PDA

View Full Version : Split Cable

dagger1
15-12-2004, 17:49
Hi
currently i have a 2 way splitter, 1 for TV and the other for Internet (which is upstairs), could i replace the 2 way splitter, with a 3 way, and branch off another short cable for downstairs (so i can use the laptop)??

Would the bandwidth be greatly affected, i would only use the laptop now and again??

If this were possible (i don't see why not), would i be able to connect with 2 cable modems (1 upstairs & 1 downstairs), or would they conflict??

Any advise please

;)

paulyoung666
15-12-2004, 17:56
hi and :welcome: to the site , you shouldnt be really doing this at all :erm: fiddling with the cable is not allowed by the t & c's of your contract :disturbd:

quadplay
15-12-2004, 17:59
What you're talking about is theoretically possible, but forbidden by the Terms & Conditions:

9.5 Nobody other than our representatives may tamper, add to, modify or interfere with the Equipment in any way. As well as any other rights we may have, such action may result in our suspending the Services, terminating the Agreement and/or our retaining the whole or a part of any deposit.

Besides which, you couldn't simply take a length of CATV cable and plug it into your laptop - you need to connect an Ethernet cable. The simplest solution would be to get a router - possibly a wireless one such as those here (http://www.ntlworld.com/actiontec) so you can move around with your laptop.

Jon T
15-12-2004, 18:01
I think you'd find it easier buying a wireless router. The router would connect to your cable modem and allow you to share your connection between multiple devices.

You could ask NTL about another cable modem, but that would mean you paying twice the subscription than you allready do.

Jon T

eshaq786
17-12-2004, 12:18
This forum is full of NTL subscribers. The original poster here posted in the telewest section which indicates that he has the telewest service yet all you people talk about is NTL this and NTL that and NTL is crap anyway.

quadplay
17-12-2004, 12:35
Oops, didn't notice that. Well, in that case there's likely to be a similar clause in the Telewest Terms & Conditions, but I can't find a full copy on their website. In any event, splitting your cable without the proper equipment could result in poor signal quality to your property, and possibly the introduction of noise into the network, causing a loss of signal quality to all the properties in your area.

dilli-theclaw
17-12-2004, 12:36
This forum is full of NTL subscribers. The original poster here posted in the telewest section which indicates that he has the telewest service yet all you people talk about is NTL this and NTL that and NTL is crap anyway.
Obviously you don't read the same posts/forum as the rest of us then.:rolleyes:

paulyoung666
17-12-2004, 13:03

did i mention ntl , no i didnt , instead of criticising all the time , how about something constructive for a change ;)

@jimbo , i reckon you nailed it there , regardless of it being ntl or telewest :tu:

dpjnr
19-12-2004, 14:10
you can easily fit another ethernet card in your main pc and run a cable from that to where ever you want your laptop as long as the main pc is on you can use the laptop any where the cable can stretch

no need for a router or another modem etc

providing your laptop has an ethernet connection and you are running xp on both the pc and laptop just connect up the laptop and then click on run type in cmd (enter) and then type ipconfig/all (enter) and then ipconfig/renew Enter should only take 2 - 3 secs for the fix if it lingers longer then it did not work

dagger1
19-12-2004, 14:47
I can't do that as i want to use the laptop downstairs, as the main PC is in the childrens room, and i don't want it on at night.

Thanks anyway.

dpjnr
20-12-2004, 00:02
as the main pc is in the kids room then turn off the monitor and only thing will be a small purring noise occasionally (depending on how noisy your hard drive is)
i currently run 3 pcs the same way one is in my kids room (although 18) other 2 run in my main bedroom. both the 2 in the main bedroom are on 24hrs and not much noice when both are dowloading music all night.

dpjnr
20-12-2004, 00:51
you dont say where the instalation is, where does the oriiginal wire from the street come into the house is this in your living room or another room on the ground floor.

dagger1
29-12-2004, 21:55
Anyway sorted it out now,

Got myself a Netgear wireless router and Wireless Usb adaptor, so my 2 computers go into the router via Ethernet cables and the Laptop connects via the usb adaptor, and it all works perfectly.

Thanks for all your help, i was looking for a really cheap way to do this but there isn't one.

Bye....
;)