PDA

View Full Version : Fastest upload at reasonable price??

Earwig
30-01-2005, 12:08
This has nothing to do with NTL and indeed cable but being the most knowledgable forum I have found I thought it the best place for an answer...
If unsuitable for here then please just remove the topic... ;)

So who does provide the fastest upload in the UK at a reeasonable price. Obviously you can get SDSL at £100's P/m but I find that ridiculess.

I have also looked at satalite but from what I have seen these tend to charge the price of a mortgage to!

Bonded lines seem a good idea but once you have the second, third etc...BT line installed and pay for all the connections this to becomes kinda pricey....

There must be someway us here in the UK can get a half decent amount of upload without having to sell Kidney's for?? :p:

Neil
30-01-2005, 12:10
*Moved to Other ISPs Discussion Forum*

Earwig
30-01-2005, 12:18
Hehehe...Never knew this section was here??

Sorry...If I had known I would have put it here instead.....

ian@huth
30-01-2005, 12:41
How fast an upload you can get is governed by how far you are from your BT exchange and which ISPs offer services from there. Unfortunately it will be costly for anything above 256 k uploads. What a reasonable cost is will all depend on your definition of reasonable. Some people consider all UK broadband prices as being unreasonable when compared to what you can get in other countries.

The only way to get the answer you want is to find out the distance you are from the BT exchange and then start googling as the answer will be unique to your property.

To find the distance you are from your BT exchange you need to have a BT phone active or a very near neighbour with one. From the BT phone dial 17070 then press option 3 (fast test) then press option 1 (fib a bit to say you are authorised) then press option 2 (ring back test). Then put the phone down. A few seconds later you will be called back with information including your distance from the exchange in kilometres.

enjoymarcus
31-01-2005, 03:21
Keep your ntl, then get a 2nd ADSL line with a 256k upload, then buy this bad boy (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?CategoryID=48&ProductID=915&ShopGroupID=12) and you will have a connection with 512kb upload for like £50/60 a month.

Millay
31-01-2005, 03:57
Keep your ntl, then get a 2nd ADSL line with a 256k upload, then buy this bad boy (http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?CategoryID=48&ProductID=915&ShopGroupID=12) and you will have a connection with 512kb upload for like £50/60 a month.

Thats a crackin bit of kit, and who is to say you couldnt get a second ntl broadband connection in your home ( i dont know if you can but can imainge it possible).

But surly your upload is still set at 256kbps a second, the only advantage being you could upload two files both at 256kbps.

Hope that makes sense, it is rather late..

Earwig
01-02-2005, 18:26
From what I gather looking at this bit of kit it is essetially "Bonding" the 2 lines??

I could have my NTL and say Plusnet ADSL and put them both into this Load Balancer and when NTL go to 3MB combine this with the Plusnet 2MB ADSL, I would in theory have 5MB down and 512 up on 1 PC??

Sounds pretty good to me, but is this what you meant??