PDA

View Full Version : 'Asteroid To Possibly Hit Earth'

Mick
02-09-2003, 17:42
Yes its been confirmed by astronomers, that they believe an asteroid may hit Earth on March 21, 2014.

The newly discovered asteroid, known as 2003 QQ47, is around 2 thirds of a mile wide and has been classified as "an event meriting careful monitoring" by astronomers.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12757657,00.html

They will hopefully be telling us by tomorrow that its way off course like that XF-11 was a few years back. :erm:

ic14
02-09-2003, 17:44
Great thanks for posting that!!

Im so happy to know that my college education may go to waste.........

Lord Nikon
02-09-2003, 17:50
Originally posted by Dr. Plummer
Yes its been confirmed by astronomers, that they believe an asteroid may hit Earth on March 21, 2004.

The newly discovered asteroid, known as 2003 QQ47, is around 2 thirds of a mile wide and has been classified as "an event meriting careful monitoring" by astronomers.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12757657,00.html

They will hopefully be telling us by tomorrow that its way off course like that XF-11 was a few years back. :erm:

You muppet, its 2014 :rofl:

also

But they say the probability of the asteroid hitting Earth is just one in 909,000 and the risk of impact is likely to decrease as they collect more information.

Mick
02-09-2003, 17:53
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
You muppet, its 2014 :P lol

also

[quote]
But they say the probability of the asteroid hitting Earth is just one in 909,000 and the risk of impact is likely to decrease as they collect more information.

[/B]

Sorry typo, no need for vulgarities. ;)

I included the sky news link for reference, as I did not want to quote the whole article for copyright reasons. ;)

Edit: Actually I copied and pasted that date from this page on sky news website....

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12757996,00.html

Lord Nikon
02-09-2003, 17:54
well, thats the first time I have ever seen a reference to Jim Henson's creations referred to as a vulgarity lol

:D

Defiant
02-09-2003, 17:54
Its good how they can give a day and year they should have gone the whole hog and put a time on it lol

Mick
02-09-2003, 18:00
Originally posted by Defiant
Its good how they can give a day and year they should have gone the whole hog and put a time on it lol

Give them time.... A time will be announced and a place of impact (if its really really gonna hit that is).

Why is it we do not take things like this seriously.... :shrug:

Lord Nikon
02-09-2003, 18:01
Perhaps we will see people downloading or buying copies of "The end of the world as we know it" :D

Reminds me of a weather forecaster saying "There will definitely be no storms tonight"

timewarrior2001
02-09-2003, 18:04
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and
snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn - world
serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs. Feed
it off an aux speak, grunt, no, strength, Ladder
start to clatter with fear fight down height. Wire
in a fire, representing seven games, a government
for hire and a combat site. Left of west and coming in
a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck. Team
by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing! Fine, then. Uh oh,
overflow, population, common food, but it'll do. Save
yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs,
listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and
the revered and the right, right. You vitriolic,
patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty
psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign
towers. Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself
churn. Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood
letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh, this means no
fear cavalier. Renegade steer clear! A tournament,
tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions,
offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I dreamt of knives, continental
drift divide. Mountains sit in a line, Leonard
Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester
Bangs. Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom! You
symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel
fine...fine...

(It's time I had some time alone)

:D

Lord Nikon
02-09-2003, 18:06
Actually I copied and pasted that date from this page on sky news website....

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12757996,00.html

ROFLMAO -
::UFO containing intelligent extra-terrestrial life forms to land outside Number 10 Downing Street and abduct current PM

Surely the most profound proof that they were intelligent would be that they wouldn't kidnap Blair?

His current ideas of the cart black box and the biometric passports would be classable as a Blair Witch-hunt Project :D

Tricky
02-09-2003, 18:07
So which hollywood film is about to be released? Anyone want to plant some nukes on it?

Mick
02-09-2003, 18:10

See what I mean.... the threat of human extinction and everyone laughs it off... :disturbd: :D

Jarandco
02-09-2003, 18:43
Well we can just hope it wont hit.. although there have been a few of these sort of warning but ntohing ever happened! :)

Well ill go and visit space for a week between march 18th and 25th 2014 i wonder if it will be busy then maybe i should get my tickets now....

trebor
02-09-2003, 18:44
See what I mean.... the threat of human extinction and everyone laughs it off... :disturbd: :D

laugh, cry, take it seriously or not, it really doesn't matter because there's nothing you can do about.
unless you
1}own a nuke and a space craft
2} you are an alien from another planet, then you just leave

;) :D

Bex
02-09-2003, 18:47
Originally posted by trebor
laugh, cry, take it seriously or not, it really doesn't matter because there's nothing you can do about.
unless you
1}own a nuke and a space craft

exactly, if it happens it happens, we can't change it or really do anything about it...............**** happens :p

Mick
02-09-2003, 18:53
With something the size of this menace, okay not that big to conventional astroids, but still something with the sheer size and speed of it and its potential damage, I do not think nuking would be a viable solution.

kronas
02-09-2003, 18:57
isnt this a slight over reaction there is a scale of 1-10 like the richter scale for earthquakes this is 1 a small risk yes a huge thing in diameter but not supposed to hit us hence the 1 small risk rating

Chris
02-09-2003, 19:19
Well just in case anyone is starting to give serious thought to the afterlife, can I recommend a look here (http://church.co.uk) ;)

kronas
02-09-2003, 19:22
Originally posted by towny
Well just in case anyone is starting to give serious thought to the afterlife, can I recommend a look here (http://church.co.uk) ;)

here we go religion rears its ugly head once more trying to capitalize on the 'fear' that some people have over something which wont affect us in this instance

glad i blocked it with my firewall :p ;)

Lord Nikon
02-09-2003, 20:08
Originally posted by trebor
[snip]

*looks for his electronic thumb, a towel, and an electronic book with the words "Don't Panic" on the cover in large friendly letters*

Mick
02-09-2003, 20:13
Originally posted by kronas
isnt this a slight over reaction there is a scale of 1-10 like the richter scale for earthquakes this is 1 a small risk yes a huge thing in diameter but not supposed to hit us hence the 1 small risk rating

No Kronas its not an over reaction, its a discussion about the possiblity of it hitting Earth, nothing more. It is currently in the news hence the discussion - thats what the Current Affairs forum is for, I thought. ;)

Chris
03-09-2003, 00:06
Originally posted by kronas
glad i blocked it with my firewall :p ;)

I'd love to see your firewall try to stop a mile-wide asteroid in its tracks:D

PS Religion is not capitalizing on your fear, it's offering you a constructive way out of your fear. And if you're not just a little scared at the thought of being vapourized by an asteroid, you're a bit dim, IMHO.

MovedGoalPosts
03-09-2003, 00:42

er is this a good time to be worrying about "the cap"? :blush: :D

Gogogo
03-09-2003, 09:07
See NASA report (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qq47.html)

There are over 530 near earth objects to think about.

Mick
03-09-2003, 10:30
Originally posted by Gogogo
See NASA report (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2003qq47.html)

There are over 530 near earth objects to think about.

There is probably ten times that amount, it is a big arse sky and they only have a small budget that covers observing for asteriods particularly the ones that cross the Earth's Orbit. They say they have only accounted for about 10% of near Earth objects because thats all the budget allows for these observations.

Gogogo
03-09-2003, 11:13
There is probably ten times that amount, it is a big arse sky and they only have a small budget that covers observing for asteriods particularly the ones that cross the Earth's Orbit. They say they have only accounted for about 10% of near Earth objects because thats all the budget allows for these observations.

Now there's a thought. We are already aware that Congressional concerns in regard to budget may have played a role in the Challenger and Colombia disasters, so as that unknown big one approaches earth one day and we have 7 days to think about England our last thoughts could be those s.o.b's in the US Congress who thought NASA's budget needed trimming!

Enjoy life and make each day count!

:)

zoombini
03-09-2003, 11:30
Come on people, this is absolutely nothing to get worried about at all.

We all know that these things ALWAYS have the US Eastern Seaboard/coast for thier eventual destination and then the Americans save the day and prevent the disaster.

It will never hit anywhere that will put the UK in jepoardy & even if it does we wont know until seconds before it hits & then all we will get told is to have a cup of tea first.

Where have you been all these years!

Gogogo
03-09-2003, 11:37
Originally posted by zoombini

We all know that these things ALWAYS have the US Eastern Seaboard/coast for thier eventual destination and then the Americans save the day and prevent the disaster.

So it's up to Arnie then?

Mick
03-09-2003, 12:33
Originally posted by zoombini

So the threat of extinction is nothing to worry about then ? :eek: Not in particular about this astroid but there could be another on a collision course with Earth in the future. Experts believe we are due an event such as that what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, its people with the same opinion as yours that puts small budgets on observations on near Earth objects that could wipeout life on Earth. The threat is real but because of its scale of total destruction people believe this to be nonsense and ignore it. Ignorance in this instance is not so bliss.

zoombini
03-09-2003, 12:58
YEs but you dont get the point do you, they do not hit "here" they hit the US and they always manage to save the planet...lol

Enterian
03-09-2003, 13:06
From SKY new report: Well the odds are good at 909,000/1.

Anyone else noticed that those odds are considerably better than the 14,000,000/1 of winning the lottery?

[Thinking mode on]
Hang on a minute, who the hell is going to bet on it, and if they win:

a) they probably wont be able to collect their winnings

b) the money will probably not have any value anyway!
[/Thinking mode off]

I think I'll keep my quid in my pocket!

trebor
03-09-2003, 14:11
So the threat of extinction is nothing to worry about then ? :eek: Not in particular about this astroid but there could be another on a collision course with Earth in the future. Experts believe we are due an event such as that what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, its people with the same opinion as yours that puts small budgets on observations on near Earth objects that could wipeout life on Earth. The threat is real but because of its scale of total destruction people believe this to be nonsense and ignore it. Ignorance in this instance is not so bliss.

now you can panic there are 5 more and 2 for Mars as well (dam there goes my holiday home)
http://neat.jpl.nasa.gov/

timewarrior2001
03-09-2003, 14:29
The whole reason no one is phased by this kind of thing is that it has been Such a long time since a metorite big enough to cause extinction has hit, that people just say, well if it was likely to happen it would have happened more often.

Ok so one did hit Siberia about a hundred years ago, but that was pretty small.

They STILL dont know for sure thats what wiped the Dinosaurs out, is just touted as the MOST LIKELY theory of it.

And extinction isnt anythign to worry about, at the end of the day when we are all dead whats to worry about anyway?
Vaporisation is a quick and its certainly gonna be painless, so quick in fact that the pain wouldnt have chance to register before we were just atoms of carbon.

I dont see a reason to worry:shrug:

kronas
03-09-2003, 17:24
I'd love to see your firewall try to stop a mile-wide asteroid in its tracks:D

lol...........

PS Religion is not capitalizing on your fear, it's offering you a constructive way out of your fear.

yes it is by taking your mind off it and feeding you false hope and 'information' about what wil happen when they 'leave'.....

And if you're not just a little scared at the thought of being vapourized by an asteroid

i am but as i said before this one is NOT a threat to us so why panic i believe we should try and work with the US and other countries to build a system of eliminating an asteroid in the event of one on a direct course to hit us

you're a bit dim, IMHO.

well you dont know me and i dont know you so how you came to that judgment was from a totally no woefully misguided judgement

ntluser
03-09-2003, 19:47
I agree with kronas that we do need to develop some kind of global space defence system to protect ourselves as much as we can from asteroids and other space debris.

We just have to make sure that the warheads on the system can only face outwards so no country or indeed future alien invader can hack the system and hold the world to ransom.

Chris
03-09-2003, 20:12
Originally posted by ntluser
I agree with kronas that we do need to develop some kind of global space defence system to protect ourselves as much as we can from asteroids and other space debris.

We just have to make sure that the warheads on the system can only face outwards so no country or indeed future alien invader can hack the system and hold the world to ransom.

Hmm, an Interplanetary Patrol organisation established to guard Earth from peril and take care of all nuclear weapons in order to stop them being misused ... truth is stranger than fiction after all. Step forward Robert A Heinlein.

Did anyone else read Space Cadet at school?

Graham
03-09-2003, 20:48
Towny:

Actually, I think you're thinking of Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and Project Space Guard.

See http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/reports/spaceguard/index.html or

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/letter_from_america/1664088.stm

Chris
03-09-2003, 21:16
Originally posted by Graham
Towny:

Actually, I think you're thinking of Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama and Project Space Guard.

Nope, I was thinking of Heinlein ... one of my favourite authors when I were a lad ... I've not read those books you mention, but it wouldn't be the first time Arthur C Clarke has been accused of being visionary!

Graham
03-09-2003, 21:35
I've read both, but I'm pretty sure Space Cadet isn't the one you mean.

homealone
03-09-2003, 22:08
nah you are both wrong, it was Stargate, where SG1 were brokering a deal to get Ion Cannon from the Tollans to protect Earth from the Goa'uld.:D

ntluser
03-09-2003, 23:01
Originally posted by homealone
nah you are both wrong, it was Stargate, where SG1 were brokering a deal to get Ion Cannon from the Tollans to protect Earth from the Goa'uld.:D

Yes, you're right. That episode had the kind of space defence system that I envisaged. Hence the reference to making certain the system could not be used to attack the Earth.

homealone
03-09-2003, 23:23
Originally posted by ntluser
Yes, you're right. That episode had the kind of space defence system that I envisaged. Hence the reference to making certain the system could not be used to attack the Earth.

:notopic: Stargate is back in October with a new series - & Christopher Judge & Michael Shanks are guest stars in an episode of Andromeda, soon. (15.09.03)

gaz

Chris
04-09-2003, 09:12
Originally posted by Graham
I've read both, but I'm pretty sure Space Cadet isn't the one you mean.

There isn't a space defence system against asteroids in Space Cadet, I was just thinking about the principle that orbital nukes should be in the hands of a neutral organisation so no nutter can start a war. In Space Cadet, one of Matt Dodson's early assignments is maintenance of the orbiting nuclear missile platforms.

zoombini
04-09-2003, 09:51
They all seem to do the rounds of these programs, switching from one to the other. E.G. I see Carter in several other Sky programs.