PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity

Valguss
21-12-2004, 01:40
:Yikes:Hi guys - i've had a look through the posts and don't think i saw a problem like this.

I'm using BB on ethernet through the set top box. It's running to a Belkin router then to my comp. It usully works fine, but every now and again, the connection will fail. My router will report no DHCP assigned connection settings. I have to restart the STB to renew the IP address for the router. After that every thing is fine for awhile. Today however, it has done this to me about 6 times. It's usually about once every couple of days.

I think it might becasue my Router isen't letting the DHCP server update the IP, but i have no idea how to correct this.
I'm usually running ABC bittorent when this happens, on WIN XP
and i'm in the PO4 9EW area - portsmouth

I have tried to find out what ports NTL uses for the DHCP server, but frankly, i'm finding it all a bit confusing.

Any help? Please?

punky
21-12-2004, 01:59
I see you are using Bittorrent.

I used to have the same problem. I found it used to crash my old Pace 4000 box all the time. Getting a new Samsung box for the BB sorted it for me, but if you can't upgrade your box, you should throttle the connections settings in the application (or on your router) to stop flooding the STB.

More info can be found here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=9418

HTH.

rdhw
21-12-2004, 09:17
This is a known problem if the user is running a service (such as BitTorrent) which is capable of saturating the upstream and/or downstream rate caps, thus leaving no headroom for essential system communications such as DHCP for the end-user, or (even more seriously) DHCP for the STB itself.

The remedy is for you to use a BitTorrent client which is capable of regulating its bandwidth demands, both on downstream and on upstream, and for you to configure that client to use no more than about 80% of the rated bandwidth on your downstream and upstream connections: the actual figures depends on what teir of service you have.

gary_580
21-12-2004, 09:24
The remedy is for you to use a BitTorrent client which is capable of regulating its bandwidth demands, both on downstream and on upstream, and for you to configure that client to use no more than about 80% of the rated bandwidth on your downstream and upstream connections: the actual figures depends on what teir of service you have.

Or use Netlimiter to throttle back if your p2p application if it cant do it for itself. Using Netlimiter can allow you to throttle back the upload without it impacting your download. Apps such as Emule insist that your download is a particular ratio of your upload so if you throttle your upload back in emule it impacts your download, doing this in Netlimiter has no impact on your download speed