PDA

View Full Version : Installation

dagger1
29-12-2004, 22:07
Hi

I just thought i'd make you aware of what has been happening around our area regarding installation of Telewest Broadband on PC's.

I know of a few people (including myself) who at the end of the installation the engineer pionts to the Modem and disc and tells you it will only take 10 mins to install, then leaves,
I couldn't believe it, it's a good job i know what i'm doing with a PC, or i'd be stuffed.

Has anyone else been treated like this???
:mad:

Stephen
29-12-2004, 22:23
NTL installers will do the same thing. After they wire up the modem they leave you to install the actual software on to your PC yourself.

dagger1
29-12-2004, 22:28
But it's not right though, it even states in the contract that they will install it for you and give a quick demo.

marfleet
30-12-2004, 02:43
thay only do that if you pay for it

dagger1
30-12-2004, 08:34
No,

a friend of mine had his done, and he's on the same contract as me.

penpole
01-01-2005, 18:38
Different people say different things in my area. I think it can depend upon which engineer does the installation and their individual workload on the day. Also how assertive you are at the time of the installation makes a difference.

The majority of people I ask would agree that they often don't make a good job of the cabling, often going around every door frame and putting the cable halfway up skirting boards.

I think if you think about what you want to get out of the installation - i.e. you have thought about where you want the cable run to go and whether or not you want them to test the installation (which would always be a good idea) and are assertive enough on the day, the engineer will do what you want them to do.

Raistlin
02-01-2005, 01:31
To be honest, while I am more than happy fot the engineers to install the cable I would rather that they didn't touch my PC - I prefer to do these things myself!!

ian@huth
02-01-2005, 10:53
To be honest, while I am more than happy fot the engineers to install the cable I would rather that they didn't touch my PC - I prefer to do these things myself!!

I would agree with you on that. The installer that put my broadband connection in said that I had to do the installation myself and told me what to do. As soon as he had gone I completely disregarded his instructions and the warning label telling me not to connect the modem until I had installed the software. I did not want any of thesoftware on the installation CD on my PC.

Stephen
02-01-2005, 13:44
That is partly why they do not install the modem into your pc. just in case your pc is damaged, they/ntl are then not responsible. All that is on the cd is the drivers for the modem and also the registration service.

ian@huth
02-01-2005, 14:18
That is partly why they do not install the modem into your pc. just in case your pc is damaged, they/ntl are then not responsible. All that is on the cd is the drivers for the modem and also the registration service.

There is also all the other cr@p on the CD such as broadband medic, etc.

Stephen
02-01-2005, 15:47
but you can choose not to install any of it.

cableguy69
18-01-2005, 14:57
ntl will charge ya £15 to have your pc configured on the day of installation if u try 2 do it yaself an carnt then 2 hav a tech come back it will cost u £30 FACT ive just stopped workin 4 ntl. Telewest on the other hand offer this service free to all customers FACT i am currently working for telewest. But i dont c y everybody gets so p*ssed off with this as no other isp's send out a tech 2 sort ya pc they give u a disk. so y does everybody think its a big deal 2 put in a disk an let it auto run an as 4 it being difficult PAHH!! u say its a good job u knew about computers (BULL SH*T) the disc will configure ya pc 4 ya if u know what ya doin then u can install manually through ethernet with no need 4 any disc whatsoever

zoombini
18-01-2005, 15:13
oooooohhh, touchy, touchy...

ian@huth
18-01-2005, 16:20
ntl will charge ya £15 to have your pc configured on the day of installation if u try 2 do it yaself an carnt then 2 hav a tech come back it will cost u £30 FACT ive just stopped workin 4 ntl. Telewest on the other hand offer this service free to all customers FACT i am currently working for telewest. But i dont c y everybody gets so p*ssed off with this as no other isp's send out a tech 2 sort ya pc they give u a disk. so y does everybody think its a big deal 2 put in a disk an let it auto run an as 4 it being difficult PAHH!! u say its a good job u knew about computers (BULL SH*T) the disc will configure ya pc 4 ya if u know what ya doin then u can install manually through ethernet with no need 4 any disc whatsoever

whatdoesallthatmeancansomeonetranslateit? :erm:

SMHarman
18-01-2005, 16:23
itswr10ntxtnitFACT

penpole
18-01-2005, 23:37
What if there is a technical problem that, regardless of your competence in IT, you are unable to detect or remedy without calling an engineer? There might be a problem with the cable modem, connection or line that would take ages to get to the bottom of if you aren't an engineer. Surely it would make sence to make sure the broadband connection is working before the engineer leaves? Just a thought.

ian@huth
18-01-2005, 23:55
When I had my broadband installed the installer checked that the connection was workng using his test gear.

atlantic-crossin
22-01-2005, 01:30
Its all well and good that you state you work for Telewest and you used to work for NTL but you shoud not be using that sort of Language, I also work for the company and im shocked to see you quite openly state you work for the company after using the terms you have been, may I remind you when you state you work for Telewest and have worked for NTL you are representing both companies.

I work for Telewest and I can answer the question as to why you have not had the software installed on your PC is for the following reasons...

We used to install customers with Blueyonder Broadband and the software on peoples computers, the only issues that occured from this was that you would find a small percent calling back in stating they have contracted viruses on their PC and it was our Installers that caused this.
This would cause escalated calls and demading Telewest to pay for the cost of a repair bill, some customers quoting as much as £150.

The software that Telewest provides you with only configures your computer on the source of the information (port ID)
Telewest only provide you with Email virus protection (only with Blueyonder email accounts) , POP up blockers, spyware, viruses and hackers are to be protected by 3rd party protection software provided by the customer.

If you are experiancing problems installating the disk you can always call the Technical Support team on 0845 142 4422 at your local rates (From BT line or 3rd party provider) or FREE on 151 from your Telewest Line

The roll out of technicians stopping installing customers with the software was approximatly August 2004

Hopefully this has helped you with your posts

Raistlin
22-01-2005, 01:37
<SNIP lengthy but worthwhile first post>

Hi atlantic-crossing, :welcome: to CF.

Sit back, kick off your shoes, relax, and enjoy your stay:D

Just wanted to say that I agree entirely with the sentiment of your post.
Also wanted to thank you for the clear explanations that you gave and also the inclusion of the telephone numbers etc which will (no doubt) prove very useful.

Look forward to future posts from you :D

Raist.

dannyboi2003
08-02-2005, 10:52
Hi Guys,

In response to penpole's post, when I had my NTL service installed over 4 years ago (NTL Broadband and Phone line) I too didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t want cables running up the front of the house or up and over doorframes. The service was being installed in my bedroom and after thinking about it for a while I decided to ask if the cable could be run under the floorboards. On the day of the installation I removed the necessary floorboards, drilled the holes through the joists and when the guys arrived they had no problem with running the cable as I wanted it. The NTL outside connection point is located just inside our passage door (so its not visible when the door is closed) the phone and coax cable then run up the wall and into the ceiling, and then run under the floorboards to my room where they re-appear behind the TV and terminate at the coax box and telephone point. I wasnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t assertive in any way when I asked them to run the cable this way and I just kept them topped up with coffee and biscuits, they actually finished the job ahead of schedule as I had done most of the prep work anyway and were able to go and have some food before they had to be at their next job. I did the same when I had Sky TV installed, ran the cable from where I wanted the minidish installed and ran it under the floorboards into my room, again when the engineer arrived all he had to do was put up the dish and install the digibox.

All the best

Dan

Thorn
08-02-2005, 10:59
Hmmm, it is true that you need to pay 15.00 for the install (and advise of them of this requirement in advance too). If you're a PC novice then you're going to find yourself rather scuppered. Still, a quick call to those Tech Support bods, or the more cognicent Customer Services Advisors should sort it out with you over the phone, especially if you're using an ethernet connection. If you having a problem, PM and i'll talk you through it, I've done it often enough.