PDA

View Full Version : BB Tech Support Fun & Games This Evening

andygrif
13-12-2004, 03:08
Just thought I'd share this with you:

My email was playing up this afternoon, (usual problems, time outs, rejecting passwords) so I check the status page, nothing. So I leave it a couple of hours and check the page again, still nothing.

So I decide to venture into the BB Tech Support line. Couple of issues recorded there which were relating to emails being rejected by some other ISPs but nothing about problems sending and receiving.

So I wait in the queue...for 20 mins.

We go through the process of identifying who I am and then I'm asked what the problem is.

So I explain the problem, also saying that the situation is the same on all three of my PCs plus the webmail access, plus accessing my POP-3 via Yahoo Mail. This was at 7pm tonight.

We go through the motions of disabling firewall and anti-virus (I know they need to check this but it is rather stupid given that unpatched PCs are generally affected in seconds of having a firewall updated, but as I'm behind a router, I'm not too concerned).

Still rejecting password.

So then she tries to talk me through changing settings in Outlook...or rather she presumes I'm using Outlook Express, so I stop her and tell her I'm using Outlook 2003. "I'm sorry sir, then we cannot offer you any technical support".

Unbelievably, for me at least, I keep my cool. So I explain that if she tells me what she was wanting to achieve in Outlook Express, then I will know how to do it in Outlook 2003. She says she can't, and asks me to set up Outlook Express instead. I explain that I have removed OE from the computer.

She then tells me that she could change some settings on my account which might work, from her end, and could I give her my security word.

What security word? The security word you set up on your account. I have never set up a security word on my account. Everyone has set one up, she says. I haven't got a security word I say. That's no problem, all you need to do is call customer services and they can change it for you. But they're shut on Sunday, I say. You will have to call tomorrow.

But I don't even have a security word to change, I say. It's normally your mother's maiden name, she says. OK, so I give my mother's maiden name, just in case I'm going mad. No, that's not correct, she says. That figures, I say, as I have never told you my mother's maiden name!

So I rapidly realise that we're not going to get anywhere, she won't do anything to my account (and I can understand that if she's being told by ntl I have a security word) and leave it be.

So she's very apologetic and we say goodbye and that's that. Five minutes afterwards, lo and behold a message appears on the status page saying that there are problems with email sending and receiving!!!!

First, why when problems are identified are they not quickly posted on the status page? Two and a half hours isn't good enough. Same thing on the recorded phone message.

By not doing this, the call queues are longer and they have to hire more staff (or pay more Rupees to the support line company for dealing with a higher volume).

Second, why is it always a problem with the customers' PCs? I know we need to check these things as a matter of course, but I seriously doubt mine was the only call telling them of this problem today.

Third, what the hell is ntl doing with blinking security words? Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm very good at remembering who I give such words to, I've never been asked by ntl for one before and I very much doubt I have ever set one up - if I had it must have been when I first got my account 9 years ago, in which case why have I never been asked for it before?

Fourth, er, that's it!

Sorry to vent my splein, just needed to unload. Over to you......

carlingman
13-12-2004, 03:35
Hmm strange that.

They are prepared to Tech you through the problem after identifying you as the account holder etc to try and prove the fault lies with yourself.

Yet when it is deemed it might "god forbid" actually be anything to do with them they adopt the line of demanding a security password.

This use to be the case in the days of the old SABS system but they should have confirmed this at the start of the call.

I think you may have been introduced to the world of NTL Bull****.

:D

I wont comment on the delays of it reaching the status page etc.

The rest sounds to me like you were unlucky and got through to a jobsworth with a script with a manager standing over them worrying about churn rates.

I will don me flame retardent suit for the above but it does happen but doesnt apply to all as i myself have been there worked there got the t-shirt etc.

:angel:

sleepless
13-12-2004, 03:44
Just thought I'd share this with you:

My email was playing up this afternoon, (usual problems, time outs, rejecting passwords) so I check the status page, nothing. So I leave it a couple of hours and check the page again, still nothing.
nothing new there then :(

So I explain the problem, also saying that the situation is the same on all three of my PCs plus the webmail access, plus accessing my POP-3 via Yahoo Mail. This was at 7pm tonight.
so not ntl specific - sever wise (at that time)

We go through the motions of disabling firewall and anti-virus (I know they need to check this but it is rather stupid given that unpatched PCs are generally affected in seconds of having a firewall updated, but as I'm behind a router, I'm not too concerned).
standard practise

So then she tries to talk me through changing settings in Outlook...or rather she presumes I'm using Outlook Express, so I stop her and tell her I'm using Outlook 2003. "I'm sorry sir, then we cannot offer you any technical support".

Unbelievably, for me at least, I keep my cool. So I explain that if she tells me what she was wanting to achieve in Outlook Express, then I will know how to do it in Outlook 2003. She says she can't, and asks me to set up Outlook Express instead. I explain that I have removed OE from the computer.
Oh, dear. They don't support Outlook but it does not stop them from giving info to setup using any mail client... standard fob used by limited no. of staff. sorry :o

What security word? The security word you set up on your account. I have never set up a security word on my account. Everyone has set one up, she says. I haven't got a security word I say. That's no problem, all you need to do is call customer services and they can change it for you. But they're shut on Sunday, I say. You will have to call tomorrow.

But I don't even have a security word to change, I say. It's normally your mother's maiden name, she says. OK, so I give my mother's maiden name, just in case I'm going mad. No, that's not correct, she says. That figures, I say, as I have never told you my mother's maiden name!

So I rapidly realise that we're not going to get anywhere, she won't do anything to my account (and I can understand that if she's being told by ntl I have a security word) and leave it be.
The security word is generally your mothers maiden name (originally). This is was either setup when you signed up or during registration. If you had BB for a few years then you may not have officially regged. Many reasons for this and has been covered many times here and at the old site. Since the person you spoke to asked for it then it was present on your account. I can only assume that this was given by the person who ordered or registerd your account (not always mind :( )

So she's very apologetic and we say goodbye and that's that. Five minutes afterwards, lo and behold a message appears on the status page saying that there are problems with email sending and receiving!!!!
better late than never I suppose.

First, why when problems are identified are they not quickly posted on the status page? Two and a half hours isn't good enough. Same thing on the recorded phone message.
If there are not many people affected it may take time for enough examples to be collected and the perceived fault to be investigated. Even if a fault is identified it may not make its way onto the status page or phone line. It depends on severity.

By not doing this, the call queues are longer and they have to hire more staff (or pay more Rupees to the support line company for dealing with a higher volume).
Agree, but sometimes they can be a pain in the butt, there may not be enough room available on the switch or more examples are required to investigate further. And there's no need for the Indian dig :mad:

Second, why is it always a problem with the customers' PCs? I know we need to check these things as a matter of course, but I seriously doubt mine was the only call telling them of this problem today.
You've sort of answered your own question there ;). With well over a million BB customers, each with multiple mail accounts, it is generally quick and easy to identify server faults. Most of the incoming calls are down to customer equipment config errors. Not everyone is computer savvy.

Third, what the hell is ntl doing with blinking security words? Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm very good at remembering who I give such words to, I've never been asked by ntl for one before and I very much doubt I have ever set one up - if I had it must have been when I first got my account 9 years ago, in which case why have I never been asked for it before?
Think I answered this one :) TBH, if your account is 9 years old then it may not have been set up correctly as it was usually your mothers maiden name in them days. There are other ways to check security, but since you sort of infer you got through to India then they probably do not know how or have access (yet).

Fourth, er, that's it!
tidy :p:

Sorry to vent my splein, just needed to unload. Over to you......I know the feeling, been there myself many times:shocked:

sleepless
13-12-2004, 03:51
Hmm strange that.

They are prepared to Tech you through the problem after identifying you as the account holder etc to try and prove the fault lies with yourself.

Yet when it is deemed it might "god forbid" actually be anything to do with them they adopt the line of demanding a security password.

They can't win no matter what they do ;)

What's best, ask for security at beginning and if they cannot confirm send them on their way no matter what, or help them with something that is not account specific (security wise).:confused:

Tough call.

andygrif
13-12-2004, 11:09
OK....so I call CS this morning, and yes there is a security word on my account. They have taken my password (i.e for eMail, news, FTP, etc) as my security word.

I am so happy that my password for ALL ntl internet is being transmitted across the whole group in black and white for every employee and their dog to see :mad:

Anyway, it's now my mother's maiden name.

[
Agree, but sometimes they can be a pain in the butt, there may not be enough room available on the switch or more examples are required to investigate further. And there's no need for the Indian dig :mad:

It wasn't actually a dig believe it or not! I was very impressed by her, she was very polite, spoke better English than I did, understood everything I said perfectly and was very friendly.

I don't mean to sound Welsh-ist here (after all I do have some Welsh in me), but these are attributes I never discovered with BBTS in Swansea!

Chrysalis
13-12-2004, 16:05
I know the feeling, I can't see how a firewall can make email reject password's but I can see how it can get your computer infected with a trojan, NTL giving this advice is just chaotic. I don't like how they assume faults are customer error, last time I rang up concerning my speed issues the guy just wouldnt admit my area is oversubscribed and instead told me to get broadband medic, their customer support needs surgery in its current state.