PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations on a new router

Alan Waddington
01-02-2005, 22:07
My Linksys BEFSR41 has become unreliable (yes I've hard reset it for 30secs, but it still keeps going down - looks like a memory fault) so I'm going to get a replacement.

Any thoughts on which is the best 4 port router currently.

Thanks
Alan

Tezcatlipoca
01-02-2005, 22:12
I got a Linksys WRT54G after my old BEFSR41 finally died. Very good router. 4 ports, like the BEFSR41, but also has a built-in wireless G access point :tu:

iain_herts
01-02-2005, 22:44
also have a Linksys WRT54G had it for just over 2 years and in that time only played up the once and that was solved my updateing the software. very easy to setup

Alan Waddington
01-02-2005, 22:49
Thanks for the recommendations. I might get another Linksys, since my current ones been Ok up to now and is an old favourite, but wondered whether whether a netgear router might be worth a look also.

Cheers
Alan

iron25
01-02-2005, 23:31
I've had a Netgear RP614 Router for several months now and I've got no complaints with it. Most routers have the same functions so whether it's a netgear, linksys or belkin you opt for I can't see there being a great deal of difference. The choice would probably be down to money and personal preference of manufacturer.

gary_580
02-02-2005, 00:17
Ive got a WRT54GS and have never got the wireless to work very reliably. Hard wired its great but wireless its a nightmare and well documented on the net

Stephen
02-02-2005, 00:19
My Linksys router is also playing up keeps dropping the connection at random. Very annoying.

Raistlin
02-02-2005, 00:21
I've got the WRT54GS, as per my signature, and (apart from a few teething problems - which were solved by changing the wireless channel) I haven't had any problems with it.

BTW, sorry Gary but I always seem to end up posting this recommendation immediately after you post about your problems with this router. Sorry mate, I'm not stalking you - honestly :D

danielf
02-02-2005, 00:25
My linksys wrt54gs has been fine for the couple of months that I had it (as was the befsr41 I used before that)

Alan Waddington
02-02-2005, 00:29
Thanks chaps for the comments. New router tomorrow :)

handyman
02-02-2005, 00:54
so what did you decide on?

After a linksys wireless last year I find my belkin much more reliable.

Alan Waddington
02-02-2005, 23:39
so what did you decide on?

After a linksys wireless last year I find my belkin much more reliable.

There didn't appear to be any strong recommendations so i bought another linksys BEFSR41. The wireless routers were tempting, but since the house is wired (about a year before the wireless routers appeared D'oh!) it wasn't really justified.

The BEFSR41 ver. 3 doesn't have as many LEDs as my old router. I guess cisco (ex linksys) are building it down to a price. Perhaps the lack of a red DIAG lamp means that it never goes wrong & doesn't need one.

However there are more config options, even though my old router had the latest firmware. The BEFSR41 ver.3 probably has a bigger flash memory. There are some interesting options for use with a dynamic DNS service for instance.

The firmware has of course been flashed to the latest & the admin password changed. My router. keep out ;)

Anyway, the main thing is that it appears to have solved my problem, although I'll wait for a couple of days before uncrossing my fingers.

Alan

gary_580
02-02-2005, 23:59
I've got the WRT54GS, as per my signature, and (apart from a few teething problems - which were solved by changing the wireless channel) I haven't had any problems with it.

BTW, sorry Gary but I always seem to end up posting this recommendation immediately after you post about your problems with this router. Sorry mate, I'm not stalking you - honestly :D

I thought i'd developed a nervous twitch, but now i realise im just looking over my shoulder all of the time!