PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Broadband Connection

denial
03-01-2005, 10:45
I have had an intermittent, problem with my Broadband connection for over 3 weeks now. The connection seems to drop periodically (ranging from once a day to eight or nine times) and will sometimes come back itself other times it requires a STB reboot.

First Technician †“ said it was a dead box, and I got a nice new Samsung one.

This seemed to help but it continued dropping, so a second tech came out and said the †˜The Signal is too strongââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢.

This made it worst so a couple of days later the third tech comes along says he doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t have a clue what it could be, but redoes all the cabling.

However this also didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t work, so phone tech support this morning who says †˜ummmm could be a problem in your area, let me have a look, oh yes there is a problem in your postcode areaââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ when questioned he didnââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t know what it was, when it was reported or when it would be resolved and it is not on the website because it does not affect over a thousand customers (to say itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s quite a large postcode area, I doubt that very much).

So basically my problem is I have got a broadband connection that keeps periodically dropping, and about 10 calls to tech support and 3 tech visits later nobody seems to have a clue what the problem is.

paulyoung666
03-01-2005, 10:54
when you say drop , do you mean completely stops working , do you have dtv as well ?????? , if you do , is that working ok ?????? , when it stops working what happens with the lights on the front of the box ?????? :)

denial
03-01-2005, 10:58
when you say drop , do you mean completely stops working , do you have dtv as well ?????? , if you do , is that working ok ?????? , when it stops working what happens with the lights on the front of the box ?????? :)

Hi

Yes the connection totally stops working, DTV is OK, Interactive also drops (not that it really worked before anyway ;) ). Lights on the front totally go out, when the connection does come back 'by iteslf' it will flash and then go steady.

:)

rdhw
03-01-2005, 13:15
Yes the connection totally stops working, DTV is OK, Interactive also drops (not that it really worked before anyway ;) ). Lights on the front totally go out, when the connection does come back 'by iteslf' it will flash and then go steady.From your description, this is clearly an NTL cable signal quality issue, and there is nothing that you can do to fix anything. This is down to NTL to fix. You might have more luck reporting it as a failure of Interactive TV (and saying the lights go out), because this will focus their minds on the nature of the problem, and avoid them going up blind alleys trying to eliminate problems with your PC.

badnbusy
03-01-2005, 17:06
If all else fails, request that they install a cable modem for your broadband rather than using the STB. This may help (as long as the signal is sorted)

denial
03-01-2005, 17:08
If all else fails, request that they install a cable modem for your broadband rather than using the STB. This may help (as long as the signal is sorted)

Many thanks for the ideas :) , I think its definitely a signal problem and did mention this to the last tech who was here for about an hour, he said that there doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t seem to be a signal problem and such problem would be a characteristic of being far away from the street cabinet - which is not a problem as it beside our house.

I guess it is a case of getting another tech out. What seems funny to me is that the service has been fine for the 6 years i have had it and then all of a sudden we get this problem :mad: