PDA

View Full Version : Loss of service Refund policy

setch
05-01-2005, 21:35
Does anybody know what the official NTL policy is for claiming a refund when you have been without service for over 7 days?

My broadband has been so bad since before xmas that it is really not worth trying to use it. There was a broadcast message on the cable support line stating that they were aware of a problem causing loss of service in the CM18 area and working to correct it.

I called Customer Service to request a refund for the days that I had been without the service, I was told that because NTL were aware of the problem they did not offer refunds, no matter how long the outage.

A couple of years back, I lost my broadband for two weeks, I was told then that because I had not made them aware of it, I was not eligible for a refund.

Do the NTL management give Customer service's a license to say whatever comes into their heads if it will save money.

Setch

rockin_plumber
05-01-2005, 21:48
Mr Broadband was unusable for about two or three months :mad:

Connection kept coming and going so was basically unusable.
This was about a year ago and seems all fine since.

No refund came my way but they did put 2 months credit on my account :D
..............This was after a LOT of complaining and threats etc etc :mad:

So I got my 2 months back, but not in the form of a refund :tu:

IanGuy
05-01-2005, 21:53
My experience with refunds, creditting etc with NTL has been very poor. I have had numerous problems with DTV and Broadband and I am only just happy with the service after being with them nearly a year. They refused to credit my account and said it was not their policy to do so.

Threats to move to Sky and BT also made no difference, their reply was "Good Luck To You" and they hung up. So just because some people got credited, doesn't mean you will, but there's really no harm in trying.

Chris W
06-01-2005, 00:28
hmm i have a feeling (but i am not sure) that you are credited if you request it after a problem has been resolved- lets say you have been off for a week, this may last say a month. If you phoned them every week about it and they refund you that is 4x 1 week, if they do it all at the end when they know the problem is resolved that is 1 x 1 month... far easier for all involved :)

kissmygaseye
06-01-2005, 05:02
Does anybody know what the official NTL policy is for claiming a refund when you have been without service for over 7 days?

My broadband has been so bad since before xmas that it is really not worth trying to use it. There was a broadcast message on the cable support line stating that they were aware of a problem causing loss of service in the CM18 area and working to correct it.

I called Customer Service to request a refund for the days that I had been without the service, I was told that because NTL were aware of the problem they did not offer refunds, no matter how long the outage.

A couple of years back, I lost my broadband for two weeks, I was told then that because I had not made them aware of it, I was not eligible for a refund.

Do the NTL management give Customer service's a license to say whatever comes into their heads if it will save money.

Setch

Still no service though. I did see a little man in his van at the end of the road on monday (3rd). much scratching of head and off he toddled. hohum.....

andyl
06-01-2005, 10:01
My advice is to complain to your regional MD (see knowledgebase for contacts). I've been credited a few times because of poor quality broadband service but had to kick up a proper stink to secure. Failing that, call Trading Standards.

Mauldor
06-01-2005, 10:49
May I add that my Phone line (BT) went off, BT called ME on my mobile and told me the matter is been looked into (which I thought was brilliant) and then automatically got money put back onto my bill for the duration of the fault.

I dont think the same applies though to Broadband on the whole as its not a guaranateed service, though One month of NO Service at all I feel should be compensated to be honest...

setch
06-01-2005, 11:14
I may well email somebody at the top. I sent an email to Stephen Carter a couple of years back and got an immediate resolution to my problem.

I was one of the users that purchased their own modem and was shafted when I upgraded to 1Mb. Stephen Carter allowed me to continue with my £5 discount. But they are now charging me £5 pm again for the modem which they forced me to buy for £155.

Life is too short to keep on trying to get NTL to behave like a multi million pound company rather than a like a back street market trader.

I have often wondered what NTL meant, I now believe it to be "Nasty Thieving Lot".

Setch

ian@huth
06-01-2005, 12:10
I may well email somebody at the top. I sent an email to Stephen Carter a couple of years back and got an immediate resolution to my problem.

I was one of the users that purchased their own modem and was shafted when I upgraded to 1Mb. Stephen Carter allowed me to continue with my £5 discount. But they are now charging me £5 pm again for the modem which they forced me to buy for £155.

Life is too short to keep on trying to get NTL to behave like a multi million pound company rather than a like a back street market trader.

I have often wondered what NTL meant, I now believe it to be "Nasty Thieving Lot".

Setch

Don't forget that since you bought your modem the cost of buying modems in bulk such as NTL do has fallen quite significantly. That means that the present day rental value would be far less than the £5 discount you were originally given. A £5 discount gives you back the £155 you paid in 31 months and I am sure you have had it much longer than that.

bob_builder
06-01-2005, 13:04
Don't forget that since you bought your modem the cost of buying modems in bulk such as NTL do has fallen quite significantly. That means that the present day rental value would be far less than the £5 discount you were originally given. A £5 discount gives you back the £155 you paid in 31 months and I am sure you have had it much longer than that.
It is also worth remembering that if your modem died while you were receiving the £5 per month discount you would have to buy a new one. But now, you would get a new rental one free of charge, just like anybody else who rents theirs.

Rone
06-01-2005, 18:20
Still seems as tho certain firms like to have their cake and eat it.
And you have to buy the cake as well. :(
I had terrible problems a while back, solved by a decent chap on here, i must have had 3-4 weeks of intermittent service, but never thought about a refund, i had heard there was no such thing.

kissmygaseye
10-01-2005, 16:49
Setch are you still without service? Missus just rang NTL and they said everything was fine now. Still haven't got any service but NTL are in denial. They said that someone would have to call but they would only speak to me because the bill is in my name.

paulyoung666
10-01-2005, 17:50
Setch are you still without service? Missus just rang NTL and they said everything was fine now. Still haven't got any service but NTL are in denial. They said that someone would have to call but they would only speak to me because the bill is in my name.

hi and :welcome: to the site , you can if you wish allow ntl to speak to your wife if you tell them :) , enjoy your stay :tu: