PDA

View Full Version : Missing Images

AlanYork
07-01-2005, 20:45
I've discovered that my pc appears to be "not seeing" pictures sometimes. Just recently I had a problem with images appearing as blank boxes with a little red X inside. That appears to be resolved now. But........

Now, where some pictures should be, there is just whatever colour background the site has. Two examples...I get the New Scientist Newsletter and where some of the pictures are supposed to be, theres just a blank space, no little red cross, just a blank area. MSN.co.uk have a space on their homepage where they have an advert, a whopping great big one. Not on my pc, its a whopping great empty space.

I've been connecting using a proxy server but removing that doesnt seem to make a difference. I've done a virus check and scanned for trojans and it says I'm clean. I'm baffled as it's just occasional sites that it happens on and sites seem to open speedily enough.

If it helps to explain it any, my friend did email me a webpage today and the curse of the empty box with the red cross reoccured but that may have been because she emailed me the page I guess.

It may be a red herring but all this seems to have started when MSN upgraded my mail box to 250mb. I couldnt get into my mail box because of error 404. A long protracted debate followed as MSN and NTL blamed each other. NTL gave me a proxy server, that was no help as everytime I moved mail around my hotmail account I got kicked out back to the e mail log on screen. Then followed a second round of MSN and NTL saying it wasnt their fault, it was the other mobs' and I'm just the poor sap thats paying for it!!!

At last I put on a non NTL proxy and that seemed to have solved it, until that started playing up, took it off and hey presto NTL seem to be ok now (you keeping up with this?) But....after 2 weeks NTL start playing up again, sites dont open, lots of empty boxes with the little red cross etc. Right, OK I put on a second non NTL proxy and that seems to work ok, apart from this "missing image" problem.

Now I realise all that may be of no relevance whatsoever and I admit its quite hard to follow, but I could really use advice here and I wanted to make you aware of the recent history. Any help would be appreciated.

iadom
07-01-2005, 20:51
When I get this it is mainly due to my firewall blocking them, are you using a firewall ?

Edit, just checked out msn.co.uk and lots of images on there get blocked by my firewall, you have to allow stuff from a couple of other third party sites to view everything.

AlanYork
07-01-2005, 20:54
Yes Zone Alarm Security Suite. My girlfriend uses the same, no problem with her pc, she does live in Houston though! (So will I from September, hooray!!!)

iadom
07-01-2005, 21:00
Yes Zone Alarm Security Suite. My girlfriend uses the same, no problem with her pc, she does live in Houston though! (So will I from September, hooray!!!)That will be the cause, if you really want to view the images, enable the small pop up from Zone Alarm that displays in the bottom corner of your screen. Go to Privacy then select "Custom" on the Cookies option, make sure there is a tick in the box at the bottom to "Show privacy advisor", when it appears click on the hyperlink and it will open Zone Alarm and highlight the site that is being blocked. You will have to experiment with what you allow by clicking the options button, bottom left.
On the msn site one site is called passportimages, but there are at least 2 others maybe more you need to allow to see all the content.

Your girlfriend may have ZA configured differently to you.

AlanYork
08-01-2005, 09:14
Aha! Yes I should say that altering ZA has kind of 75% fixed the problem, I unblocked the ads and in truth they dont really irritate me that much.

I still seem to get rather a lot of empty boxes with red Xs though, certainly more than if I play with the pc I use at work. Is there anything else I could be looking at now that I have ZA amended? Dont get me wrong, its better than it was but I still get the impression something isnt set up quite right. GIF images seem to be the main bugbear.

iadom
08-01-2005, 20:04
If you have enabled Privacy advisor in Zone Alarm and it pops up anytime you visit a web site then it means that it is blocking something, if it doesn't appear but you are still missing images it could be the security settings in your browser, if you are using IE SP2 that has several changes from SP1 that affect browsing.

AlanYork
08-01-2005, 20:51
Ah, I didn't realise that either, what changes in the settings should I make and how do I go about doing it? Thanks for the help too I should say, it certainly is nowhere near as big of a problem as it was.

TheBlueRaja
08-01-2005, 21:08
Dump ZoneAlarm and get an alternative firewall, personally i believe that program to be the work of Satan himself as im constantly seeing people having issues with it.

You may find that you will be better off - besides you can always go back to it.

iadom
08-01-2005, 21:12
Zone Alarm does not give me any problems, you just have to take the time and effort to customise it to your requirements.

You may find some further help here (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=199497)

TheBlueRaja
08-01-2005, 21:32
Zone Alarm does not give me any problems, you just have to take the time and effort to customise it to your requirements.

You may find some further help here (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=199497)

Agreed, but that's the problem, the average Joe dosent have a clue what he's doing and shouldn't have to - the program should be scaring the hell out of him or blocking things un-necesseraly.

AlanYork
09-01-2005, 07:23
Thanks for the link, I clicked on it but the talk seemed to be of Windows 98 and as a newbie, I was just baffled by all the different directions it went in. Folder Options / File types must have moved as it sure aint where the forum posters said it would be!!! I did find something called Folder Options but there was nothing there about advanced settings or registered file types. It must have moved under XP. I can only assume GIF is registered as most GIFs are fine, it's just a minority. I just cant find the right place to look.

Jeez I'm sorry to be such a novice when it comes to pcs, please try not to chuckle at my lack of knowledge.
I've enclosed a link so you can see what I'm getting at. Hopefully as an example it will help.
http://members.aol.com/hywwebsite/private/joanofarc_portraits.html

My problem is that as a newbie......
1. I don't know if it's normal to have a few sites here and there that have the dreaded red X and its all part and parcel of surfing the web.

2. If it isn't normal and theres a problem, what I need to know, in plain English is what to look at, how to get to it and what to click on. I'm 39 years old and whilst I'm not stupid, I'm from a generation that didn't grow up with pc's and all the tech stuff might as well be in French to me!

3. As an aside, I do seem to be constantly "firefighting" with my pc at present. First MSN hotmail caused me problems, then it was websites, both of which I fixed using a proxy server, now it's this. It's rapidly becoming no fun and more like hard work. Has anyone else had this experience? The only plus is that I emigrate to the US later this year and as I wont have this pc, it can do what the hell it likes lol!

Thanks in anticipation for any help, it's truly appreciated.
Alan

JohnHorb
09-01-2005, 08:28
That site is littered with red x's for me as well, so it might be a problem with the site rather than your PC.

Raistlin
09-01-2005, 09:00
Yep, I get a whole load of red X's too.

Maybe it's not a problem local to you?

iadom
09-01-2005, 10:58
Same for me as well, looks like the site is not being updated or maintained properly.

you could send an e-mail to the webmaster at mailto:aw@joan-of-arc.org (aw@joan-of-arc.org) telling him of your problem, you could also mention that the correct (english) spelling is armour :rolleyes: :)

poolking
09-01-2005, 11:09
The reason why those pictures aren't showing up is because the website they are from no longer exists, the site just goes to a search page.