PDA

View Full Version : who will support the forth comming postal strike?

mrmassive
29-08-2003, 23:50
I work for Royal Mail. The government last year gave 1.8 Billion and the Company says they loose about 750,000 quid a day which I dont belive. So whats happend to the money ????

Graham
29-08-2003, 23:54
I run a business that relies (hah! They lost at least dozen of my parcels last year) on the Post Office doing its job to get my goods to my customers.

If the Postal Workers want to shoot themselves in the foot by striking over this issue, this can only hasten the introduction of other services who will compete for my business and offer me favourable rates to come to them instead.

It will save me money and give me a more reliable way of getting products to my customers.

Yep, go ahead and strike!

dozysplot
29-08-2003, 23:59
Originally posted by mrmassive
I work for Royal Mail. The government last year gave 1.8 Billion and the Company says they loose about 750,000 quid a day which I dont belive. So whats happend to the money ????

As a postal worker, do you think there should be a strike???

As a strike will only make matters worse for the company you work for i don't think strike action is a good idea. It might get you a short term result but if you lose your job a year down the line because of the affect of the strike it hardly makes much sense

Defiant
30-08-2003, 00:06
Let them go on strike. It opens the doors for other companie's ie competition. If they were any good they wouldn't need extra money from the goverment. Why the heck should we have to pay twice!!!

TigaSefi
30-08-2003, 00:34
I hope not. I got all my dvd's and Gamecube lined up to be delivered pronto.... i'll be majorly ****ed off

mrmassive
30-08-2003, 01:55
(Post #4)
Let them go on strike. It opens the doors for other companie's ie competition. If they were any good they wouldn't need extra money from the goverment. Why the heck should we have to pay twice!!!

when the goverment had control of Royal Mail, the company was profit makeing. But now makeing a loss? This doesnt make sense. Like I have stated before 1.8 Billion where has the money gone ? Or should I say whos pocket is it in.

Recently all Royal Mail Managers were paid 1300quid to tell the workforce not to strike. This did only aggravate the situation. I know a lad at work who suffered from meningitis he was off work and nearly died. When he came back to work he got taken to an office with a manager and he was put on a stage 2 . This means that if you have more days off work in the next six months bye bye bye. Its not just the money its how we are all treated and badgered by the management and if i loose my job theres more places to work than Royal Mail. If by the chance this strike brings down the company so be it, cos i dont know of any postman/postwomen who could afford to live of this wage just alone cos i cant . rent a house/flat near london cost 600quid a month and have wages of about 250 comming in a week then pay the bills and then starve to death or should I say then get a part time job in the afternoon selling this weeks big issue lol

timewarrior2001
30-08-2003, 11:10
****ing of the members of the public (your customners) isnt a good way to win favour. Cripple the postage system with a strike and people will use other means. Where will that leave you? out of work, with a reputation for striking, doesnt look good to many employers does it?

I'm sorry, my attitude here is the same as the one with BA. Anyone striking should be dismissed with immediate effect. Theres plenty of people out there that would be thankfull for a job with the royal mail.

Chris
30-08-2003, 11:36
The 1970s finished well over 20 years ago. It stuns me that in this day and age there are any dinosaurs left that think going on strike actually solves anything. And I'm continually amazed that union baron yobs like Mick Rix (ASLEF), Andy Gilchrist (FBU) and of course Billy Hayes (CWU) seem convinced they know more about the way their respective industries should be run than the people who are actually paid to do the job. They know nothing about anything, that is except protecting vested interests.

If you want to improve your wage, you'll achieve nothing by striking - for a start you'll lose pay you can't afford to lose. If I were you I'd go and get another job.

ntluser
31-08-2003, 14:04
The Post Office like many industries is suffering from the plague of de-regulation.

I remember when our local buses were de-regulated with the result that there were too many buses chasing too few passengers. As a consequence many bus companies went under and the consumer ended up being worse off.

The railways were de-regulated and look at the shambles they are now.

The Post Office could have been made to operate efficiently if the government did not spend so much time undermining it.

Competition does drive down prices but sometimes to the point where companies go out of business to the disservice of the consumer.

Government and industry need to work together in a co-operative and organised way but sadly de-regulation creates conflicts and strikes.

Bring back some common sense and co-ordinate the many postal organizations into a National Postal service we can be proud of.

Shaun
31-08-2003, 16:08
Originally posted by ntluser
Competition does drive down prices but sometimes to the point where companies go out of business

In the natural world it's called evolution (natural selection). Not that I think a strike will make the government open up the postal service to competition, its not their style, they just like to have a stick to beat Royal Mail with, and boy do they need beating.:rolleyes:

To the postal workers defence I haven't so far lost one letter or parcel over the last year and I send about one a day!! :D

th'engineer
31-08-2003, 18:09
It looks like the only people who will benefit are TNT and DHL, not royal mail or the strikers