PDA

View Full Version : Help!

hello2whoever
03-01-2005, 21:39
Right first post of many i hope! Right i decided to go online with my PS2. I thought it was going to be easy but how wrong was i :Yikes: . I'm not the best at computers but know a fare bit. Right let me explain how i planned to set it up. My 1mb bb porvided by telewest comes through my cable TV box and then to a netgear wireless access point which then sends it upstairs to my netgear reciever which is linked to my computer (a Dell 4600, 2.8ghz 512mb ram 200gb pentium 4 etc etc). then after that i planned to send the internet through a built in ethernet port on my motherboard to my network adapter on my PS2. But no joy there as it didnt pass the first test. I then tried it downstairs plugged directly into the setup box via the supplied cable and it seemed to work better than upstairs but still wouldnt get past the first test. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Smeghead
03-01-2005, 21:57
are you using the ics method of sharing the connection with the ps2?
what windows do you have?
are you using a crossover cable or hub to link the ps2 to the ps2 a normal cat5 cable will not work.

hello2whoever
04-01-2005, 13:22
I was planning on doing that, but i decided just to link the ps2 directly to the etherent port on my cable box which i use for bb using the cable provided with the adpater. Have xp home and want to later on usin the ics method but may require a network card as i fear that the one built into the motherboard wll not work because i think its just designed to be plugged into a network. not create one.

STONEISLAND
04-01-2005, 13:28
Right first post of many i hope! Right i decided to go online with my PS2. I thought it was going to be easy but how wrong was i :Yikes: . I'm not the best at computers but know a fare bit. Right let me explain how i planned to set it up. My 1mb bb porvided by telewest comes through my cable TV box and then to a netgear wireless access point which then sends it upstairs to my netgear reciever which is linked to my computer (a Dell 4600, 2.8ghz 512mb ram 200gb pentium 4 etc etc). then after that i planned to send the internet through a built in ethernet port on my motherboard to my network adapter on my PS2. But no joy there as it didnt pass the first test. I then tried it downstairs plugged directly into the setup box via the supplied cable and it seemed to work better than upstairs but still wouldnt get past the first test. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
Bad advice I know..............:erm:

get an Xbox great for online games. With no problems. easy:D

hello2whoever
05-01-2005, 15:26
ok ok, sucess i have got it wrking on the cable box downstairs simply had to restart the box, and have registered and should get moy code thing through the post soon! but what would be more ideal is having it in my room which is in cable reach of the ps2!
so wot i was thinking was of running a straight through network cable, but my good freind informed me that i need a cross over one! i found a diagram and i think i may be able to edit the straight cable to trun it into a crossover, im just going to cut into it and swap the wires over. if it dnt wrk it dnt really matter as the tech department at my dads wrk has loads more they can give me! is this possible, anyone tried it?? also i could get a network card but i already have a ethernet socket on my motherboard. will that wrk, does anyone else use this method or is this one just for input eg modem??? all help apreiated, if u have or know of the dell dimension 4600 ur no wot thing im talking about. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advace!!! SImon

hello2whoever
05-01-2005, 19:47
ok finally done! simply cut into the wire and swtiched the colours round according to the many diagrams on the web, turn on ics and then hey presto ps2 is online!
The real way i wanted it!, and it only took about 4 hours in totel spread over 3 evenings.didnt get much advise from here but thanks smeghead for acquiring to help me, u online dudes are cool!. and skun4u, u can keep ur xbox online, swear u have to pay for that aswell. the only thing i like is halo using 2 xboxs, 2 tvs and 8 ppl with controllers and doing a LAN game, i must admit that amazingly cool. its slowly turning into a computer! might invest in a usb kb, does any usb one wrk becuase i may be able to get my hands on one. also wots this about a hd in the US, wot it do, replace the mem card? is it possible to get web pages and msn messenger or something on the ps2?? also because im linked to the pc how to i send files each way, anyone done it, know about it? help me! thanks once again. SIMON!!