PDA

View Full Version : three questions

stamp92
28-08-2003, 08:35
one-

is it possible to plug my ntl cable modem into someone else's ntl connection and surf the net from there house? the reason i ask is i sometimes goto my sisters for the weekend and she has ntl cable tv service. id like to just unplug the cable from set top box and plug it into my ntl cable modem etc. would this work and is it ok with ntl?

two-

id like to rewire my ntl cables in the house. is it possible to buy the catv cable ntl use and the same connectors or compatible connectors and do the job myself? im referring to the cabling that runs from white box on wall to my cable modem. if i got an engineer in to install cable tv is there a chance i could ask him to do it 4 me or leave me the cable. do engineers sometimes do this on the side for a bit of cash?

three-

if i get ntl cable tv service is it possible to link the digital set top box to a second tv or do i have to get their second box service. i have sky at the moment and i can connect the box to my tv downstairs and i use a magic eye which means i can change channel downstairs. is their a similar system with ntls boxes in terms of operating the box remotely through some sort of magic eye?

thanks

Richard M
28-08-2003, 08:47
1) No, you would need to register the MAC address with NTL.
2) You could try doing it yourself but if you break anything then you have to pay NTL to fix it, they might be able to do it for you if you ask them on the phone.
3) No idea.

The Diplomat
28-08-2003, 09:07
1 ) See Roger's post

2 ) Installing guys round here have always been partial to coffee and a "crisp note or 2" ;)

3 ) I have additional TV sets linked to my stb using the RF output/TV socket on the back of the box. :)

bob_builder
28-08-2003, 10:00
3. You can connect the STB to other TVs in the same way as you would connect the Sky box to transfer the TV signals. For the remote control, this may or may not work via magic-eye depending on the STB you have got although you can buy converters to convert the signal for you if your STB is not standard IR. (Search the forums for "IRDA", "IR", etc.)