PDA

View Full Version : Would this work? (networking)

slysy
26-08-2003, 16:58
I currently have a PC wirelessly connected to a router. Is it possible for me to enable ICS on the PC, use crossover cable to connect my PC to my XBOX throught the NIC, then use Live?

so it would be like this

Router____(wireless)_____PC_____(crossover)_____XB

slysy
26-08-2003, 17:20
WEll it didnt work :( I get an error saying "No DNS server addresses received". Can anyone help?

XiceWolf
26-08-2003, 17:34
The connection gurus on here are all busy working. They will help you later without a doubt. I would help you but i dont know anything so my advice may not be the best to listen too :D

slysy
26-08-2003, 18:02
Well I just tried it again having changed no settings and it worked lol. I hope it stays working :D I wonder why this method isnt more popular than using a WET11, its certainly a lot cheaper.

Caspar
26-08-2003, 18:12
Originally posted by slysy
Well I just tried it again having changed no settings and it worked lol. I hope it stays working :D I wonder why this method isnt more popular than using a WET11, its certainly a lot cheaper.

Nice one...someone who serves themselves! :)

The reason why this is not the most popular is a few reasons (IMO):

1. People who have a wireless router, like wireless and go the full hog and buy a wet11 because either they are a) tech junkies, b) work pay for the hardware or c) they actually need the hardware through location contraints.

2. The PC still needs to be on for the XBOX to work.

etc...

slysy
26-08-2003, 18:18
The weird thing is I was about to buy a WET11, then I wondered if doing it this way would work. Has saved me a good £80 or so (if it stays working now)

Caspar
26-08-2003, 18:22
True...I'm a 1.b person and thought I'd rather not have my XBOX connection running through my PC :)

£80 is a lot of money though.

slysy
26-08-2003, 19:47
One last question. How can I configure ZA to allow my XBOX to use ICS?

Tezcatlipoca
26-08-2003, 22:50
One last question. How can I configure ZA to allow my XBOX to use ICS?

Hmm.....depends on the version of ZoneAlarm.

If you have ZoneAlarm Pro, there is an option to tell it that you are running an ICS Gateway. This then means the ICS service is allowed to connect properly, & the XBox will be fine.

If you have the free ZoneAlarm....tbh I can't remember (not used that version in ages!). You should be able to allow Internet Access to the ICS program (can't remember the name of the top of my head), & I assume that you could put the IP of the XBox into the Trusted Zone. Hmm. Have a look at www.zonelabs.com about using ICS.

slysy
27-08-2003, 07:54
Yep, I have the free ZA. Is the XBOX IP dynamic? Its just i tried entering the IP in the trusted zone, and then it only worked till I rebooted the XBOX. At the moment my workaround it to lower the internet security to medium and the trusted to none, but Im not sure how safe this is :(

slysy
27-08-2003, 08:11
Also, what is the best way to find the IP of your XBOX?

Dooby
27-08-2003, 10:05
Also, what is the best way to find the IP of your XBOX?

in the network settings in the dashboard, it should appear after the xbox has connected...

you should be able to enter a static ip for the xbox as long as it is in the right range for ICS ( and you will also have to enter DNS servers etc...put in the real ones for NTL ) and the 'Gateway' address should be the IP address given to the PC by ICS ( not the one it gets from the router ... the PC should have 2 IPs )

one word of caution about using ICS behind a router, you are effectively burying your xbox behind 2 router, with NAT ( network address translation ) you could end up causing problems later ( particularly hosting games ) ... you may have to ensure that the hardware router and ICS use different IP ranges

i.e you have
Router ------> PC with ICS ( Software Router ) ----> XBox
which means

External (NTL) IP |> Internal IP --> internal IP |> another internal IP --> Internal IP
where |> is NAT....

it SHOULD work, but just warning you....

oh and it may also increase your latency/lag a little....