PDA

View Full Version : Reassign Keyboard Hot Keys

bras0782
27-08-2003, 21:30
Does anyone know how to reassign the hot keys that most keyboards now come with? I don't want to change any of the standard keys, just those shortcut keys that open IE, or the calculator, etc.

I have a cheap keyboard but WinXP still recognises it without the drivers and assigns the hot keys as they were meant to be. However, I want to change them from their defaults - any ideas?

Thanks for any help

zoombini
28-08-2003, 08:15
Why?

MadGamer
28-08-2003, 08:23
I have no idea, but try reinstalling the drivers for the keyboard

MikeyB
28-08-2003, 09:21
Originally posted by zoombini
Why?

Because he wants too!!!

My keyboard has lots of extra hot keys, but I have to have the included keyboard software & drivers installed for most of them to work, and it also allows me to reassign nearly all of them to anything I want.

Tricky
28-08-2003, 16:58
Microsoft ones can be reassigned, I have both a M$ one and a HP and I've yet to find a way to reassign my HP ones, just going to install the M$ drivers for the hell of it to see what happens! (Turns rollback mode on!)

Tricky
28-08-2003, 17:34
OK - M$ drivers installed against a HP keyboard (Install them as Intellitype Internet keyboard) and I could edit my keys. Needed some where standard such as the "Search key" but others seemed to generate there own key codes such as the "HP" key generated 32781 when watching this through REGMON (www.sysinternals.com). Therefore in order for me to amend all my keys I would need to get the key codes for each key and then edit the registry accordingly to generate the required effect. PS I'm running XP.

MikeyB
28-08-2003, 21:40
Surely there must be some HP keyboard drivers? I wouldn't have expected it to work correctly with MS keyboard drivers.

Mine is a Logitch and I am using Logitech drivers for it, and has options to change what each extra hotkey can do.

Lord Nikon
28-08-2003, 23:29
try www.driverguide.com (username is drivers / password is all )

bras0782
29-08-2003, 13:14
Thanks for the responses guys.

The Keyboard is a Qtronix Scopius KI (very cheap, but nice). I have the drivers for it but they only allow you to change 2 of the hot keys (there are around 15 in total). But I haven't installed the drivers and WinXP has recognised all the keys by itself (default drivers I assume). I was wondering how I could change those key assigments.

I have used TweakXP (WinXP Power Toys) which actually lets you change a lot of the buttons, but I haven't been successful with the changes - they haven't worked so far. I'll try a little more later as I rushed it last time.

The keyboard has a media button which opens Windows Media Player and then four other buttons for Play, Forward, etc. I want these reasigned to work with WinAmp. But even TweakXP doesn't reccognise the Play, Forward, etc, buttons - only the media key itself.

I hope I have been a little clearer now - any ideas? Surely there are some drivers somewhere (winXP default) or registry keys which define the key assignment.

Thanks

bluedrop
18-03-2008, 23:27
No matter what keyboard you have, there's a program that can reassign any key you need. Keyboard Remapper (http://www.easytousetools.com/keyboard_remapper/) has helped me redefine some hot keys that actually annoyed me.
Hope it helps you too! ;)