PDA

View Full Version : Network Printer help.

Paulie
05-01-2005, 11:29
Hi guys
Can anyone help me on this problem i have?
I`m trying to get my printer networked so my daughter can print out her stuff.

I`m running xp (sp2) and she has win98se.

We have a wireless network for internet, and the printer is usb wired to my pc.

I`ve set up shared printing but for some reason i cannot get her pc to print out.

All the drivers and software have been installed on her pc, so i am obviously missing something.

Anyone got any ideas on the matter?

altis
05-01-2005, 11:45
Are you sure her PC knows where the printer is and isn't just assuming it's on LPT1?

Start / Settings / Printers / Right Click on Printer / Properties / Details / Print to the following port...

Shaun
05-01-2005, 13:56
If you're running XP you can load the printers and fax page and then click "add printer" then select "Network" and "Brows for printer". It should show you all the computers on the network and their attached printers.

HTH

Edit - thats if you haven't already "installed" the printer on her Computer, if you have and its still not printing then what Altis said :tu:

Paulie
05-01-2005, 16:30
Are you sure her PC knows where the printer is and isn't just assuming it's on LPT1?

Start / Settings / Printers / Right Click on Printer / Properties / Details / Print to the following port...
I think that`s the trouble. But being that it`s on usb, i`m lost as to where to point her pc so to speak.

Shaun
05-01-2005, 16:34
Mine shows as this, don't know if that helps at all. :)

Paul K
05-01-2005, 16:47
When I networked the printer at home it was through the add printer dialogue, I told it that it was a network printer and the wizard found it automatically. One thing though, make sure you have already set the printer as shared on the pc it is connected to otherwise it won't be seen.

Stu038
05-01-2005, 17:11
You say you've set up "shared printing" how did you do it?
I found that despite setting up file and print shareing manually for XP pro and W2K machines without any problems, the only way I could get a 98fe machine to see a shared printer hanging off a XP machine was to run the XP home networking wizard on it.

altis
05-01-2005, 17:21
Go again to Start / Settings / Printers / Right Click on Printer / Properties / Details

If the 'Print to the following port' box doesn't show something like '\\ComputerName\Printername' then click on the 'Add Port' button. Make sure the 'Network' option is selected and then click 'Browse'. You should be able to see the other computer and, if you click on the plus, the printer that is connected to it. Highlight this and then click 'OK' and 'OK' again. The 'Print to the following port' box should now show something like '\\ComputerName\PrinterName'. Click 'OK' to save it and it should be done.

Paulie
06-01-2005, 10:40
Thanks guys i`ll give it a go.
Sorry i couldn`t reply yesterday, i had all sorts of problems logging on here.

Paulie
06-01-2005, 12:47
When I networked the printer at home it was through the add printer dialogue, I told it that it was a network printer and the wizard found it automatically. One thing though, make sure you have already set the printer as shared on the pc it is connected to otherwise it won't be seen.
Just tried this approach, but all i get come up is "unable to browse the network" any ideas as to why?

Paul K
06-01-2005, 13:13
Can you actually see and access the second pc on the network from the windows xp pc and visa versa?

Paulie
06-01-2005, 13:58
Can you actually see and access the second pc on the network from the windows xp pc and visa versa?
When i click on network connections in the control panel, all i can see is the lan connection. Not hte other pc.

altis
06-01-2005, 14:19
When i click on network connections in the control panel, all i can see is the lan connection. Not hte other pc.
That sounds like you are looking from the XP machine. For the purposes of getting your printer going this information is irrelevant.

I suggest you look for the XP machine from the 98 one. The easiest way to do this is to go to the 98 machine and click:
start / find / computer
then enter the name of the XP machine and click 'find now'.

If it can find it then double click on the name and you should see the printer. If you can find the computer but not the printer then you haven't enabled it for sharing on the XP machine. If you can't see the XP computer then you have a networking problem which could be any number of things but we'll take that as it comes!

Paul K
06-01-2005, 14:19
Do you see nothing in network places? It sounds as though you aren't networked even though you have run the wizard :erm:

Paulie
06-01-2005, 16:15
Do you see nothing in network places? It sounds as though you aren't networked even though you have run the wizard :erm:
yep, seems like i`ve only got internet sharing set up :rolleyes: