PDA

View Full Version : Usage/Cap/Bandwidth question

D M
09-01-2005, 14:20
Hello people! I bet a lot of you are quite peeved about answering this kind of questions but I apologize. It's just at the moment I have BT Broadband and they have thoroughly dissapointed me. They say I've been using the Internet too much and I am almost over my limit (1gb) in half a-week, although I have hardly been online. Plus they try to charge you all kinds of extra fees as you go over the montly usage limit. First I came acrosss '1stISP' (www.1stisp.co.uk (http://www.1stisp.co.uk)) But they seem too good to be true and are not answering my query e-mails. So I decided maybe I would try and go with NTL Broadband, the '300K Broadband package at £17.99 a month) But I just wondered, what are the usage/bandwidth/cap restrictions for that particular package?

Thanks for your time, :tu:

D M

Tricky
09-01-2005, 14:27
Checkout : http://www.home.ntl.com/page/userpolicy&source=ntlworld
End of section 2

EDIT : PS. Welcome to the site....There are a few threads about the cap on this site

D M
09-01-2005, 14:30
Hello, thank you for that. I explored the NTL site but couldn't find that particular page so much
appreciated! :) So it's a 1gb limit daily? That's pretty good since BT charge you that for a month! I will wait for my father to get home and then tell him to ditch BT and go with NTL!

D M

Tricky
09-01-2005, 14:31
Hello, thank you for that. I explored the NTL site but couldn't find that particular page so much
appreciated! :) So it's a 1gb limit daily? That's pretty good since BT charge you that for a month! I will wait for my father to get home and then tell him to ditch BT and go with NTL!

D M

Yeah 1gb per day (for now) checkout:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22380

My comment "The grass is not always greener"

Tezcatlipoca
09-01-2005, 14:36

D M

Also...

ntl will be increasing the speeds again, this year -

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/112/update-ntl-confirms-more-broadband-speed-changes

e.g. The 300k service will become a 1Mb service, for the same price - but with a 5GB per month cap.

Existing customers will be able to stay on the 300k/750k/1.5Mb services if they want to, rather than pay the £25 upgrade, & so presumably they would also be able to keep the old-style 1GB per day "usage allowance".

There are many threads here about the current "cap", & about the upcoming speed (& cap) changes.

D M
09-01-2005, 16:46
Ok thanks for the info. So it is safe to say 100% certain when with the 300k Broadband package
there is a 1gb (per day) limit yes? I just find it a little hard to believe since Bt Broadband allow 1gb a month! :erm:

Mick
09-01-2005, 17:02
It has been said that ntl do not strictly enforce the current 1GB daily cap limit. If you sign up for the 300K package now, new customers are charged £8.99 per month for 3 months - after this time the price will revert to £17.99 per month.

D M
09-01-2005, 17:07
Thanks for that extra bit of info, I already seen it on the NTL site but thanks anyway ;) I shall have to tell my dad about that since he loves the cheapest option available. Do you know how much I would be allowed to do with a 1gb cap limit? The most I'm ever online is say 7 hours tops, and I mostly just download a few pics and songs here and there.

Mick
09-01-2005, 17:22
That's not very much usage so I would say, going off that - that you have little to be concerned about regarding the 1GB daily limit. Like I said ntl do not strictly enforce the cap, they have allowed customers to download over the limit and I doubt they would bat an eyelid if you downloaded over 2GB in one day, so long as you don't continuously persist in the habbit of downloading over the limit every day. :)

D M
09-01-2005, 17:25
Thanks a lot for your info, Mick! It is appreciated! :tu:

jtwn
09-01-2005, 17:29
I dont mean to cause offense or anything but, you do live in an ntl cabled area?

Matth
09-01-2005, 17:32
There seems to be some talk of 300k being £15.99 a month, maybe when the new tariffs come in, maybe for new customers only, blablabla.

Possibly that may have the old "advisory" 1Gb/day cap (exceed 3 times in a fortnight, and they MAY be having words with you), or with the new 5Gb/month limit (you could THEORETICALLY hit 1Gb in a day, even with 300k), but you'd have to be trying pretty hard.

1Gb at 300k is about 8 hours solid full rate traffic, not just idling around web pages etc.

I'm leaning toward staying with 300k/1Gb per day if that's an option, instead of having to watch my traffic in return for a faster speed - going up a tariff is not an option I'd consider, leaving NTL is!

D M
09-01-2005, 19:47
I dont mean to cause offense or anything but, you do live in an ntl cabled area?

Do you mean is NTL available to me? If so, I went on their website and entered my address/postal details and they say I am.

luv-snail
09-01-2005, 22:53
Does anyone know if this affects upload rates or if there will be an upload cap? The reason I ask is that I download very little but I upload like a proverbial racehorse. :p:

Paul
09-01-2005, 23:04
Does anyone know if this affects upload rates or if there will be an upload cap? The reason I ask is that I download very little but I upload like a proverbial racehorse. :p:It's upload & download combined. Since upload speeds are much slower, it would be very hard to exceed the limits mainly on upload.

luv-snail
09-01-2005, 23:10
It's upload & download combined.

Ah.. that would be the catch then. I thought 40 GB/month of downloading seemed a little too generous to be true. :angel:

Do you know if the upload rates are going to change? I'm finding 256 kbps very restrictive. :erm:

Mick
10-01-2005, 10:40
Last time I asked ntl they said they were 'thinking' of keeping them the same. I am going to close this thread as we have another cap thread open at the moment. Link below. :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=373728#post373728