PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for router

charikaar
10-01-2005, 09:00
Can anyone please recommend a decent router.I've 3 computers and want to enable ICS on them using a single IP. These computers are placed in different rooms.

A friend told me router is what i need for my ntl 300k cable modem but i am not sure what extra components I'll need in addition to router i.e cables etc(straight or x-ver).

I think ebay would be a good place to grab a bargin if you recommend a decent brand.

Thank you for help in advance.

Charikaar

Electrolyte01
10-01-2005, 09:12
If your looking for a bargin router I would recommend the following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52897

I have one of them, and so far i'm very impressed with the price. It's very small, but is packed with features.

zovat
10-01-2005, 09:13
Can anyone please recommend a decent router.I've 3 computers and want to enable ICS on them using a single IP. These computers are placed in different rooms.

A friend told me router is what i need for my ntl 300k cable modem but i am not sure what extra components I'll need in addition to router i.e cables etc(straight or x-ver).

I think ebay would be a good place to grab a bargin if you recommend a decent brand.

Thank you for help in advance.

Charikaar

If you get a router - then you will not need to use ICS, as the router sits between your CM/STB and your computers ;)

Brand wise, I would recommend Linksys or Netgear - although if money is an object, Belkin are pretty reasonable and normally very cheap.

you will need to run a straight through Cat 5 cable from each PC to the router, and another from the router to the CM/STB.

each machine will need a network card (you can pick them up for about £10 each these days).

If money is no object - then maybe look at a wireless setup - that way you don't have cables running from room to room. (WiFi PCI cards can be got as cheaply as £20, and the router will be a little more expensive).

HTH

charikaar
10-01-2005, 09:25
Thanks very much both of you. your advice really helped.

Charikaar

gary_580
10-01-2005, 09:28
Dont buy a Linksys one. I was recommended the Linksys Wireless router and bought one. It has never worked wirelessly properly. I persistently get diconnects from the wireless PC to the router. Linksys tech support is a waste of time too.

If you scan the net a little bit you will find that its a well known problem.

charikaar
10-01-2005, 14:57
Zovat wrote
"you will need to run a straight through Cat 5 cable from each PC to the router, and another from the router to the CM/STB"

is there any difference between cat 5 and cat 5e because i can't find long enough cat 5 cable in my area.

Thank You

Charikaar

zovat
10-01-2005, 15:00
Zovat wrote
"you will need to run a straight through Cat 5 cable from each PC to the router, and another from the router to the CM/STB"

is there any difference between cat 5 and cat 5e because i can't find long enough cat 5 cable in my area.

Thank You

Charikaar

cat5e will be fine - you only need cat5c, but cat5e will work fine..

Stuart
10-01-2005, 15:04
Zovat wrote

Thank You

Charikaar

Not for the purposes of NTL connection. Basically Cat 5e cable is needed if you want to use a gigabit (1000Mb/s) network. Your NTL connection is currently 1.5Mb (at most) and even if you have a home network, you are not likely to need more than 100 Mb/s

Having said that for a 100Mb/s or below network, you can use the two cables interchangably.

Raistlin
10-01-2005, 15:40
Dont buy a Linksys one. I was recommended the Linksys Wireless router and bought one. It has never worked wirelessly properly. I persistently get diconnects from the wireless PC to the router. Linksys tech support is a waste of time too.

If you scan the net a little bit you will find that its a well known problem.

I had the same problem with mine, in the end I changed the channel that the router was transmitting on to one that was as far from the default channel as possible.....Problem Solved :D

Aragorn
10-01-2005, 17:33
I had the same problem with mine, in the end I changed the channel that the router was transmitting on to one that was as far from the default channel as possible.....Problem Solved :D
Interference from a digisender or microwave maybe? Never had any probs with my Linksys (touch wood!).