PDA

View Full Version : NTL Infrastructure

lbj
24-01-2005, 13:41
Hey Guys,

Ive recently moved house (only about 4 miles), and when callin to have my ntl services activated, I was told that the area had not been cabled.

Im now struggling along on a crap 512k ADSL connection.

How can I fond out when NTL intend to upgrade the area to provide services. I dont live in the outbacks but am on a relativley new housing estate.

lbj

Tristan
24-01-2005, 13:44
Sorry to tell you this, but if you're estate's not cabled now, it probably never will be. Putting wires in the ground costs a hell of a lot of money, and neither cableco has that sort of cash to spend at the moment.

What is likely to happen over the next couple of years is that you'll be able to get NTL's services (BB, TV, phone) via your DSL connection, but that's probably some time away.

Neil
24-01-2005, 14:04
Hey Guys,

Ive recently moved house (only about 4 miles), and when callin to have my ntl services activated, I was told that the area had not been cabled.

Im now struggling along on a crap 512k ADSL connection.

How can I fond out when NTL intend to upgrade the area to provide services. I dont live in the outbacks but am on a relativley new housing estate.

lbj

Hi, & :welcome: to the site.

Sorry, but I don't think ntl will be doing any more 'new builds' :(

They are going to offer people who aren't in an already cabled area a range of services called 'Freedom' http://freedom.ntl.com

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/116/new-ntl-freedom-products-for-14m-households

Enjoy the site. :)

leemel
09-02-2005, 00:14
You still have to pay BT line rental....so why not use a decent adsl provider...couple that with a cheap talk plan with BT or one of the thousands of competitors...bobs your uncle.
Never give another penny to this company. The sooner they can offer a service to customers, the better, but until then, boycott them.

slowcoach
09-02-2005, 01:36
You still have to pay BT line rental....so why not use a decent adsl provider...couple that with a cheap talk plan with BT or one of the thousands of competitors...bobs your uncle.
Never give another penny to this company. The sooner they can offer a service to customers, the better, but until then, boycott them.
The point he is making is that his current 512Kb ADSL connection is crap compared to his previous NTL connection, changing providers ain't going to make a difference, hey but 8Mb is coming in the Autumn, but again it will be a case of technology outstripping the infrastructure, so it's 512Kb forever.
ADSL speed is too variable to be considered seriously, course if you ain't got the option of cable then it's tough.