PDA

View Full Version : Changing from NTL to BT in an apartment block

Tiktokofoz
20-01-2005, 14:37
Hello. I'm new here and would value some advice. My issue is similar to confused_j below. I live in a "new" apartment block (1997) and we have always had an NTL phone line. I used to have NTL cable TV but changed to a Sky dish last year.

I've been in touch with BT who tell me that any existing sockets and wiring I have will not be used as they are NTL property and I'll have to have new ones installed. I have a blank white plate in the living room and bedroom from which a wire has been run to a phone socket screwed on another wall of my choice. There is no socket on the plate itself - you need to unscrew the plate to connect the wire. The Sky digibox is connected to the dish via this plate in the living room as that connects with the communal rise cabling on the landing. The wire used is the same one that connected the NTL cable box originally.

Does anyone happen to know if I will have to have a whole load of new plates and sockets, or might it just be a case of using existing wires and sockets in the flat which will all be connected to the communal rise through the plates?

orangebird
20-01-2005, 14:42
Hello. I'm new here and would value some advice. My issue is similar to confused_j below. I live in a "new" apartment block (1997) and we have always had an NTL phone line. I used to have NTL cable TV but changed to a Sky dish last year.

I've been in touch with BT who tell me that any existing sockets and wiring I have will not be used as they are NTL property and I'll have to have new ones installed. I have a blank white plate in the living room and bedroom from which a wire has been run to a phone socket screwed on another wall of my choice. There is no socket on the plate itself - you need to unscrew the plate to connect the wire. The Sky digibox is connected to the dish via this plate in the living room as that connects with the communal rise cabling on the landing. The wire used is the same one that connected the NTL cable box originally.

Does anyone happen to know if I will have to have a whole load of new plates and sockets, or might it just be a case of using existing wires and sockets in the flat which will all be connected to the communal rise through the plates?

how did you get sky without getting a phone line?

Neil
20-01-2005, 14:45

Oh no...here we go again....:erm: :angel:

ian@huth
20-01-2005, 15:18

Probably managed it because he has a phone line. :D :D and we have always had an NTL phone line

orangebird
20-01-2005, 15:20
Probably managed it because he has a phone line. :D :D

:dunce: I thought it had to be a bt line...

Neil
20-01-2005, 16:03

:LOL: How many times have we had the conversation about ntl forcing an ntl phone line on you with their DTV, & Sky only (partly) insisting that you have a phone line!? :LOL:

Tiktokofoz
20-01-2005, 16:25
Erm... I have a phone line. It's NTL cable. That has nothing to do with the Sky Digital except that you need a live phone point for the interactive services. The point I was making is that my Sky dish is connected to the digibox through the plate in the wall which connects to the riser unit on the landing, as do the phone sockets seemingly.

Chris
20-01-2005, 16:30
My understanding is that BT cannot interfere with the NTL master socket in your flat. This socket is the property of NTL and it is illegal to do anything to it. BT will have to install a new BT master socket in the flat, if there is not one installed already. However, depending on how your extension sockets have been connected to the NTL master, it may be possible to wire them up to the new BT socket instead, so you will not necessarily have to have a load of new extension sockets around the flat.

I have no idea how BT will run their cable from the street to your flat. Presumably they will be able to get access to the dry riser, but I would have thought some arrangement will have to be made with the management company that runs the building if this is the case.

BT has an obligation to put a line in to your flat if you ask them, and if it is practical, but do bear in mind that if they have to start running cables from the street to your flat, they can and will charge you for the installation. You have to ask if it really is worth your while to change...

zovat
20-01-2005, 16:30

I can catagorically confirm that an NTL line is acceptable for a Sky Contract (I have NTL Phone/BB and Sky TV).

(just to stop any arguments ;) ) :D

Chris
20-01-2005, 16:31
:welcome: to Cable Forum by the way!

orangebird
20-01-2005, 16:51
My understanding is that BT cannot interfere with the NTL master socket in your flat. This socket is the property of NTL and it is illegal to do anything to it. BT will have to install a new BT master socket in the flat, if there is not one installed already. However, depending on how your extension sockets have been connected to the NTL master, it may be possible to wire them up to the new BT socket instead, so you will not necessarily have to have a load of new extension sockets around the flat.

I have no idea how BT will run their cable from the street to your flat. Presumably they will be able to get access to the dry riser, but I would have thought some arrangement will have to be made with the management company that runs the building if this is the case.

BT has an obligation to put a line in to your flat if you ask them, and if it is practical, but do bear in mind that if they have to start running cables from the street to your flat, they can and will charge you for the installation. You have to ask if it really is worth your while to change...

You are correct - master sockets are property of the installing company and not allowed to be tampered with or connected to by anyone else. :)

scrotnig
20-01-2005, 17:46
The facts:

Sky will often try to suggest that you need a BT phone line but if you ask them outright they will admit that ANY landline will do, including BT ones that are CPS'd to third party resellers.

To have a free Sky digibox you need to have A LANDLINE TELEPHONE LINE, but it doesn't matter who supplies it.

:LOL: How many times have we had the conversation about ntl forcing an ntl phone line on you with their DTV, & Sky only (partly) insisting that you have a phone line!? :LOL:
Sky 100% insist you have a phone to get a free digibox. They don't insist on a particular supplier, however, they are well known for suggesting to people that it won't work with ntl or Telewest lines when it will.

ian@huth
20-01-2005, 18:00
Never been asked who supplied my phone service for any Sky install I have had and that's been a few around the country with BT, NTL and Telewest phone lines. They are more bothered about getting your custom than who supplies the phone.

Neil
20-01-2005, 18:19
Sky 100% insist you have a phone to get a free digibox. They don't insist on a particular supplier, however, they are well known for suggesting to people that it won't work with ntl or Telewest lines when it will.

Really!?

Well I never knew that.....;) :angel:

scrotnig
20-01-2005, 19:00
Really!?

Well I never knew that.....;) :angel:
Don;t thank me, that's what I'm here for!

Never been asked who supplied my phone service for any Sky install I have had and that's been a few around the country with BT, NTL and Telewest phone lines. They are more bothered about getting your custom than who supplies the phone.
Some individuals do do this, I know from my old job within ntl.

I do know it's not their official policy though.

Tiktokofoz
21-01-2005, 11:33

Hi, and thanks. Yes, I'm confused about the whole master socket thing. I unscrewed the plate where the phone wires and Sky wire is attached and they are both just wired to another chunky wire which disappears into the wall, naturally leading to the dry riser. I have a hunch... merely a hunch... that any phone reconnections would go via the riser, but I might have to check with my management company.

The reason I need to change is that NTL have categorically said that broadband is not available in my area and there is no presumed or firm date for if and when it will be. And, simply, I need broadband now.

dannyboi2003
17-06-2005, 13:59
Hi Guys,

Bit late to post a reply I know but I just wanted to give some more info on what sort of phone line you need for Sky. I work for a travel agent and we have a Sky digibox in each of our contact centres and head office as we advertise on Sky text etc. when the Sky Digital was installed in each centre some years ago we simply supplied an extension off our telephone and the engineer programmed the box to dial a "9" if it ever dialled out. So just to clarify yes any line will do be it NTL/BT or via a phone system. Only gripe I have against the Sky is we have to pay a business rate subscription, which is very high each month.

All the best
Dan

SMHarman
17-06-2005, 14:26
Sky will work with an NTL line connected to the digibox.