PDA

View Full Version : Quick question - cable connection to the set top box...

danj1974
09-01-2005, 14:35
Hi folks,
This is very simple question so I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to set me straight without the need for a lengthy call to ntl's customer services. Basically I'm decorating my living room and I want to relocate my stb to the other side of the room. However, the current cable which links the tv/fm isolator (small white box mounted on the interior wall) to the stb just isn't long enough (and I want to hide it behind new skirting boards).
So my rather simple question is - what sort of cable is this and can I just replace it myself? (i.e. should I unplug the stb first etc...) I guess the main reason I'm asking is because they have an unusal screw-type fitting and I'm a bit wary of fiddling with things I shouldn't be.

Hope you can help,

Dan

seaneeboy
09-01-2005, 14:50
Hiya,
Welcome to cableforum!

Err - I'd save yourself the bother and pay the £50 to get an installer* out to do it. Although it is possible there are a lot of problems that can crop up... and if you have any problems after it and someone has to come out to fix it you will be charged the £50 anyway...

*I've been told off by an engineer friend of mine not to call them engineers :D

danj1974
09-01-2005, 16:05
Dam. That was what I was afraid of. It's a bit galling to pay for someone to come out just to fit a cable which is an extra 0.5m long, but it doesn't sound like it's that simple. I guess other options would be to house the stb in the same location and have extensions to the other connections (SCART etc - I've certainly got enough ethernet cable). Hmmm....

Cheers for your reply though, very helpful.

Dan

paulyoung666
09-01-2005, 16:14
hi and :welcome: to the site , it is against the t&c's of your contract to fiddle with the cable , cause any problems and ntl may well have a :fit: , safer to work around it or pay up ;) , btw , hope you enjoy your stay here :tu: