PDA

View Full Version : D-Link 624+ & NTL Cable 200 modem

lspight
29-01-2005, 21:32
I have a problem !
I've connected to the Internet with the cable modem connected directly to my laptop using an Ethernet cable.
When I move the Ethernet cable from the cable modem to the D-Link 624+ WAN port and run through the wizard the status shows up an NTL IP address only when I use the same MAC address as the cable modem. If the D-Link 624+ uses its own then the status window shows no IP address as if the modem is not connected to the NTL service or not connected to the router.
I can also connect to the D-Link 624+ router admin interface 192.168.0.1
However when I try to connect to an internet site I'm presented with the page cannot be displayed.
The D-Link 624+ has been configured as a DHCP server and my laptop picks up dynamic addresses.
Whats the correct configuration for the 624+ to allow my wireless laptop to connect to it and out onto the laptop with the cable modem?

maxtoralias
29-01-2005, 23:07
I too have the same set up as you, apart from the fact that my initial configuration was completed via a pc connected directly to the cable modem. Repeat the initial configuration you carried out by directly connecting to the modem via the laptop to ensure that everything works (ie you can get onto the net)
Once this is working, turn off the modem and connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port on the router. Restart your modem and manually check the settings are as follows by logging into the router wirelessly.
1.WAN settings - dynamic IP address
2.Press 'Clone MAC address' - this will effectively be the address of the device you are using to conect to the router (wireless card, etc) and then on to the modem.
3. DHCP server set to enabled
4.Static DHCP disabled
5. Save the settings on the router which will effectively restart it and le voila - were cooking on gas

This should enable direct connection to the internet. Any problems let me know

badnbusy
30-01-2005, 10:28
A simple reboot of the cable modem should do it.

outlawridah
30-01-2005, 12:21
so what your saying is to connect the modem by itself onto the laptop computer (not host) then if it works on that, then put the cable modem back onto the router on the host computer??

lspight
30-01-2005, 21:28
I simple reboot of the cable modem wasnt the solution.

maxtoralias was however spot on the mark

When you first activate your account online with NTL they use the first MAC address connected to the cable modem. All I had to do is change the MAC address on the D-Link router to that of the Ethernet MAC address on my laptop which was the first device connected and Voila problem fixed.

Thanks for all your input on this.;)

johnworf
12-10-2006, 12:46
hi,

just to help anyone else who may have problems - make sure your connections are sound - i had a problem with the cable - it wasn't working.

make sure your WAN light is working - not the WLAN light (that should always be on - that's the wireless bit).

If number one light is on try taking the cable out of the modem and sticking one end in 2 and the other in 4 - both of those lights should come on - assuming you have your box connected to the mains!

If the lights don't come on get another cable.

it took me several hours to find this stupid fault!!!!

ARGGHHH!!!