PDA

View Full Version : NTL, extending cable point

Badshot
21-12-2004, 13:09
Can anyone help, i wish to extend my cable connection within my house by about 25Metres. I plan to use RG59 cable and hope that the signal levels will not be adversely effect. Any advice. I wish to change the location of the modem to the back of my house

daxx
21-12-2004, 13:13
Any cabling up to and including the STB/SACM is the property of NTL and should not be modified. Contact your local CS team to arrange an engineer visit and avoid any nasty repercussions if the levels end up all wrong and causing problems for yourself and those around you.

Alternativley invest in a router and just run some cat5 instead or use a wireless router and avoid any cables.

adit: see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=236609&postcount=10

Church Mouse
21-12-2004, 13:16
Hello Badshot

I use a 25 metre ethernet extension cable to connect my laptop to my cable modem. No problems whatsoever.

Good Luck

Church Mouse

jtwn
21-12-2004, 13:54
huh? I'm sure they use (it was exactly the same cable as i bought) RG6? I extended using that, works fine, signal levels changed a bit i think but works fine.

Chris
21-12-2004, 14:05
The point is, you take a risk if you extend the coax. You don't take a risk if you extend your ethernet cable or invest in a wireless router and NIC for the PC. The wireless solution is best; if you want to move your PC again in future then you're not stuck with more cabling work.