PDA

View Full Version : Question - Sort of related to NTL.

D M
10-01-2005, 13:20
Hey people, this isn't really based much around NTL Broadband but more about my current dilemma. I have been with BT Broadband only since Dec 2004 but already I hate their service. For one, they charge you loads of extra money if you use up your 1gb-a month quota :rolleyes: And they sent us a bill charging in advance. It's a long bill up to March... Plus I bet they will throw in extra charges since I am almost over my 1gb a month limit for January. Is it possible to just cancel with them and avoid paying the charge in advance..? I am desperate to get with NTL but my dad won't leave BT and still pay the charge.

Any ideas?

paulyoung666
10-01-2005, 13:23
how about not going over your monthly limit then ;) , if your dad wont change then you are stuck :erm:

SMHarman
10-01-2005, 13:37
Or switching to a less restricted monthly package. BT must do a higher cap package, you need to tell dad this will be cheaper monthly than paying the excess fees.

Neil
10-01-2005, 13:38
*Moved to Other ISPs Discussion forum*

D M
10-01-2005, 13:43
Or switching to a less restricted monthly package. BT must do a higher cap package, you need to tell dad this will be cheaper monthly than paying the excess fees.

Hmmm I want to leave BT Broadband full-stop. And don't anyone mention dial-up... lol :sleep:
I know that if we didn't have this advance bill he would join NTL Broadband, but do you have to pay this advance bill even though it isn't even Feburary let alone March?

Chris
10-01-2005, 13:53
Hmmm I want to leave BT Broadband full-stop. And don't anyone mention dial-up... lol :sleep:
I know that if we didn't have this advance bill he would join NTL Broadband, but do you have to pay this advance bill even though it isn't even Feburary let alone March?

It's quite common to get billed in advance. NTL do the same, but they bill monthly. BT can bill monthly, but telephone bills are traditionally issued quarterly and you get yours that way because your dad has never seen fit to change it. I have just signed up with BT for my phone and requested monthly billing, but the line rental charges on the bill are still advance.

Graham F
10-01-2005, 16:20
To be fair you pay in advance for everything, think about it....

You pay before you get on a train for the journey, you pay before you drink a pint in a pub ;)

There aren't many things you can pay for after using :shrug: so i could never really understand people being upset about it :)

D M
10-01-2005, 21:54
I type this post with a face of pure wrath and angst..
Bt Broadband are pathetic. We've tried phoning their hotline 1000 times and they pass you from somebody to somebody else and then they say you're in the wrong department and pass you to the original person you were with... My dad finally got through and my dad said how poor he felt their service was and that he was going to leave them via telephone and internet but the lairy bloke on the end said we couldn't because we've signed a 1 year contract with them for Broadband. But that's silly... I mean say you were someone who went bankrupt, had no money and couldn't afford to pay their daft bills..

My fault really for choosing them..

D M
10-01-2005, 23:08
You pay before you get on a train for the journey, you pay before you drink a pint in a pub ;)

But when you get the bus you don't pay for the tickets you might want to use in the future. We shouldn't have to pay for something we don't want to/haven't used. And I think I discovered that you have to pay up your 12month contract if you want to cancel your account... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :td:

Neil
10-01-2005, 23:53
Why are you posting in such small text though?

paulyoung666
11-01-2005, 00:10
I type this post with a face of pure wrath and angst..
Bt Broadband are pathetic. We've tried phoning their hotline 1000 times and they pass you from somebody to somebody else and then they say you're in the wrong department and pass you to the original person you were with... My dad finally got through and my dad said how poor he felt their service was and that he was going to leave them via telephone and internet but the lairy bloke on the end said we couldn't because we've signed a 1 year contract with them for Broadband. But that's silly... I mean say you were someone who went bankrupt, had no money and couldn't afford to pay their daft bills..

My fault really for choosing them..

i hope you dont find this funny ......... , but if you dont mind telling us , how old are you ???????????

D M
11-01-2005, 14:16
i hope you dont find this funny ......... , but if you dont mind telling us , how old are you ???????????

18 years old. Why?

Well I am going to have to find a job, raise enough to pay off the rest of BT's contract and then cancel.

Neil
11-01-2005, 14:30
Why are you posting in such small text though?

Graham F
11-01-2005, 14:56
:erm: why not Neil?

Is it a bit small for you, you old git :p: ;)

Stuart
11-01-2005, 15:32
But when you get the bus you don't pay for the tickets you might want to use in the future. We shouldn't have to pay for something we don't want to/haven't used. And I think I discovered that you have to pay up your 12month contract if you want to cancel your account... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :td:

True, however it is in BT's terms and conditions, and they are within their rights.

Not sure how they can justify it though, at least NTL (or anyone who lends you equipment) can argue they have to pay for the equipment. Similarly with contract mobile phones, when you take out the contract, you are paying the subsidy for your mobile phone (even if you got it for "free" with the contract, the phone company will still have paid several hundred pounds for it).

BTW, please use larger text. It doesn't bother me too much, but there are possibly partially sighted users on this forum.

D M
11-01-2005, 22:16
Haha. I just wanted to be different ;) Stand out from the crowd and all that. By the way, I had an idea, couldn't I ask NTL to pay what we owe Bt Broadband to cancel the contract and then devote all our payments to NTL instead? That way BT get paid and NTL get their money back.

paulyoung666
11-01-2005, 22:18
Haha. I just wanted to be different ;) Stand out from the crowd and all that. By the way, I had an idea, couldn't I ask NTL to pay what we owe Bt Broadband to cancel the contract and then devote all our payments to NTL instead? That way BT get paid and NTL get their money back.

nice try , aint going to happen though :disturbd: :disturbd:

D M
11-01-2005, 22:57
But surely NTL would be happy enough providing they got their money back?

Stuart
12-01-2005, 00:43
But surely NTL would be happy enough providing they got their money back?

If you didn't get broadband from NTL, what would be the point in NTL paying off your contract. If you do, they would have to charge you extra to cover their extra costs..

Either way, I doubt it will happen.

SMHarman
12-01-2005, 01:26
What part of what you owe BT. The balance of the 12 months minimum payments, well who wins there?
The prepayment for over usage, well you get that back when you cancel and don't go over your bandwidth limit.

D M
12-01-2005, 18:48
I know I'm clutching at straws... but I am just desperate to ditch BT Broadband and go with NTL Broadband. But we simply cannot afford to pay up our BT Broadband contract and pay monthly for the NTL service :(