PDA

View Full Version : double billing

darkvisor
21-01-2005, 12:21
is it legal to forget to mention that you are double billed on your first 1 month to pay in advance as i just found out today with a £107.00 dd. canceled the dd and the package so wait until back to normal

Graham F
21-01-2005, 12:29
not double billed then :rolleyes: just charged in advance for the service as most suppliers will do

darkvisor
21-01-2005, 12:46
yes but shouldn't i be told about it when i make the purchase,

Neil
21-01-2005, 12:56
is it legal to forget to mention that you are double billed on your first 1 month to pay in advance as i just found out today with a £107.00 dd. canceled the dd and the package so wait until back to normal

That's not "double billing" at all, it's "Pro Rata" billing, & is pretty much standard for any company that you get monthly services from.

darkvisor
21-01-2005, 13:04
so what do i do now i have a bill for £107, all i can do is cancel my dd, then cancel service, wait 1 month and should be back to normal

Stuart
21-01-2005, 13:09
so what do i do now i have a bill for £107, all i can do is cancel my dd, then cancel service, wait 1 month and should be back to normal

Depends if there is a cooling off period for NTL contracts (not sure if there is).

If there isn't a cooling off period (or you are outside it), then you may not be able to cancel your service (not without heavy penalties anyway).

scrotnig
21-01-2005, 13:29
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=382191&postcount=9

If you cancel your DD all that will happen is that ultimately your service will get suspended and you'll still be billed for it.

You have to pay for each day you have the service.

If you've just been installed then your first bill covers the next month in advance, plus the part month back to the day of install.

They don't HAVE to advise you of this, since all they'd be doing is advising you that you will be billed for every day you have the service.

seaneeboy
21-01-2005, 14:07
yes but shouldn't i be told about it when i make the purchase,

I think you are - I've not checked the T&C Recently but I'm fairly sure it outlines the charges being one month in advance...

darkvisor
21-01-2005, 14:13
thanks for the reply but you state that i get billed for each day i have the service, so how come i have paid for feb when i havn't had the service yet,

looks like dutch doors to me

Neil
21-01-2005, 14:16
I think you are - I've not checked the T&C Recently but I'm fairly sure it outlines the charges being one month in advance...

Taken from http://www.home.ntl.com/page/termsresidential

Section 6: Charges & Payment.

You will be liable for the Charges from the day on which we first make the Services available to you unless we notify you otherwise.

[Edit]

http://www.ntl.com/home/help/billingfaqs.asp#billedinadvance

Q. Why have I been charged for more than one month's subscription for my ntl services?

We believe in offering you the flexibility to change your package when it suits you - even if that means switching in the middle of the billing month. If you have added new products or services since your last bill, your latest bill will be different to previous months. It's extremely unlikely that you have been overcharged - remember, everyone is billed in advance each month for their packages.

Say for instance, you added new services on 16th you will pay an additional charge for the days from 16th until your next bill is generated on e.g. 1st.[/b]

HTH.

Graham F
21-01-2005, 14:19
Darkvisor show me a supplier that doesn't charge in advance for BB - they all do AFAIK

Stuart
21-01-2005, 14:29
thanks for the reply but you state that i get billed for each day i have the service, so how come i have paid for feb when i havn't had the service yet,

Not really. If you go into a shop (or if you get something mail order), as a consumer, you pay for the goods before you get them. Same thing really.

scrotnig
21-01-2005, 14:47

When your first bill generates, you will be billed one month in advance for the forthcoming month, this is normal and happens on every bill.

However, at that point, because it's your first bill, there is a period of about two weeks (this can vary) from the date you were installed to the date of the first bill. You have already had service for that period, but have not yet been billed for it. Therefore, the first bill takes account of this period.

The same also happens if you change packages part way through a billing month, the next bill after that will take account of any charges and/or credits due.

seaneeboy
21-01-2005, 21:55
Taken from http://www.home.ntl.com/page/termsresidential

Section 6: Charges & Payment.

[Edit]

http://www.ntl.com/home/help/billingfaqs.asp#billedinadvance

HTH.

Aaaaaaiiiiithankyouandgoodnight!

dvboy
22-01-2005, 12:00
NTL make it quite clear in their welcome pack that they bill a month in advance.