PDA

View Full Version : remove bank cards from ntl

leeswin
12-12-2004, 13:56
after 4 months of messing about ntl claiming may card has been rejected (rubbish its them) etc i have decided no more. I am going to request all my cards are removed from there system and pay it in the bank as I dont trust them. someone said direct debit - ha yh right no chance.

does anyone kknow what ntl will be like when i ask them this? :mad:

paulyoung666
12-12-2004, 14:17
dont know but bear in mind it is going to cost you more for the privelege of going to the bank :(

Paul
12-12-2004, 15:02
ntl won't care - they will just charge you more - your choice I suppose. What's wrong with DD ?

Chimaera
12-12-2004, 16:55
Be careful with DD!
Ntl have taken double the amount for my BB account for the last 3 months even though I have queried it each time - they say it's because they failed to take the August payment and they have to catch up! I am supposedly getting a refund this month - I await with baited breath! ;)

leeswin
14-12-2004, 00:46
lol i dont know if i can trust them after the last 3 months and frankly i wouldnt know if i could anymore.

Graham
14-12-2004, 02:15
Be careful with DD!

However DD is covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee, unlike other methods of payment, which means that you *can* always get your money back if they make a mistake.

Chris W
14-12-2004, 02:49
However DD is covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee, unlike other methods of payment, which means that you *can* always get your money back if they make a mistake.

not always....

the direct debit guarantee only covers you if the amount that should be debited (ie the bill total) is not what is taken out. For example, if you normally paid £25 per month and they took £25 twice you would be covered.

However, if you normally paid £25 and they billed you £50 in error and then debited £50 you would not be covered.

/MB wonders to himself whether this makes sense to anyone else.... too late at night to be explaining :p:

goblin
14-12-2004, 03:23
not always....

the direct debit guarantee only covers you if the amount that should be debited (ie the bill total) is not what is taken out. For example, if you normally paid £25 per month and they took £25 twice you would be covered.

However, if you normally paid £25 and they billed you £50 in error and then debited £50 you would not be covered.

/MB wonders to himself whether this makes sense to anyone else.... too late at night to be explaining :p:

FWIW yes, it makes perfect sense to me. Having been caught out by this and then further denied my money from NTL. An expensive lesson. I shall not make the same mistake again and give NTL access to my Bank Account. Instead, I phone NTL on 156 each month, quote my credit card, then the amount I owe, confirm it with the person at the other end of the phone and then recieve a payment number.

As regards the Direct Debit Guarantee. As far as the banks are concerned, such things as phone\cable television\broadband connections are all "utilities" and as such, the amounts collected each month are variable. Which in turn may confuse some customers who invoke the Direct Debit "Protection" as a safe guard, only to find that they really did owe the amount taken. So these days after some mistakes, the Direct Debit Guarantee only protects non variable amounts.

leeswin
14-12-2004, 18:55
I will explain you may understand my reluctence

I used to phone them but my bank card expiry date changed, no biggie I phoned and advised them 3 months ago (sorted?). 2 months ago all the debits were being denined? they claimed by the bank (rubbish). after many connversations with ntl I be-grudging called the bank and nothing wrong there (as i knew it surprise surprise). anyway very long story short 2 months 3 NTL "special" letters later found out no one had updated my card details (rude word here ;)) Noooooooo.

Great i thought can get ot sorted at last, that time I paid it on credit card to shut the (another deleted word)'s up and sorted by paying extra on tv (fool I here you all shout :rolleyes: ). now found out yesterday the extra £100 was denied ARGHHHH. do I really want to go down this road again?

now with this history I really dont feel confident in giving them my card details in any form whatsoever, but debating weather to give it another chance (glutten for punishment). no one has ever even had the balls to apologise thats the really anoying bit or even offered to help properey.

lol who ever said paying your bills it was easy???? they dont seem to get the message - I want to pay the F*I*G*N BILL lol :dozey:

xtopher
14-12-2004, 19:51
Dear all, NTL have a wonderful quote on one of their brochures about DD giving you peace of mind that your Internet bill is payed! I quoted this at them in a recent letter to them (1 month ago and know reply yet) after they screwed up my DD billing. This resulted in a loss of my email account and 2 weeks of being reinstated - the 'reinstatement process' by the way doesn't exist. My wife and I I lost all current inbox and Folders never to be seen again. Don't go there by default! It's a miserable experience. I hadn't thought to check my online DD billing but I will from now on.

xtopher