PDA

View Full Version : LAN Bandwidth Control?

IanL
28-12-2004, 20:28
Hi from a newbie. I have tried to search before posting, because this problem must be far from unique, but no luck.

I have a four-user LAN here at home, two on ethernet out of a Netgear RP114 router, and two on a Netgear ME102 Wireless Access Point, which is also connected to the router. The router connects via ethernet to an NTL Cable Modem.

My problem is that one user on wireless frequently uses a filesharing utility, which grabs 95% (or more) of the rather limited bandwidth NTL laughingly describes as 300k, and I'd describe as 50k, judging by the download speeds attainable.

The question is: Can anyone can advise whether my hardware has the ability (which I have not been able to discover for myself), to limit this user to a fairer share, or whether there is a relatively inexpensive device I can buy to achieve this. Most grateful for any help.

jtwn
28-12-2004, 20:45
I've been through the same FRUSTRATING scenario before/now :dozey:

If you haven't got any bandwidth control on the router (have a snoop around the router config pages maybe? i cannot find anything about traffic management on it) or can install a limiter on the person's computer, but with knowledge, they could just simply disable it then from past experience, you're out of luck.

From what i read, for some odd reason the feature seems to only be on more expensive models, ones that are not necessarily aimed at small home network.

MadGamer
28-12-2004, 21:48
I've been through the same FRUSTRATING scenario before/now :dozey:

If you haven't got any bandwidth control on the router (have a snoop around the router config pages maybe? i cannot find anything about traffic management on it) or can install a limiter on the person's computer, but with knowledge, they could just simply disable it then from past experience, you're out of luck.

From what i read, for some odd reason the feature seems to only be on more expensive models, ones that are not necessarily aimed at small home network. Surely if there is only 1 Admin and the rest are Standard Users, then only the admin could only disable features?

IanL
28-12-2004, 22:03
Many thanks, brilliant responses :) This board is the bees knees, or rather, it's contributors are ;)

I never thought of a software solution, but with that mention, I went to Google with "Bandwidth limiter utility" and got http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/ , which, as suggested, can be installed on clients but controlled by the admin. If a client deleted the utility, the admin would know.

Only snag - you have to input the rule every time the client is booted, or pay $99.00 for the full version.

MadGamer
28-12-2004, 22:13
Many thanks, brilliant responses :) This board is the bees knees, or rather, it's contributors are ;)

I never thought of a software solution, but with that mention, I went to Google with "Bandwidth limiter utility" and got http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/ , which, as suggested, can be installed on clients but controlled by the admin. If a client deleted the utility, the admin would know.

Only snag - you have to input the rule every time the client is booted, or pay $99.00 for the full version. Are you gonna take the plunge and pay the $99.00 then?

ian@huth
28-12-2004, 22:23
4 users - 300k? Why not up the speed to 1.5Mb?

IanL
28-12-2004, 22:48
Are you gonna take the plunge and pay the $99.00 then?I'll see how we get on with the trial version first.
4 users - 300k? Why not up the speed to 1.5Mb?Er, the money....

AndrewJ
28-12-2004, 23:17
hmmm You said "a user on a filesharing program"

Sure you may ahem discover the $99 program there? ;)

Matth
30-12-2004, 22:16
If they are on the wireless side, lock the wireless speed to the minimum (1 Mbit won't actually throttle it, but but the increased packet delay will give the non wireless systems a head start.

Alternatively, insist the user makes appropriate speed limits in the program, or else!

IanL
30-12-2004, 23:28
If they are on the wireless side, lock the wireless speed to the minimum (1 Mbit won't actually throttle it, but but the increased packet delay will give the non wireless systems a head start.I tried that, but couldn't see an improvement.
Alternatively, insist the user makes appropriate speed limits in the program, or else!Good thinking, but would you believe that that program has no built-in control?

However, I've found a program called NetLimiter which does the same thing for each individual program which accesses the Internet, so fingers crossed...;)

IanL
30-12-2004, 23:33
hmmm You said "a user on a filesharing program"

Sure you may ahem discover the $99 program there? ;)
As the actress said to the bishop - you should see the queues :shocked: