PDA

View Full Version : NTL & Debt Collectors

Johnno26
12-12-2004, 13:23
I tried NTL Broadband out about a year ago, and within the trial period, cancelled due to it crashing, losing connection and not been able to go online. I cancelled the agreement, my direct debit and returned my modem. However, I had quite bit of trouble trying to cancel. On numerous occasions I was told the account would be cancelled, but still received bills. Anyway, about five months ago this appeared to have all been cleared up. Two weeks ago I shredded all the NTL letters and bills I had received, then Saturday I received a letter from a debt collection company, Westcot Credit Services, demanding an outstanding balance of £31.18! What do I do now? I have no evidence of not owing, I have no record of exact dates of when I took out the NTL Broadband trial and the date I cancelled, nor do I have any record of returning the modem. I thought everything had been done and dusted! I phoned NTL up and they told me that my account is clear, but according to Westcot, NTL are still owed money. I am now worried that I may get a credit blacklisting too! Can anybody help with any advice and suggestions as to what I can do? Will I be credit blacklisted and if so how do I go about getting it put right? I'm at my wits end! :Yikes: Thanks in advance.

paulyoung666
12-12-2004, 13:25
hi and :welcome: to the site , if i were you i would get ntl to send you a letter stating that you owe them no money , then send the letter ( copy of it ) to wescott and ask them to stop hassling you for payment :)

Escapee
12-12-2004, 13:31
I tried NTL Broadband out about a year ago, and within the trial period, cancelled due to it crashing, losing connection and not been able to go online. I cancelled the agreement, my direct debit and returned my modem. However, I had quite bit of trouble trying to cancel. On numerous occasions I was told the account would be cancelled, but still received bills. Anyway, about five months ago this appeared to have all been cleared up. Two weeks ago I shredded all the NTL letters and bills I had received, then Saturday I received a letter from a debt collection company, Westcot Credit Services, demanding an outstanding balance of £31.18! What do I do now? I have no evidence of not owing, I have no record of exact dates of when I took out the NTL Broadband trial and the date I cancelled, nor do I have any record of returning the modem. I thought everything had been done and dusted! I phoned NTL up and they told me that my account is clear, but according to Westcot, NTL are still owed money. I am now worried that I may get a credit blacklisting too! Can anybody help with any advice and suggestions as to what I can do? Will I be credit blacklisted and if so how do I go about getting it put right? I'm at my wits end! :Yikes: Thanks in advance.

I think it's about time all the innocent people who get hassle from Wescot should get together and lobby the government about their practices.

I like many others have had problems with Wescot and ntl, I have heard recently of someone clearing up a utility bill that they didn't actually owe about two years ago, only to have a letter from Wescot within the last couple of weeks claiming they owed the money.

this is a similar situation where Wescot has come along with these claims long after it has all been sorted out, this person cannot find the original letters clearing them of any debt.

I wonder if Wescot just tries it on, in the hope that the customer has not kept any records or receipts after such a long time, and the innocent will simply pay up rather than risk a credit blacklist :rolleyes:

ian@huth
12-12-2004, 13:32
Under the Data Protection Act, NTL have to supply you with copies of all paper records, correspondance, notes and computer records if you request them. You may have to pay something like £10 for them.

If you are getting nowhere with NTL you can contact one of the senior executives who should be able to help you. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=28

:welcome: to CF, by the way.

Johnno26
12-12-2004, 13:33
Thanks for the welcome and the response! I may well have to do that, but it is so much hassle trying to get through on the phone to speak to someone and then getting redirected umpteen times, to finally wait with baited breath as to whether you are going to get "that" letter as promised. I went through all this for months before. It's a nightmare!

Johnno26
12-12-2004, 13:34
Blimey you guys are quick! I was replying to the first response!

paulyoung666
12-12-2004, 13:37
Thanks for the welcome and the response! I may well have to do that, but it is so much hassle trying to get through on the phone to speak to someone and then getting redirected umpteen times, to finally wait with baited breath as to whether you are going to get "that" letter as promised. I went through all this for months before. It's a nightmare!

it may be a hassle but it will be worth it in the end , dont forget the phone call is free ;)

Johnno26
13-12-2004, 17:29
Thanks for all your advice! I've phoned NTL, phoned their debt department, Active Credit, and emailed Vas Agridhiotis (the NTL area MD) and things seem to be in motion to correct the mix up! I just hope that all do as promised, as I have a strange sense of deja vu at present!

Thanks again and have good Christmas's! ;)

paulyoung666
13-12-2004, 17:59
Thanks for all your advice! I've phoned NTL, phoned their debt department, Active Credit, and emailed Vas Agridhiotis (the NTL area MD) and things seem to be in motion to correct the mix up! I just hope that all do as promised, as I have a strange sense of deja vu at present!

Thanks again and have good Christmas's! ;)

hopefully this will be the end of it for you , but stick around you never know :tu: :D :D :D