PDA

View Full Version : What Router?

Zouk
30-08-2003, 21:15
Hi,

I have my xbox live in my room, and my newish laptop. I just wanted to know what the best router would be for this set up. And also, is a wireless one just as good?

thank you please

XiceWolf
30-08-2003, 21:17
Ill do someone elses job and welcome you to nthellworld :D I believe xbox.com has a list somewhere of compatible routers.

slysy
30-08-2003, 21:22
Originally posted by Zouk
Hi,

I have my xbox live in my room, and my newish laptop. I just wanted to know what the best router would be for this set up. And also, is a wireless one just as good?

thank you please

Wireless routers work great IMO, unless you are paranoid about security.

Tezcatlipoca
30-08-2003, 22:04
If you want to get a normal router, then I'd recommend the Linksys BEFSR41. I use one, as do many other people here, & they're v good.

If you want a wireless router, then Caspar is the person to ask.

Caspar
30-08-2003, 23:34
Originally posted by Tezcatlipoca
If you want to get a normal router, then I'd recommend the Linksys BEFSR41. I use one, as do many other people here, & they're v good.

If you want a wireless router, then Caspar is the person to ask.

I would recommend the mother of all wireless routers the LINKSYS WIRELESS-G BROADBAND ROUTER &4 PORT SWITCH (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508) (you could find the Wireless-B (802.11b) cheaper version (the one I have) which would do the job just as well for Wireless XBOX gaming.

It really depends what you want...cause you could just buy the Wireless-G Game Adapter (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=558) instead ;)

Check out this useful XBOX Wireless Gaming (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342) ;) :D

Any problems your welcome to ask away :D

Zouk
31-08-2003, 00:06
I think I'll just get a normal router, the wireless one looks too much hastle to me. I have the wire coming from my modem downstairs, up into my room and then into my xbox. So all i have to do is by that router, put the wire that goes into my xbox, into the router. I'll then need a wire going from the router, into the xbox, and another into my laptop. Will the router supply these cables??

Caspar
31-08-2003, 09:20
I think I'll just get a normal router, the wireless one looks too much hastle to me. I have the wire coming from my modem downstairs, up into my room and then into my xbox. So all i have to do is by that router, put the wire that goes into my xbox, into the router. I'll then need a wire going from the router, into the xbox, and another into my laptop. Will the router supply these cables??

Thanks for the pic :confused:

The router will not supply all these measures of cable. It maybe provide a 1/3 meter cable (mind did)...but I heard somewhere that they've stopped doing that cause no-one uses them! (like me!)

You just need to measure up and pop into PCworld and buy PATCH cables.

Wireless
Wireless connection is dead easy mate, honestly...we've had a lots of people on here asking about it, being anxious about setup...we finally convincing them...then them installing it hassle free :D

You are not alone! It sounds like you need to overcome these wires, plus the lenght of wire you need sounds expensive... If you have any problems then that's what we're here for.

No doubt Wireless is more expensive at the mo (Wireless Router + a Wireless Bridge) over a normal wire connection (Router and 20+ meters of cable)...but it's so much easier in the long run!

Disclaimer: I have no shares in any router hardware manufacturer!!! :p

slysy
31-08-2003, 10:15
If you need network cables I find ebay is the best place

Zouk
01-09-2003, 10:40
ok cheers. Ok, i'll get the wireless one. Can you give me the router and bridge you'd recommend please.

Caspar
01-09-2003, 11:21
ok cheers. Ok, i'll get the wireless one. Can you give me the router and bridge you'd recommend please.

No problem, check out this XBOX Wireless Gaming (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342) thread ;)

Boom
03-09-2003, 11:50
I just fitted a wireless router a month ago and two WET points on my home network.

Runs great. There's only a small amount of extra work to setup a wirelss router instead of a regular one. I can definitely recommend it. :D

Zouk
21-09-2003, 18:57
Sorry it's taken a while to reply, i've been waiting for my next pay cheque. Anyway, i've looked at the threads you've kindly left, but it seems like they all refer to someone who just wants to connect their xbox live with their pc. The thing is, ive done that. Basically i need to connect my laptop to the internet. So i need a router that has an ethernet input (because that's the way my xbox is connected and that's how i'm gonna be getting online with my laptop, eventually...)
Once i get the right router, i then need 2 wires or whatever, coming out of it. One for my xbox and one for my pc.
I hope that made sense. Now what do i do??

Tezcatlipoca
21-09-2003, 23:31
Erm, I don't think the links given have said anything about connecting the XBox to the PC, Caspar gave you links for using a wireless setup. :confused:

If you want to go "wireless", then have another look here at Caspar's wireless XBox thread: http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1342

If you simply want a normal "wired" router, then I'd recommend a Linksys BEFSR41. You can buy them from Amazon.co.uk & other places for under £50. I have one, & they're great.

The cable modem plugs into the WAN port on the BEFSR41 router, using the cat5 cable you normally use to connect the modem to the PC or XBox (if you used to use a direct connection for the XBox). The XBox & the laptop both connect to the router's LAN ports, using cat5 patch cables (straight through cables). The router is set to use DHCP & obtain an IP automatically from NTL (default setting). The router's DHCP server is enabled to give an IP to the XBox & laptop (default setting). The laptop & XBox both have their network settings set to obtain IP automatically (again, default settings). V easy, as you hardly have to change anything. The router even comes with a set-up CD that does almost everything for you.

zoombini
22-09-2003, 08:36
The linksys takes 3 minutes to install (2of them taken in turning the STB etc off & on again/rebooting the pc).

It does not come with cables, but they can be obtained at little cost from http://www.ARDelectronics.com

Dooby
22-09-2003, 10:36
hey, anyone notice that the network setup on the xbox now has a 'wireless' setup section?

Zouk
24-09-2003, 10:22
right ive decided to get the wired one.only £40.99 now, can't argue with that. So i'll have to buy some more cables for it though from pc world or something. I'll keep you updated, thanks for the help! :wavey: