, 18:01
What a shocking display of kicking, never seen as bad a performance in a long time.

Supect failure to practise, Wilkinson practises by the hour daily, a competent kicker could have scored those vital points. Barcklay & Hodgson need to practise.

homealone
13-02-2005, 18:51
Supect failure to practise, Wilkinson practises by the hour daily, a competent kicker could have scored those vital points. Barcklay & Hodgson need to practise.

which goes to show how many of England's previous successes have been helped by Wilkinson's superb kicking.

You have to keep the pressure on the opposition by keeping the scoreboard ticking over and England failed to do that, today.

France should have been punished for their abysmal first half - and were let off the hook to the point of coming back to win. So well done France.

Earl of Bronze
13-02-2005, 20:08
My arse!

Is white and hairy?????? :erm: ;)

Scarlett
13-02-2005, 20:24
What happened!!!! Watched the whole thing and was just gobsmaked when the French managed to scrape a win. Even with there second half perfomrance, they were by far the weaker team.

The kicking was the big downside, I mean they missed so much (we lost 18 (or was it 21) points that we could have had on penalties alone. Get those kickers out there and practicing from 6 am till 9 pm day in, day out. I'm not asking for miracles but jeez

iadom
13-02-2005, 21:04
You should have watched the penalty shoot out between Sheffield United & West Ham in the FA cup replay, :D at least 3 clean over the bar, think they must have got their boots mixed up.

I suppose thats why Union poached several League coaches to teach them how to play proper rugby, and how to defend.:p:

Earl of Bronze
13-02-2005, 21:21
I suppose thats why Union poached several League coaches to teach them how to play proper rugby, and how to defend.:p:

That would have been teams in the English RFU that went poaching players from League. Considering how England are playing this year they need all the help they can get, and that includes players from rugby league. :rofl: ;)

iadom
13-02-2005, 23:29
That would have been teams in the English RFU that went poaching players from League. Considering how England are playing this year they need all the help they can get, and that includes players from rugby league. :rofl: ;)

But what about all Englands recent success, and Irelands also, both national UNION teams have had several ex LEAGUE coaches for many years now. I could even put a post in the 'met anyone famous' thread as Mick Ford the ex Wakefield Trinity and GB LEAGUE player and currently the Ireland RFU's defensive coach is a long time customer of mine.:)

And I believe that the practice of using LEAGUE coaches to improve UNION play was an Aussie idea in the first place.

Earl of Bronze
13-02-2005, 23:47
Fair point, but looking at it from that piont of view its noting more than a reverse of what happened 10 years ago. Back in the days when Union was still officialy amature, many brilliant players where seduced to League because of money. Now Union is professional and now league is loosing players to Union. But I still think Union is the better of the two games.

carlingman
14-02-2005, 00:36
:rofl: :rofl:

You gotta love the way they blamed everything on the kickers. (well if you not English that is).

I like the way they forgot they played absolute ****e for 80mins.

France were dire and still beat them.

Still at the least French knew when to keep their discipline and relied on Engerland slipping up knowing they had a player who could actually slot the ball between the uprights.

Looks like this will be a worthy addition to Englands trophy cabinet -

Russ
14-02-2005, 10:15
W00t w00t!!!

:rofl:

Wouldn't it just be OSSUM if the Saesneg ended up with the wooden spoon?? Ha! Heros to zeros in 18 months :D

Scarlett
14-02-2005, 11:03
You gotta love the way they blamed everything on the kickers. (well if you not English that is).

I like the way they forgot they played absolute ****e for 80mins.

I like the way that people forget that for the first 40 minutes England absolutely dominated the game. The French were all over the place and continually giving away penalties (most of which were not converted :( ) Had a few more of those penalties actually gone over then there would most likely have been a different result.

The kickers have to take a fair amount of the blame since as was seen you need to keep scoring points even if you do have a big lead and they just didn't deliver.

But then the rest of the team let them down in the second half with some sloppy play and giving the French chances to score (which they did most of the time).

All in all, I don't think the French deserved the victory, they were on the day the weaker team but the got the oppotunites and took them. On the other hand England have managed to do the same in the past so I can't really complain.

Don't forget, this is still a team in its infancy give it another season and some experience under its belt and hopefully we'll start to see the old England back again.

Paul K
26-02-2005, 18:05
Anyone else backing Wales for a change today? ;) C'mon let's face it, we like the French less than the Welsh :p:
C'mon boyos http://www.corridor.net/dpeirce/pics/smilie.cheerleader.gif

iadom
26-02-2005, 18:16
Apparently, Wales have had to change their shirt logo. Instead of Brains it has been changed to Brawn, so as not to offend French feelings. Anyone know why.:confused:

Paul K
26-02-2005, 18:20
Apparently, Wales have had to change their shirt logo. Instead of Brains it has been changed to Brawn, so as not to offend French feelings. Anyone know why.:confused:
It's not their feelings that are the problem, just their alcohol advertising laws ;) The shirt logo change was due to the fact that in France alcohol is not allowed to be advertised so any team that travels to play in France has to remove any advertising if it's linked to alcohol :(

Chimaera
26-02-2005, 18:20
Seems the Scots had problems too - see here. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4284211.stm)
Bit rich when you think how much wine the French consume! ;)

Paul K
26-02-2005, 18:46
C'mon Russ, games over, you're letting us down you know ;) Been at least 30 seconds now lol

homealone
26-02-2005, 18:50
That has got to be the most entertaining game I have seen for ages - plus a great result :tu:

Russ
26-02-2005, 19:05
WALES!!!!!!!!!
WALES!!!!!!!!!
WALES!!!!!!!!!!

Wow....do you think we might even with the 6 Nations???? :eek:

Paul K
26-02-2005, 19:07
WALES!!!!!!!!!
WALES!!!!!!!!!
WALES!!!!!!!!!!

Wow....do you think we might even with the 6 Nations???? :eek:
Russ is that suprised by the outcome he can't even type properly ;) The way Wales are playing and the way the other nations are playing it is quite likely that Wales can and probably will take the 6 nations without loss.

Russ
26-02-2005, 19:10
Russ is that suprised by the outcome he can't even type properly ;) The way Wales are playing and the way the other nations are playing it is quite likely that Wales can and probably will take the 6 nations without loss.

In which case I'd better warn you in advance.

You remember the way you lot just wouldn't shut up for weeks when England won the world cup?? ;)

Chimaera
26-02-2005, 19:11
Looks like my lucky Wales Rugby shirt worked its magic then! :D
Must make sure it's clean for the next match.

Paul K
26-02-2005, 19:12

In which case I'd better warn you in advance.

You remember the way you lot just wouldn't shut up for weeks when England won the world cup?? ;)
Let's face it Russ, you hardly shut up even when Wales do badly :p: If they win they will have deserved it, the way England are playing they should be ashamed to pull on the jersey :mad:

Chimaera
26-02-2005, 19:15
Let's face it Russ, you hardly shut up even when Wales do badly :p: If they win they will have deserved it, the way England are playing they should be ashamed to pull on the jersey :mad:
Don't worry Russ - I'll make Paul's life hell later (well more than usual). Wonder if he likes ground glass in his cheese sandwiches? :)

Russ
26-02-2005, 19:20
The positions so far.....

1 Wales
2 Ireland
3 France
4 Scotland
5 England
6 Italy

And as far as I'm concerned it can stay just like that! :D

Paul K
26-02-2005, 19:26

1 Wales
2 Ireland
3 France
4 Scotland
5 England
6 Italy

Unless something special happens tomorrow it probably will ;) If England actually go back to basics and start playing rugby again we might be able to grab 6 points and get away the bottom of the table.
Wales have Scotland and Ireland to go, not being nasty but that should be at least 3 points in the bag although Scotland have been playing well but don't seem to have the final killer punch and Ireland could stretch Wales. Whatever happens March 19th is a date for the diary ;)

Russ
26-02-2005, 19:29
I can't see Scotland causing too many problems although the Irish could be tricky.

Ahh who cares, as long as we've beaten England :D

Paul K
26-02-2005, 19:35
I can't see Scotland causing too many problems although the Irish could be tricky.

Ahh who cares, as long as we've beaten England :D
Many have and before March the 19th many more probably will lol ;) Ireland will most likely be the only stumbling block and if Wales concentrate on the task in hand they should get through it. Ireland V France is going to be an interesting game on the 12th ;)

Earl of Bronze
26-02-2005, 20:11

1 Wales
2 Ireland
3 France
4 Scotland
5 England
6 Italy

LOL, not a chance Russ come tomorrow and Ireland thrash England, then Ireland will once again be in the number one spot.

Saying that I was miffed with France today. Useless gits couldnt do the needful and beat Wales. Ahhhh well, I suppose Ireland will just have to do it the usuall way and just beat France and Wales.

Russ
26-02-2005, 20:39
Makes a change from having an arrogant England supporter :D

carlingman
27-02-2005, 02:57
LOL, not a chance Russ come tomorrow and Ireland thrash England, then Ireland will once again be in the number one spot.

Saying that I was miffed with France today. Useless gits couldnt do the needful and beat Wales. Ahhhh well, I suppose Ireland will just have to do it the usuall way and just beat France and Wales.

Whilst I would love to see Ireland woop England I think England will be our trump card in this.

I think England will be beaten up over losing to us Welshies and the French and they will be well fired up for the Irish game and beat them clearing the way for us Welsh to have a chance of cleaning up.

I hope Ireland win tomorrow and we can beat the Scots in a fortnights time leaving Ireland to beat France and then setting the scene for a nice showdown for the climax in Cardiff the week after.

Gogogo
27-02-2005, 08:01
I would have preferred a French victory over Wales yesterday, certainly the Welsh only just won the final segment was very exciting.

Watch out for upcoming talent for England both the U21 and U19 teams are doing very well both thrashed the Ireland U21 & U19 teams yesterday, so clearly the future holds great prospects.

It is possible we are looking at a possible English victory over Ireland today, could be close though.

Russ
27-02-2005, 16:35
Hmm, had an interesting question put to me today, ahead of the England/Ireland game.

If England win then that'll go a long way to helping Wales take the 5 nations. However if Ireland win, England face the wooden spoon. A Welsh triumph would be forgotten about after a few months. But England coming last....now the press (and us taffies!) would savour that for a LONG LONG time.

So as a true Welshman, what would I rather see? Wales win the 6 Nations or England win the wooden spoon?

Believe me when I say that's a VERY touch decision to make!

Chimaera
27-02-2005, 16:55
No - I think the press would bury the story if England got the wooden spoon! Might be different in Wales though. :D
I'd go for Wales winning the 6 Nations Russ - the other option makes you seem a little bitter and twisted! :PP: :D (And I know you aren't.)

Russ
27-02-2005, 16:58
Don't be so sure - it's in the heart of every Welshman to enjoy watching the Saesneg lose :D

Chimaera
27-02-2005, 16:58
So where does that leave me - half Welsh, half English? :spin: :D

Russ
27-02-2005, 16:59
Well seeing as you're not a Welshman I think that should be obvious :D

Chimaera
27-02-2005, 17:00
Well seeing as you're not a Welshman I think that should be obvious :D
:rolleyes: Wasn't referring to the gender!! :D

Paul K
27-02-2005, 17:35
It's just good to see that England have learnt their lesson and are no longer giving away free points through needless penalties :rolleyes: How do they think they are going wo win matches if they give the opposition more points than they actually score in open play? That wooden spoon is looking more and more likely :dozey:

Russ
27-02-2005, 17:38
That wooden spoon is looking more and more likely :dozey:

Ohhhhh yes....that feeling would be almost sexual :D

Paul K
27-02-2005, 17:40
That wooden spoon is looking more and more likely :dozey:

Ohhhhh yes....that feeling would be almost sexual :D
Now, now, what you get up to with cooking implements in the privacy of your own home is up to you ;)

Russ
27-02-2005, 17:43
Now, now, what you get up to with cooking implements in the privacy of your own home is up to you ;)

Indeed it is......

Oh hang on, hang on...."England have won the wooden spoon"....huhhhhh....

Just seeing how that headline would feel :D

Bifta
27-02-2005, 17:48
Heh .. England lost

Russ
27-02-2005, 17:50
Ain't it nice to beat them ;) :D

Earl of Bronze
27-02-2005, 18:34
Ain't it nice to beat them ;) :D

Indeed it is.

Saying that, Ireland still arent playing to their full potential. If the team can just pull it together a little more, play with a little more conviction, then the Grand Slam is gonna be Irelands.

gazzae
01-03-2005, 12:18
England are now lauching an official complaint about the ref? What bad losers!

I wonder if this complaint will mention the constant infringements at the breakdown by the English which resulted in slowing the ball down when the Irish were in a good position?

My views on the tries..

Corry Try
In my view this try is very borderline. It looks like O'Gara is close enough to the play in order to be eligible for being cleaned out. Borderline because some refs would have allowed the clean out and some would not.

In my view he probably was close enough to be cleaned out so the try is legal.

Cueto "Try"
With this one I have not seen a camera angle that shows the location of Cueto when Hodgson kicked so with this one we will have to trust the ref. Under IRB protocol this play is NOT one that can be sent to the TMO for review.

Lewsey "Try"
A maul formed and drove for the Irish line, the maul appeared to cross the line and was then pushed back by the Irish where it collapsed. I believe the ref had a look and saw that where the maul had collapsed the ball was not over the Irish try line, hence he awarded a scrum to Ireland.

If, in my view, that the ref saw the ball had not crossed the line, then as above under IRB protocol he is NOT allowed to send the play for review by the TMO.

Russ
01-03-2005, 12:25
Indeed it is.

Saying that, Ireland still arent playing to their full potential. If the team can just pull it together a little more, play with a little more conviction, then the Grand Slam is gonna be Irelands.

Looks like it's down to our 2 nations :)

Jolly good luck to you and your team sir, may the better side win.

If Wales aren't going to win the 6 Nations then I'll be happy for Ireland to take it :D

Earl of Bronze
01-03-2005, 17:12
Looks like it's down to our 2 nations :)

Jolly good luck to you and your team sir, may the better side win.

If Wales aren't going to win the 6 Nations then I'll be happy for Ireland to take it :D

Thank-you kindly sir, but to be honest I want Ireland to win it and no-one else. :D

But if its a toss-up between France and Wales, then hopefully Wales take it. :D

Earl of Bronze
01-03-2005, 19:36
Looks like the England management are unhappy with the result and may take a complaint to the IRB.

Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4302867.stm)

And the refs reply.

Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4307191.stm)

homealone
01-03-2005, 19:51
Looks like the England management are unhappy with the result and may take a complaint to the IRB.

Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4302867.stm)

And the refs reply.

Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4307191.stm)

that does England no favours at all, they were beaten by a team who played better than they did, on the day - bet they would have kept quiet if any dubious decisions had been in their favour.

Ireland simply had more passion & belief, their backs had a superb game - England made too many unforced errors & were punished for it. Wingeing about the referee isn't going to change that. :(

Earl of Bronze
03-03-2005, 16:36
Oops, looks like Robinsons whining has landed him in the crapper.

Linky (http://www.6nations.net/news_2908.htm)

gazzae
03-03-2005, 16:48
Oops, looks like Robinsons whining has landed him in the crapper.

Linky (http://www.6nations.net/news_2908.htm)

Glad to see it.

iadom
07-03-2005, 17:46
I suppose this should be in the jokes thread but it deserves to be here.:D

Courtroom drama custody ruling.

7 Year Old Challenges Judge

A seven year old boy was at the centre of a courtroom drama today when he
challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.
The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge awarded
custody to his aunt.
The boy however confirmed that his aunt beat him more than his parents,
and refused to live there. When the judge suggested that he live with his
grandparents the boy cried out that they beat him more than anyone.

Then in an unprecedented move, the judge dramatically allowed the boy to choose who should have custody of him.
In a final ruling yesterday, custody was granted to the England Rugby Team
as the boy firmly believes that they are not capable of beating anyone.

Earl of Bronze
12-03-2005, 17:07
Well I have to say that todays match between Ireland and France was a real upset.

In my heart I knew this was gonna be difficult, but France finally played as we all remember them doing in previous years.

First half was shocking, Franch dominated the forward play including the line-outs and scrums. Their mauls where incredible, and the French backs where all over Ireland when Ireland did try to spread the ball wide.

Saying that.....

The 15 - 20 minute phase Ireland had in the second half, was prolly the best they have played in this Championship so far. Driscos' try way lovely, and if I was gay I'd prolly want to marry him. ;)

Now it all comes down to Scotland beating Wales tomorrow, and thats as likely as me winning the lottery.

:bigcry:

Russ
12-03-2005, 17:09
Now it all comes down to Scotland beating Wales tomorrow, and thats as likely as me winning the lottery.

I have to agree with you there :D

But I still say the decider wil be next weekend.

Never mind though, we can all just sit back and enjoy England winning their latest prize.....the wooden spoon :D :clap: :angel:

Scarlett
12-03-2005, 19:49
Never mind though, we can all just sit back and enjoy England winning their latest prize.....the wooden spoon :D :clap: :angel:

Looks like the England rugby team won't be needing a new cutlery draw...

England 39-7 Italy

Russ
12-03-2005, 21:23
Must be nice/refreshing/relieving to get at least one win this year :D

carlingman
13-03-2005, 05:15
Looks like the England rugby team won't be needing a new cutlery draw...

England 39-7 Italy

Woopee do as England have said to us Welshies many a time you beat the only team in the pool and then restore your pride.

I think not, Italy are there for the wooden spoon so that the **** poor teams have at least someone to beat.

England would have had the same score today or possibly less if the other sides 15 had not walked out onto the pitch.

No class, no determination.

Gogogo
13-03-2005, 09:32
Marvellous day, defeat for Ireland by France, superb game, French played like masters from the start, Ireland outplayed.

England's defeat over Italy was a welcome break from the long line of defeats since last year, Italy however, did not play their best. Hopefully, this almost new England team led by, man of the match, Martin Corry is great, Cueto superb, all the team did well. Perhaps now the team will build on this success and climb back up to more successes in the future.

Keep an eye on rising talent, England U21 & U19 teams are performing very well.

Russ
13-03-2005, 11:39
England's defeat over Italy was a welcome break from the long line of defeats since last year, Italy however, did not play their best. Hopefully, this almost new England team led by, man of the match, Martin Corry is great, Cueto superb, all the team did well. Perhaps now the team will build on this success and climb back up to more successes in the future.

Now where's the fun in that?? :D

Gogogo
13-03-2005, 12:02
Now where's the fun in that?? :D

Ah yes, you see it's all fun, sport is fun.

Over the last ten years, England have won the Six Nations 5 times :) , France 4 :) and Scotland once, although of course the contest goes back to 1882. Wales after all has been in the duldrums for a long time and are now in top form, that's life, England in 2004 were really down and now appear to be moving again, yes, this year we, it appears are finished with any chance in the Six Nations even if we defeat Scotland, which is now likely. But next year could be, shall we say, a new ball game! If England keep this momentum up the Six Nations next year may well be in our grasp.

The England team now looks good, there is at last effort, strategy and committment :).

Paul K
13-03-2005, 12:07
The England team now looks good, there is at last effort, strategy and committment :).

Erm we have one how many games since last year? One match does not a new team make. Until Englands' rugby team start going back to basics, concentrate on their own game and not keep relying on one or two players to kick the game for them we will continue to be beaten by teams that we should be pushing to the very limit if not beating. To be honest until our rugby side stops it's habit of focusing it's entire strategy book around JW etc we will carry on losing and we will carry on being humiliated by scorelines that re-inforce our weaknesses.

Russ
13-03-2005, 12:21
Wow, I'll compliment the English team on one thing, they make the transition from heros to zeros in the space of 18 months look like an art form :D

Paul K
13-03-2005, 12:24
Wow, I'll compliment the English team on one thing, they make the transition from heros to zeros in the space of 18 months look like an art form :D
How many years did it take the Welsh to reverse their trend then ;) :p: If you stop the English bashing we'll stop the Welsh bashing. Otherwise people might start thinking that overtly racist comments made by Forum Team members are the norm :dozey: :angel:

Russ
13-03-2005, 12:26
How many years did it take the Welsh to reverse their trend then ;) :p:

Ohh, about 20 years?

If you stop the English bashing we'll stop the Welsh bashing.

People will bash us taffies no matter what, the difference is we're long used to it by now :D

Otherwise people might start thinking that overtly racist comments made by Forum Team members are the norm :dozey: :angel:

How can I be racist if the comments are about the English? :D

Gogogo
13-03-2005, 14:59
Erm we have one how many games since last year? One match does not a new team make. Until Englands' rugby team start going back to basics, concentrate on their own game and not keep relying on one or two players to kick the game for them we will continue to be beaten by teams that we should be pushing to the very limit if not beating. To be honest until our rugby side stops it's habit of focusing it's entire strategy book around JW etc we will carry on losing and we will carry on being humiliated by scorelines that re-inforce our weaknesses.

Let's be positive. JW has been out of England contests for a long time now and I think the players know this. The team's performance yesterday outclassed previous contests and failure. This is almost a new team the Corry heads and I think if you consider the fact that this time the game showed England players had strategy, tactics, committment and performance that result proved it. One now looks forward to the England & Scottish game due next.

I enjoy rugby union no matter the team playing. Credit must be given to the Welsh team who have done very well.

homealone
13-03-2005, 15:33
I really hope Wales go all the way to the Grand Slam, this year, as Gogogo said, Union is a wonderful game, no matter which team plays. (I'm biased because I used to play Rugby at School (even for the school, once ;) ) ).

I remember the Welsh team of the early 70's - Gareth Edwards, JPR Williams, etc, they were truly awesome to watch, it will be nice if the likes of Gavin Henson, etc, will be spoken of with the same reverence.

Chimaera
13-03-2005, 15:57
Well I'm all ready, Welsh rugby shirt on......oh the tension!!!!! :D
(Think I'll do the ironing while I'm watching - it will save my figernails from a chewing :disturbd: )

Chimaera
13-03-2005, 16:55
Half time - and it's Scotland 3 Wales 38! :Yikes:
Hope they haven't peaked too soon :D Not got much ironing done either ;)

Gogogo
13-03-2005, 18:21
The Scotland & Wales game was very exciting. Scotland's poor performance in the first half was more than made up for in the second, the Welsh team looked very worried in the second half. A good game.

England will beat Scotland when they meet.

Chimaera
13-03-2005, 18:21
Final score 22 - 46 to Wales - I thought Russ would have posted the result by now - perhaps he's down the pub celebrating already! :hyper:

homealone
13-03-2005, 18:40
brilliant game :tu:

fantastic performance by Wales in the first half, their backs really 'clicked' & the handling was a joy to watch.

brilliant fight back by Scotland in the second half, at some points it almost looked like they had been inspired by some of the Welsh moves, earlier.

I also thought the referee contributed to keeping the game flowing, the speed with which the second phase ball was coming out, I felt was largely due to his constant nagging at the defending team to keep their hands out of the ruck.

Next week is going to be not for the faint hearted, the Irish will want revenge after being beaten by France - and Wales have the Grand Slam to go for - can't wait :tu:

Russ
14-03-2005, 10:09
Final score 22 - 46 to Wales - I thought Russ would have posted the result by now - perhaps he's down the pub celebrating already! :hyper:

Ohhh you bet I was :D :D :D

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 15:45
Well, according to the news at luch today, Ireland need to beat Wales by 13 clear point on Saturday. Well, nothing like an uphill struggle to get the Irish fired up. (Fingers Crossed).

Russ
15-03-2005, 15:49
Being as objective as possible, I can't see that happening. You may well get away with a win (even though I'd put money on that not happening if I was a betting man!) but given our resurgence, I can't see a 13-point gap opening up.

So for those who tire of my blatant nationalist rantings, don't be around on saturday :D

gazzae
15-03-2005, 16:08
Being as objective as possible, I can't see that happening. You may well get away with a win (even though I'd put money on that not happening if I was a betting man!) but given our resurgence, I can't see a 13-point gap opening up.

So for those who tire of my blatant nationalist rantings, don't be around on saturday :D

Still the French to worry about as well remember.

If Ireland beat Wales, but not by 13+ points, then France can win it by putting a mountain of points up over Italy. 53 if Ireland beat Wales by 1 point.

If Ireland do beat Wales by 13 points then the French need to beat Italy by 42 points to win it.

Russ
15-03-2005, 16:14
Again, semantics - given Wales' recent form I really can't see that happening, but stranger things have ocurred. For example who'd have thought England would go from World Champions to 6 Nation also-rans in the space of 18 months? (Sorry, couldn't help myself there :D)

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 16:18
Again, semantics - given Wales' recent form I really can't see that happening, but stranger things have ocurred. For example who'd have thought England would go from World Champions to 6 Nation also-rans in the space of 18 months? (Sorry, couldn't help myself there :D)

Well considering the spanking Ireland gave them in the Six Nations last year, so soon after winning the World Cup. :D

Russ
15-03-2005, 16:20
Thanks for softening them up :D

Earl of Bronze
15-03-2005, 16:40
Thanks for softening them up :D

Always a pleasure to help our celtic brothers. ;) :D

Russ
15-03-2005, 16:49
Nice!

Say, if Ireland or Wales win, do you think we'll get pages and pages dedicated to us in the national newspapers? Or even headline news? :angel:

carlingman
18-03-2005, 14:22
A Prayer For Saturday -

Our Father, who art in Millennium,

Hwyl be thy name.

Thy Grand slam come,

Tries will be done,

By Jones, Peel and Williams.

Give us this day our bread of heaven

And forgive us our offside,

As we ruck those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into bad discipline.

But deliver us from England.

For Wales is the kingdom, the Dragon and the Daffodil. For ever and ever.

Amen

Earl of Bronze
18-03-2005, 14:34
Nice!

Say, if Ireland or Wales win, do you think we'll get pages and pages dedicated to us in the national newspapers? Or even headline news? :angel:

Doubt it.

You know what the English are like, small article saying they got beaten, massive article slagging of the national team. While trying to iniatiate a witch-hunt against the coaching staff. :rolleyes:

gazzae
18-03-2005, 15:01
Come the day
And come the hour
Come the power and the glory
We have come to answer
Our country's call...
From the four proud provinces of Ireland

Chorus

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We'll answer Ireland's call.

From the mighty
Glens of Antrim
From the rugged hills of Galway
From the walls of Limerick
And Dublin Bay

(chorus)

Hearts of steel
And heads unbowing
Vowing never to be broken
We will fight, until
We can fight no more...
For the four proud provinces of Ireland.

(chorus)

Earl of Bronze
18-03-2005, 15:12
Come the day
And come the hour
Come the power and the glory
We have come to answer
Our country's call...

Chorus

Ireland, Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We'll answer Ireland's call.

From the mighty
Glens of Antrim
From the rugged hills of Galway
From the walls of Limerick
And Dublin Bay

(chorus)

Hearts of steel
And heads unbowing
Vowing never to be broken
We will fight, until
We can fight no more...
For the four proud provinces of Ireland.

(chorus)

Go on the LADS IN GREEN.

Russ
18-03-2005, 15:50
Fair warning for you all - if we win tomorrow I am going to be absolutely unbearable :D

If we lose.......ah well :(

Gareth
18-03-2005, 15:54
Practice your kicking here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/international/kicking_kings/default.stm) in preparation for Wales' glorious victory tomorrow!

homealone
18-03-2005, 15:55
Fair warning for you all - if we win tomorrow I am going to be absolutely unbearable :D

nah, you aren't going to put me off - I'm still going to support Wales :p: :)

Gogogo
19-03-2005, 09:57
OK, here we go. England & Scotland will battle for the Calcutta Cup from 6PM. Martin Corry's team is keen to get stuck in, be on the attack and get those points, let's hope this will result in a resounding defeat for the Scottish team but it may not be easy.

Seti
19-03-2005, 10:00
Wales ROCK and if they win I am going to be insufferable for a month :)

If they loose not only will I :bigcry: but I will be insufferable for TWO months.
Sian:angel:

Paul K
19-03-2005, 10:16

:erm: so what's new in that? Thought you were notifying us of a possible change in attitude..... :p: ;)

bopdude
19-03-2005, 11:10

:erm: so what's new in that? Thought you were notifying us of a possible change in attitude..... :p: ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: handbags at 5 paces ?? come on the lads :tu:

Maggy
19-03-2005, 11:50
Good luck to BOTH sides...

But I will be secretly egging on Wales due to being Welsh by marriage.... ;)

Just don't go on about it for the next 30 years...Oh no that's the English that do that as that's how long it takes between successes... :D

Russ
19-03-2005, 15:37

You WILL notice the difference! :D

Awww man there is such a buzz in Wales today :D

Marge
19-03-2005, 15:48
Well my granny was from Wales so gonna be shouting for them today much as I love the Irish :erm:

Earl of Bronze
19-03-2005, 16:10
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... ............

Sodding tv has just died.

Right before the match. :mad: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Russ
19-03-2005, 16:49
Come on Wales!!!!!!!!!! :D

10-3!!!! Come on!!!!

Richard M
19-03-2005, 17:06
16-3!!! :D

If nobody has posted it yet, you can watch the whole match online here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/ :)

Russ
19-03-2005, 17:40
Come on boyos, we can do this!!!!!

Don't crap out now!!

Feed me till I want no more!!!!!

22-6!!!!

Russ
19-03-2005, 18:14
Woooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Wales are back!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Wele'n sefyll rhwng y myrtwydd
Wrthddrych teilwng o fy mryd
Er o'r braidd 'rwy'n Ei adnabod
Ef uwchlaw gwrthrychau'r byd
Henffych fore!
Caf ei weled fel y mae.
Rhosyn Saron yw Ei enw
Gwyn a gwridog, hardd Ei bryd!
Ar ddeng mil y mae'n rhagori
O wrthddrychau penna'r byd
Ffrind pechadur!
Dyma'r llywydd ar y mor.

Beth sydd imi mwy a wnelwyf
Ag eilunod gwael y llawr?
Tystio 'r wyf nad yw eu cwmni
I'w gymharu a'm Iesu Mawr.
O! am aros
Yn Ei gariad ddyddiau f'oes

Well done to Ireland, you certainly did not make it easy!

Richard M
19-03-2005, 18:18
Woohoo!
:D :D :D

homealone
19-03-2005, 18:25
well done both teams, fantastic game, Irelands fight back in the last quarter pegged Wales back, a bit, but they resisted the pressure magnificently.:cool:

I imagine there may be a few parties in Wales, tonight - have a virtual :beer: on me :tu:

Russ
19-03-2005, 18:27
There are gonna be some sore heads tomorrow :D

Earl of Bronze
19-03-2005, 18:32
Congratulations Wales, the better team won.

Now wheres the whiskey, so I can blot out that terrible Irish performance?

Russ
19-03-2005, 18:41
I now look forward to all the sunday papers dedicating whole segments of their publications to the team, with a centre pull-out of them celebrating.

Perhaps New Year's honours for the whole team was well? How about BBC Sportsman of the Year for Gavin Henson?

Ahhh yes, sorry, it was Wales, not England wasn't it......

Richard M
19-03-2005, 18:56
I now look forward to all the sunday papers dedicating whole segments of their publications to the team, with a centre pull-out of them celebrating.

Perhaps New Year's honours for the whole team was well? How about BBC Sportsman of the Year for Gavin Henson?

Ain't that the truth. :dozey:

carlingman
20-03-2005, 04:57

Well lets hope so Wales deserve all the press they can get now.

Seti
20-03-2005, 05:22
We won, I have a headache :) I watched the repeat specially for the Welsh viewers as well :) Way to go boys. !!!

Sian

Earl of Bronze
20-03-2005, 13:50
Personally I hope that Welsh Rughby gets the coverage in the national press that they rightly deserve. The Welsh team played a blinding championship, and now have to be considered ''The'' team to beat.

Without a doubt, a large portion of the Lions Team for the New Zealand tour will be Welsh.

Paul K
23-03-2005, 18:47
Guess who Wales get to play in their first match in the 2006 Six Nations? ;)
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4376397.stm)
RBS Six Nations 2006 Fixture Schedule:
(all times GMT)

4/5 February 2006
Saturday - Ireland v Italy 1330
Saturday - England v Wales 1530
Sunday - Scotland v France 1500

11/12 February
Saturday - France v Ireland 1330
Saturday - Italy v England 1600
Sunday - Wales v Scotland 1500

25/26 February
Saturday - France v Italy 1400
Saturday - Scotland v England 1730
Sunday - Ireland v Wales 1500

11/12 March
Saturday - Wales v Italy 1330
Saturday - Ireland v Scotland 1530
Sunday - France v England 1500

18/19 March
Saturday - Italy v Scotland 1330
Saturday - Wales v France 1530
Saturday - England v Ireland 1730

Earl of Bronze
23-03-2005, 19:01
Nice find mate. :tu:

I'll have to see about arranging tickets for all three of Irelands home matches next season. :D

me283
23-03-2005, 20:36
I just got back from Hong Kong, where the 7's World Cup was on. Also saw the Wales v Ireland game there, and it was a superb win and well-desreved.

Congratulations Taffs, and congrats also to Fiji for wiping the smiles off of the faces of those smug Kiwi ****s who gloated over England's defeat!

Earl of Bronze
23-03-2005, 20:43
and congrats also to Fiji for wiping the smiles off of the faces of those smug Kiwi ****s who gloated over England's defeat!

Ahhhhh, but dont forget the Fiji specialise at Sevens, and are thus very hard to beat.

I missed the highlights of the Sevens on HK on tv last week, bummer. :( :dozey:

me283
23-03-2005, 20:52
Ahhhhh, but dont forget the Fiji specialise at Sevens, and are thus very hard to beat.

I missed the highlights of the Sevens on HK on tv last week, bummer. :( :dozey:

You missed a feast of top notch rugby. Yes, Fiji are pretty much impossible to beat, but England took them to extra time after missing a last second kick that would have beaten them.

The only "unfriendly" bunch there? The NZ fans... one even made a squeaking sound to his pals, claiming it was the sound of "the wheels coming off the f***ing chariot"! Still, what goes around comes around... Fiji just wiped the floor with them, and laughed while they did it.

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 21:03
Lets face it were screwed!!!!! Poor old England!!!!

me283
23-03-2005, 21:47
Lets face it were screwed!!!!! Poor old England!!!!

We'll be back. The sevens guys are doing great, but the XV are a bit off form. But hey, it's still the world champions we're talking about here!

allieyoung666
23-03-2005, 22:20
Yeah but there is no Johnny, were screwed I tell you screwed!!!!

iadom
23-03-2005, 23:20
no Johnny,

Sp. ;)

Pierre
24-03-2005, 09:33
We'll be back.

RU is in a right old state.

They've had to resort to nicking Andy Farrell from RL, but Farrell is close to 30. He's only gone to RU to continue his career a bit longer becuase it's an easier game.

They nick RL players and RL coaches. RL is the biggest growth sport at amateur level.

Instead of trying to promote RU and bring talent from within the RFUs answer is to try ans steal from the other code.

Very sad.

Scarlett
24-03-2005, 10:08

They've had to resort to nicking Andy Farrell from RL, but Farrell is close to 30. He's only gone to RU to continue his career a bit longer becuase it's an easier game.

They nick RL players and RL coaches. RL is the biggest growth sport at amateur level.

Instead of trying to promote RU and bring talent from within the RFUs answer is to try ans steal from the other code.

Very sad.

hmmm pot-kettle-black...

What happened when RL went pro and RU was still amateur...

I don't think RU is that bad actually. When you look at the lack of experience* in the England side at them moment. They are learning and should be a much better side come next year.

oh yes and well done wales :clap::clap:

Scarlett.

* we lost nearly half the world cup team to retirement and then the injury list during the six nations took most of the others. so rather than the few under experienced players on a team of experienced players we a had a few experienced players in a team of inexperieneced players... next year they will be better.

Russ
24-03-2005, 10:55
Guess who Wales get to play in their first match in the 2006 Six Nations? ;)
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4376397.stm)

Get ready for another spanking - this time on your home turf ;) :D

Gogogo
24-03-2005, 11:02

Very sad.

You are very wrong. There is a lot of rising talent in RU. The England U21, U19 teams are showing good talent, which is rising in RU.

:erm:

Get ready for another spanking - this time on your home turf ;) :D

Enjoy your festivities, you may need to wait another 27 years to win again. The England team is now on a winning roll.

Pierre
24-03-2005, 12:00
You are very wrong. There is a lot of rising talent in RU. The England U21, U19 teams are showing good talent, which is rising in RU.

:erm:

It just makes me laugh that most people in RU circles and RU supporters always belittle RL and look at it as the B'stard son of RU.

But in the same breath they happy to use the skills and techniques of RL coaches and nick RL players (smacks of desperation).

Russ
24-03-2005, 18:01
Enjoy your festivities, you may need to wait another 27 years to win again. The England team is now on a winning roll.

Maybe you Saesnegs will have to wait just as long :D

Gogogo
24-03-2005, 18:37
Maybe you Saesnegs will have to wait just as long :D

:Yikes:

It just makes me laugh that most people in RU circles and RU supporters always belittle RL and look at it as the B'stard son of RU.

But in the same breath they happy to use the skills and techniques of RL coaches and nick RL players (smacks of desperation).

Are but is League really Rugby, all that's needed in League is sprinting!

me283
24-03-2005, 19:37
League is a harder, more physical game; union is more skilful and tactical. I've played both (league as "training" method) and union was my preference... but then I was one of the backs!

England may be on a roll, but that's not hard against Scotland and Italy. Wales are in the ascendence, but have yet to be really tested. In two years time, who knows what the picture will be.

However, if you want to see REAL rugby at a high level, watch the Super 12 then the tri-nations. Check out the current South Africa team - my tip for the next World Cup. Then England will benefit, as they retire them young and some will inevitably end up over here. Look at Skinstad, Krige, Vos etc... mark my words, Springboks are the guys to watch!

Gogogo
25-03-2005, 12:38
League is a harder, more physical game; union is more skilful and tactical. I've played both (league as "training" method) and union was my preference... but then I was one of the backs!England may be on a roll, but that's not hard against Scotland and Italy. Wales are in the ascendence, but have yet to be really tested. In two years time, who knows what the picture will be.However, if you want to see REAL rugby at a high level, watch the Super 12 then the tri-nations. Check out the current South Africa team - my tip for the next World Cup. Then England will benefit, as they retire them young and some will inevitably end up over here. Look at Skinstad, Krige, Vos etc... mark my words, Springboks are the guys to watch!

I used to play for my old school, which no longer exists, now a luxury hotel, and have been a coach for a school team, at a school in Zimbabwe, which no longer exists: when I think of the two, union demands intelligent play, it's a thinking game, needs strategy and very it's physical. But I don't want to encourage the which is better debate but rugby union is as far as I know is the tougher game of the two.

As for England's future, the team has had problems, there is now virtually a new team, the victories against Italy & Scotland are building blocks. I agree the problems will be from the southern hemisphere and that England cannot afford to relax but keep practising and who knows?

Russ
13-04-2005, 19:22
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4439621.stm

Such sour grapes - you can be sure it wouldn't happen to the England side :D

Earl of Bronze
13-04-2005, 19:47
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4439621.stm

Such sour grapes - you can be sure it wouldn't happen to the England side :D

Gotta agree with you 100% there Russ, rather a disgraceful attitude to be taken by Premier Rugby Limited.

sir_drinks_alot
11-05-2005, 02:02
You know i'd like rugby alot more if there was more of this. :naughty:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/05/11.jpg

gazzae
03-06-2005, 16:19
Does anyone know what time the match between Bay of Plenty and the Lions kicks off at tomorrow? Skys coverage starts at 7:30am but it doesn't say what time the match starts at. Don't want to get up any earlier than I have to!

Shadow Demon UK
03-06-2005, 16:30
Kick-off is at 8:10 ;)

gazzae
03-06-2005, 16:32
Set the alarm for 8:09 then :)

gazzae
22-06-2005, 12:33
Wilkinson at 12 instead of Henson?
No Williams in the 22?
No Shanklin in the 22?
Greenwood and Dawson both in the 22?
No Murphy?

marcopolio
23-06-2005, 13:47
Wilkinson has been picked at 12 to counter the unbelievable talent that is Richie McCaw at openside.

McCaw has made a career of destroying an oppoisitions play by targeting the stand off, reducing his game to punts at best. With Jones at 10 and Wilkinson at 12, you have two genuine fly halfs enabling you to go open or blind, and pull the NZ pack around, allowing Peel to snipe through the middle.

By the way, I would be very suprised in Robinson plays full back for the whole game - he may wear 15 but he and Lewsy will exchange positions constantly to change the angles of attack.

Orior
24-06-2005, 14:49
I cannot see the point of this Lions team as I'd much rather see individual countries playing each other.

To me, this is a bit like an all-Europe team doing a tour of Brazil, playing a few clubs and then playing Brazil. So what.

Russ
24-06-2005, 16:49
I cannot see the point of this Lions team as I'd much rather see individual countries playing each other.

Yeah - it's nicer when Wales doesn't have to share the glory with others :D

gazzae
27-06-2005, 10:18
Well that was embarrassing.

Maybe the next test Woodward will stick to what he said at the start of the tour and pick the team on form, not on reputation.

bayonet
27-06-2005, 10:44
Here's my 5 pennurth for what it's worth. I'm a big admirer of Shane Williams he's the type of player that I would pay money to see. Having watched him for years with Neath and then the Ospreys I was worried if he'd cope with people like Rococokko and the new sensation Rico Gear (watch Super12s and you know who I mean) he (Gear) can't even get in the test 22. It was the physical side I thought might be a problem for Shane.

As regards the Henson issue if you listen to SCW's arguement how Peel and Jones played against the French in the 6 nations then it would have made sense to play Henson at 12. I think Jonny W didn't have enough match practice before he went although I must say some of his tackling on Saturday showed he wasn't afraid of getting stuck in.

The main issue was the front 5 no ball no can play, line out a shambles. It still amazes me that in the professional era with all the practice done on throwing in we could not win any decent lineout ball. I still think the test team (or the majority of them) should have had a runout every Saturday before the test. Been watching the 97 Lions to South Africa under Ian McGeechan what a difference.

I want to the beat the AB's but now it will be 200% more difficult after losing the first test. Solution don't know Mike Ruddock is due out in NZ soon if I were him I'd stay at home and get a tan

gazzae
27-06-2005, 11:05
Here's my 5 pennurth for what it's worth. I'm a big admirer of Shane Williams he's the type of player that I would pay money to see. Having watched him for years with Neath and then the Ospreys I was worried if he'd cope with people like Rococokko and the new sensation Rico Gear (watch Super12s and you know who I mean) he (Gear) can't even get in the test 22. It was the physical side I thought might be a problem for Shane.

It could have been, and I also think he lacks a bit with his defensive game, but when you're 21 points down you need a player like Williams who can change a game. He should have at least be on the bench as plan B, but its painfully obvious that there was no plan B.

I was impressed by Wilko's tackling, some of this kicking left a lot to be desired.

The lineout was a complete shambles, it seemed like a lot of players didn't know what the call was, and when Byrne threw in too early which gifted NZ an easy try it was diabolical.

bayonet
27-06-2005, 11:47
I'm not one to ask for the Welsh XV to play for the Lions. Reason it's a Grand Slam after one season nest year will show if this side are any good. In 1971 there were a lot of good English Duckham Pullin Irish WJM Mike Gibson and a few Scots as well. SCW's comment that this was the best prepared side may be correct but without a plan on how you're going to play either the kicking game or run it wide being well prepared means absolutley nothing. Much as he was a pain the a**e they are missing a Martin Johnson type of player/character to lead from the front.

Shadow Demon UK
27-06-2005, 20:16
I agree with what your saying about the lineout situation. You would have thought that the players out there with all the time they have had to practice could throw a ball to their own player (I know its not as simple as that!).

Hopefully that defeat will give them a kick up the backside and get them into gear for the next match where i hope Clive Woodward learns from his mistake of playing players out of position, or not their prefered position (Wilkinson at centre instead of No 10 and Robinson at fullback instead of on the wing).

It wont help loosing Hill, O'driscoll and Grewcock (What was he thinking :nutter:)

We will just have to hope for the best :)

bayonet
28-06-2005, 11:46
Grewcock got done when England were out there before(2 years ago not in the world cup) You have to have your hardmen in the pack but to do something stupid like that and get caught nuff said. The words TV cameras come to mind!!!duh

This morning's game is not going to change much Robinson off at half time?? no idea why, Shane Williams plays full game no idea why.

See the ABs have picked Mr Gear for Saturday if he gets the ball look out. As someone said it's going to be a bumpy ride

Shadow Demon UK
28-06-2005, 14:48
Manawatu 6-109 Lions :Yikes:

What was the point? This doesnt tell us anything except that Manawatu are an awful side. Surely it would have been better for everbody if the Lions faced a half decent side so we could see which players are in form and are good enough to face the all blacks.

A total waste of time IMO!

gazzae
28-06-2005, 15:07
I agree with what your saying about the lineout situation. You would have thought that the players out there with all the time they have had to practice could throw a ball to their own player (I know its not as simple as that!).

Dunno what calls they have in professional rugby probably a lot. When I played rugby our lineout call was pretty simple. It was "**** the pig". **** would be to the back of the lineout, the to the middle and pig to the front. We would usually put them in 3 letter calls with the middle letter corresponding to one of the words in the call. So if the ball was to be thrown to the middle the call would be something like "AEZ" or "WUK" would be to the back of the line out.

Manawatu 6-109 Lions :Yikes:

What was the point? This doesnt tell us anything except that Manawatu are an awful side. Surely it would have been better for everbody if the Lions faced a half decent side so we could see which players are in form and are good enough to face the all blacks.

A total waste of time IMO!

They are by far the weakest side of the tour so far.

Shadow Demon UK
28-06-2005, 15:16
Dunno what calls they have in professional rugby probably a lot. When I played rugby our lineout call was pretty simple. It was "**** the pig". **** would be to the back of the lineout, the to the middle and pig to the front. We would usually put them in 3 letter calls with the middle letter corresponding to one of the words in the call. So if the ball was to be thrown to the middle the call would be something like "AEZ" or "WUK" would be to the back of the line out.
Our lineout calls were similar. We used to use the letters from AND and make a word from the letter we used. A-Front, N-middle and D-back. We then said either green - tap down to scrum half or red - maul, after it. So it would be something like Niargra Green. It was very simple but effective. ;)

I just dont see how they cannot do it properly? It mite be that they are using too many calls which can be confusing (as we found out) or something, but they need to sort it out before the next match otherwise the series maybe over too soon. :(

bayonet
29-06-2005, 00:04
Why do I get a sneaky feeling SCW is not going to pick Shane Williams!! Heard a rumour Mike Ruddock is not going out there now....can't blame him really

Yes that side was very poor this morning Ryan Jones said he spent the first week learning the line out calls says it all really

bayonet
29-06-2005, 09:02
Well you live and learn eh look at this

British & Irish Lions: Josh Lewsey; Jason Robinson, Gareth Thomas (captain,), Gavin Henson, Shane Williams; Jonny Wilkinson, Dwayne Peel; Gethin Jenkins, Steve Thompson, Julian White; Paul O'Connell, Donncha O'Callaghan; Simon Easterby, Lewis Moody, Ryan Jones.
Replacements: Shane Byrne, Graham Rowntree, Martin Corry, Martyn Williams, Matt Dawson, Stephen Jones, Shane Horgan.

Interesting back line no Welsh bias there.......LOL

The pack is a different matter with Thompson a worry with his throwing in

gazzae
29-06-2005, 10:08
Far better selection. Still have my doubts about one or two players.

Gogogo
02-07-2005, 10:37
Lions & NZ so far 34 - 13

What a game, brutal outbreaks of schoolboy behaviour, ref seemed rather lenient, some one should have gone to the sin bin. a good game, good play from Lions but clearly NZ have the edge.

:Yikes:

bayonet
05-07-2005, 08:46
Not big enough not fast enough not hard enough and in the end not Good Enough.

What a team this AB side are going to get my tickets for the Autumn internationals. Don't want to miss this chance to see them, can get the three tickets for £99 what a bargain

No sign on the WRU site yet