PDA

View Full Version : modem failed

tallymanjohn
12-01-2005, 16:01
Hi, on Monday my home100 modem failed - it wouldn't 'lock on' according to the tech line. A technician is due to visit, but not until next Tuesday! so just a couple of questions for future reference. (1) Is it a case of just plugging in a new modem & away I go? (2) What's the difference between the 100/200 etc. models? (3) I was quoted 'about £250' to buy a modem (thought they might courier it to speed things up), so if I obtained another make of cable modem, to keep & use as a temporary stop-gap if this happens again, would it still work?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Chris W
12-01-2005, 16:03
:welcome:

you can only use a cable modem that is supplied by ntl on their network so there would be no point in buying your own.

The problem may be the modem or the quality of signal coming to your property- the engineer will investigate this and resolve the problems for you when he/she visits on tuesday :)

MB

tallymanjohn
12-01-2005, 17:54
So even if I got another home100 modem I would not be able to use it? Surely if it's the same make/model of modem I can just swap it out. (We've agreed it's a hardware fault by the pattern of lights re-occuring) - I'm just rather annoyed that I've lost access for a week & I want to be prepared if it happens again. They have agreed to refund a week's instalment but couldn't even set me up a freephone dial-up access for the interim - I've had to set up a PAYG Tiscali account for this.:mad:

Stu038
12-01-2005, 18:09
Without going into the boring detail if ntl don't give you the modem it wont be recognised by the network so any you buy from modem manufacturers (usually in the states) won't work.

If you decide to buy one from ebay, a carboot sale or similar then its probably been nicked so you then take the normal risks associated with handling stolen goods etc. and ntl are a lot more switched on about locating stolen property than many folks think.

tallymanjohn
12-01-2005, 19:10
OK, many thanks for replies - shall see what engineer finds/suggests.

vdubug
13-01-2005, 09:11
I was told I have the same problem where the Modem would not 'Lock On'. After some investigation I found out I was in an over subscribed area and there was not enough power going to the modem, and it in fact was not the modem it's self. What are your symptoms, does the ready light continuously flash, and doesn't return to static?

tallymanjohn
13-01-2005, 10:33
The symptoms are a recurring order of lights - starts off with the ENET light coming on then the D/S light flashing for about 90 seconds before going out then the Sync & Rdy lights come on for 20 seconds then all of the lights flash across 3 times before going through the whole process again ............ & again .............& again ................... Still doing it after 3 days so I don't think it's a temporary thing.
Thanks for reply.

Stu038
13-01-2005, 12:35
Whereabouts in Leicestershire are you Tallymanjohn?

If you pm me your MAC address I may be able to have a look for you. If your suspect of giving out any details to a complete stranger (and rightly so) please pm one of the Mods.

tallymanjohn
15-01-2005, 12:22
NTL turned up early & swapped out modem/PSU all ok. Just as a note, the engineer did say that it would be a waste of time getting a spare modem as they need to be activated by assigning their MAC address (took about 10 minutes for him to do it). The one I'd borrowed was ok because it was still recognised by NTL (friend was on holiday so borrowed it while away). If I'd got one off EBay it would not have worked and would, essentially, be stolen as NTL have never sold these modems (allegedly) - just a point for anyone with the same idea.

Chris W
15-01-2005, 12:28
NTL turned up early & swapped out modem/PSU all ok. Just as a note, the engineer did say that it would be a waste of time getting a spare modem as they need to be activated by assigning their MAC address (took about 10 minutes for him to do it). The one I'd borrowed was ok because it was still recognised by NTL (friend was on holiday so borrowed it while away). If I'd got one off EBay it would not have worked and would, essentially, be stolen as NTL have never sold these modems (allegedly) - just a point for anyone with the same idea.

see post #4 ;)

ian@huth
15-01-2005, 12:57
Not all NTL modems sold on ebay and at car boot sales are stolen. When broadband was first released by NTL you had to buy the modem so it was yours to sell if you so wished.

tallymanjohn
15-01-2005, 13:22
Thought it was a bit unlikely - just the engineer's translation of NTL policy I suppose, but I don't really fancy taking the risk with EBay - there were a couple of brand new, unused ones on there earlier in the week............

Chris W
15-01-2005, 14:03
even if you get a modem from ebay that was sold legally, it still cannot be added to your account... so won't work anway ;)

ian@huth
15-01-2005, 14:21
even if you get a modem from ebay that was sold legally, it still cannot be added to your account... so won't work anway ;)

Why not?

Say an original broadband subscriber who had to buy his own modem cancelled after 12 months. Today he finds the modem tucked away in a corner and decides to try to recoup some of the money he paid for the modem. Is it right that NTL can effectively make the modem unsaleable by not allowing it to be used on the network? Remember it is a modem that had previously been used on the network and approved for use on it.

Chris W
15-01-2005, 14:45
Why not?

Say an original broadband subscriber who had to buy his own modem cancelled after 12 months. Today he finds the modem tucked away in a corner and decides to try to recoup some of the money he paid for the modem. Is it right that NTL can effectively make the modem unsaleable by not allowing it to be used on the network? Remember it is a modem that had previously been used on the network and approved for use on it.

If someone cancels their services any previous contract is cancelled. If a customer then wishes to sign up with ntl again they will be offered the same contract as a new customer- a rental modem free of charge.

It is to register an old modem, it may or may not work. (not going to get into too much depth here).

NTL have not made the modem unsaleable- plenty of them are sold on ebay to unsuspecting people who think they can use them on ntl's network ;)

ian@huth
15-01-2005, 15:54
If someone cancels their services any previous contract is cancelled. If a customer then wishes to sign up with ntl again they will be offered the same contract as a new customer- a rental modem free of charge.

It is to register an old modem, it may or may not work. (not going to get into too much depth here).

NTL have not made the modem unsaleable- plenty of them are sold on ebay to unsuspecting people who think they can use them on ntl's network ;)

I fully understand that all broadband customers are supplied with a free rental modem. A point that the OP made was that having a second modem in reserve so that internet access could be maintained if the rental modem became defective and couldn't be replaced for several days would be helpful to him.

I have seen posts on here where NTL staff have advised a customer having a problem with their broadband connection to replace the modem with an old modem they had from a previous address. Why is this any different?

I don't like the ethics of saying that NTL have not made the modem unsaleable when you say it can not be used again on the network.

tallymanjohn
15-01-2005, 16:40
I gather from the engineer that the whole point of it is that NTL basically rent the modem to users so they aren't the users' property to sell in the first place, hence if the modem is attached to the network and it has not got a recognised MAC address, or is one which doesn't match up to the registered user then the connection will simply not be activated.

ian@huth
15-01-2005, 16:43
I gather from the engineer that the whole point of it is that NTL basically rent the modem to users so they aren't the users' property to sell in the first place, hence if the modem is attached to the network and it has not got a recognised MAC address, or is one which doesn't match up to the registered user then the connection will simply not be activated.

That is the case now, but when broadband was first introduced by NTL you had to buy the cable modem. There was no cable modem rental service.