PDA

View Full Version : Router Problem - No Internet

Bytecon
15-01-2005, 00:32
Hi,

I'm new to these forums and was wondering if someone could help me.. ?

I got NTL broadband installed a while ago and I also have an Actiontec Wireless Cable/DSL Router. I am having a few problems with the internet, my setup is as follows:

Cable Modem >> Ethernet >> Router >> Wireless >> PC

Whatever I try, I cannot get internet on the computer. I have changed many things on the router and I have set the MAC address of the cable modem on the router, this appeared to get me connected as on the status page, it shows the following:

IP - 10.191.64.xxx
Subnet Mask - 255.255.246.0
Gateway - 10.191.71.254

DNS #1 - 194.168.8.100
DNS #1 - 194.168.4.100

Some of these setting looked strange to me .. including the subnet mask and the IP address doesn't look like a common NTL one.

Basically, I'm pretty sure the network is all working ok, it all reads as ok and I can get to the router config etc... But I still don't get it, whatever I try I can't get internet, I would appreciate if someone would help me resolve this issue..

Thanks,
Michael

Chris W
15-01-2005, 00:44
:welcome:

can you ping ip addresses and domain names? can you traceroute to something outside your local network?

Do you have any wireless security or mac filtering set up?

Bytecon
15-01-2005, 00:47
:welcome:

can you ping ip addresses and domain names? can you traceroute to something outside your local network?

Do you have any wireless security or mac filtering set up?

I haven't tried pinging other ip addresses, but I did try msn messenger, which didnt work but I know that would usually work if theres a DNS problem.

About the security - no, the network is just open at the moment. What would mac filtering do? I did change the WAN MAC address to the one of my modem, if that's what you mean?

Chris W
15-01-2005, 00:50
You shouldn't have changed the mac of the router to that of the modem- reset that back to it's default.

To ping, open a command prompt (start -> run -> cmd ) then type
ping www.bbc.co.uk and see if you get replies
then type ping 212.58.224.121 and see if you get replies there.

If you don't get replies from either, type
tracert www.bbc.co.uk -h 5
and post the results back here.

EDIT: mac address filtering is a security setting which will allow/deny listed mac addresses access to your network. Oh, and once you get your network running, setup some security!!!! - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

Bytecon
15-01-2005, 01:26
I don't think it's the MAC of the router? It specifically asks for the WAN MAC, if I leave it at the default it shows the WAN connection as disconnected .. any ideas ?

ian@huth
15-01-2005, 01:47
The router should definately NOT have the MAC adress of the cable modem cloned into it. It should either be left at default as Monkeybreath said or have the MAC address of a connected system network card cloned in.

As it is getting late and I am going to bed, if you are still about have a read of Robin Walkers guide at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/
If that doesn't help you then someone will be about later or in the morning

Raistlin
15-01-2005, 08:56
You need to remove the MAC cloning from the router.

Does your internet connection work if you bypass the computer? Try connecting the PC directly to the CM. You may need to follow the steps I've given below for rebooting everything (obviously ignore the bit about the router at this stage). The order that you do this is very important!

Looking at your original post, it would appear that the CM is connected via ethernet to a PC which is then connected to a router. Please tell me that isn't so. It should be connected as follows:

CM >>>>> ROUTER >>>>> (All Computers)

Most routers have a specific port for connecting to the modem as well.

If your connection works when you connect PC directly to CM then try the following after reconnecting as I have specified above:

1. Power everything off
2. Power the CM on and leave until the lights settle
3. Power the router back on and leave until the lights settle
4. Power the PC on and leave until the HDD activity drops to a minimum, now log in and test the connection.

If this doesn't work then we will need to explore other avenues.

Do you have a firewall running on the machine? What OS are you using?

Raistlin
15-01-2005, 09:00
Forgot to mention that it's probably best to try all of this with the PC hard-wired into the router if you can. That helps to avoid any confusion if the wireless thing starts to play up!!

Once your internet os working getting the wireless connetion going again should be a doddle.

Raistlin
15-01-2005, 09:03
Hi,

I'm new to these forums

Sorry, I missed that the first time 'round, what was I thinking :D

Morning Bytecon,

:welcome: to CF!

Kick off your shoes, sit back, relax, and enjoy your stay :D

Bytecon
15-01-2005, 13:33
You need to remove the MAC cloning from the router.

Does your internet connection work if you bypass the computer? Try connecting the PC directly to the CM. You may need to follow the steps I've given below for rebooting everything (obviously ignore the bit about the router at this stage). The order that you do this is very important!

Looking at your original post, it would appear that the CM is connected via ethernet to a PC which is then connected to a router. Please tell me that isn't so. It should be connected as follows:

CM >>>>> ROUTER >>>>> (All Computers)

Most routers have a specific port for connecting to the modem as well.

If your connection works when you connect PC directly to CM then try the following after reconnecting as I have specified above:

1. Power everything off
2. Power the CM on and leave until the lights settle
3. Power the router back on and leave until the lights settle
4. Power the PC on and leave until the HDD activity drops to a minimum, now log in and test the connection.

If this doesn't work then we will need to explore other avenues.

Do you have a firewall running on the machine? What OS are you using?

Thanks for all the help, I ended up phoning my router's tech support and they got it sorted out.

Robtor
16-01-2005, 19:09
How did they get it sorted out? Just for us who have similar problems.

Raistlin
16-01-2005, 19:20
Yeah, I'd be interested to know as well.

Bytecon
16-01-2005, 19:46
Basically, they went through all the basic steps ... most of which you had mentioned before (resetting etc ..)

It turned out, the MAC address of the computer needed to be set in the router which I believe someone mentioned above but I didn't have time to try it.

Thanks,
Michael

Raistlin
16-01-2005, 19:59
It turned out, the MAC address of the computer needed to be set in the router

How odd.....