PDA

View Full Version : Disconnection problems..

pudz
29-12-2004, 17:12
I've had my connection for about 3 years with Blueyonder, hardly ever have any problems.

The past 2 weeks however :/

I keep getting disconnected, its not your usual modem disconnection either, this is weird, the modem will show as still being online, I'll be downloading or browsing the net, as ya do, then suddenly, EVERYTHING will freeze which is remotely internet related.. even MSN shows as still online, the computer will stay like this until I either reboot OR goto control panel>connections and disable, then re-enable the connection, the moment its disabled ALL of the frozen programs will wake up, MSN shows offline, Firefox browser windows cant find sites etc, then upon re-enabling its fine. This seems to be more frequent in busy times, evenings etc, but does happen through the day.

I'm using Norton System Works 2005, Spywareblaster, ScanSpyware, Spybot and Zonealarm firewall. all the spywares cleard I can't thinkof anything else to solve this with its really draining me :/ - afaik none of this software is making any abvious sign of causing the cut off's

I'm on 4mb/384kb Cable on Windows XP Pro SP1.

paulyoung666
29-12-2004, 17:21
hi and :welcome: to the site , i might be right wide of the mark here , but what i.p. address do you get when this happens :)

Tristan
29-12-2004, 17:30
When it happens, instead of disabling/re-enabling, open a command window and type "ipconfig /renew" and see what happens.

Are you using a router? If not, what happens if, rather than doing anything to the PC, you reset the modem?

Finally, when this happens, are you still able to access the modem config pages at 192.168.100.1 (or whatever it is).

pudz
30-12-2004, 09:44
cmd wont open until I disable the connection, same with all browser windows so 192.168.100.1 is hopeless too :/ I'm gona try unplugging modem next time it happens. I've also tried disabling norton system works, that didnt do anything. I'm not using a router nope.

quadplay
30-12-2004, 12:25
When the connection freezes, are you able to get into Task Manager by pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del? If so, try that and look at the processes tab to see if anything is using a high amount of CPU time.

Secondly, does Norton System Works include Norton Internet Security? If so, you've got two firewalls running at the same time (NIS and ZoneAlarm), which isn't generally a good idea as they can clash!

pudz
30-12-2004, 14:36
Nah no norton firewall. If I try and get task manager up while its frozen, the window will not display until the connection is disabled, its acting like the web browser windows in freezing, only thing which doesn't seem to, is my hard drives and explorer.exe - I have a firefox icon on my quick launch, clicking that during the 'freeze' will freeze the entire start bar until I disable the connection also.. :/

paulyoung666
30-12-2004, 14:48
how about a restore point before this started happening ?????? :)

pudz
30-12-2004, 15:28
Don't have one, its a clean install

paulyoung666
30-12-2004, 15:44
Don't have one, its a clean install

so the problem started as soon as you reinstalled your machine then ?????? :)

pudz
30-12-2004, 18:02
Nope, I formatted in the first place because of this problem :p

creed74
07-01-2005, 00:29
I had this same problem it was a nice person crashing my router / network!!