PDA

View Full Version : New Vonage Subscriber.... Will keep you posted

gimpymoo
27-01-2005, 15:41
Have just signed up with Vonage. Looks to be a good service on the outside.

Will update reguarly on quality of both the service and their customer service.

They quote 6 days delivery of the Linksys adapter so will keep you all posted on when it arrives.

gimpymoo
31-01-2005, 17:37
Telephone adapter arrived today.. 2nd working day after the order so prompt delivery.

Arrived with:

Linksys Router/Telephone Adapter
A/C Adapter
Patch Cable
1.1 Setup Disk and 2.0 Setup disk
Linksys setup guide / Instruction book
A nice Vonage welcome pack
A Vonage "Quick" list of the most usefull features.

Not had chance to install as yet. Will install later.

Anyone know if my landline number can be ported acroos to my vonage service?

bob_a_builder
21-02-2005, 14:01
Any updates yet, looking interesting ...

bucketbakereturn
21-02-2005, 16:18
yea i want to hear about this one, gonna have a good crack at Skype when the upgrades happen mid March.

Bifta
21-02-2005, 16:31
Not much point using it if you have a BT land line, you can pay £9.99 to quite a few different providers to get unlimited local and national calls, unless I'm missing something obvious.

bob_a_builder
21-02-2005, 16:55
But If I'm on NTL, I can save the current phone line rental, just pay for the SACM (drop NTL line rental) , £25ish/month + 9.99 to Vonage - net saving £2.99 + no call charges inside the UK (except mobiles).

Mind you once her indoors gets on to her mum, could eat up a good bit of the future capping limits ?

etccarmageddon
01-06-2005, 16:20
and caller display is FREE.

punky
01-06-2005, 16:46
I thought you were supposed to get unlimited free calls abroad, but considering it is only one penny cheaper than one.tel to call the US, (with one.tel you pay no monthly fee, unlike Vonage where you pay £10/month), I am not in a huge rush to swap.

etccarmageddon
01-06-2005, 17:02
the benefit of vonage is that you can ditch your BT line as you are making calls via your broadband connection. you plug your BT phone into a box which connects into your Broadband connection.

etccarmageddon
04-07-2005, 07:52
I was in Stockport Staples a couple of weeks ago and they had a shelf full of Vonage boxes. I called in on Saturday and they've all gone. Checked the store in Ashton and none their. Either there's been a product recall or they are selling like hot cakes.

Bifta
04-07-2005, 08:45
the benefit of vonage is that you can ditch your BT line as you are making calls via your broadband connection. you plug your BT phone into a box which connects into your Broadband connection.

Unless of course you're one of the millions of ADSL subscribers.

etccarmageddon
05-07-2005, 16:37
It might become more attractive to ADSL line users in the future:-

http://www.vonage.co.uk/uk/corp_english/news.html?PR=2005_05_20_3

Services like this could dramatically shake-up the business model of international calling...

...One of the main issues for net telephony providers lies in the fact that customers will need to have a broadband connection, which in turns means many will also be paying a monthly rental to BT for that line.

One solution going by the somewhat exciting name of "naked DSL", could change this.

Naked DSL is a buzzword in the industry at the moment. Basically it would mean that people could pay for their broadband subscription without having also to pay for line rental.......

According to Vonage, regulator Ofcom is considering the issues and it is hopeful changes can be introduced in the next 18 months.

etccarmageddon
07-07-2005, 00:33
This is on their main web pages:-

Is there a long-term commitment?
No. Vonage will not make you sign a long-term commitment.

But in their terms and conditions when you sign up this sneaky termination charge is hidden in the small print.

10.2 If you end this Agreement you must pay everything you owe on your account as set out in Section 7.4 and a disconnect fee which is currently £23.99.