PDA

View Full Version : Chkdsk

yesman
25-08-2003, 11:44
Was wondering if anyone can help ?

I ran a chkdsk this morning via ms dos prompt within windows and was told there was a problem, not sure what that problem is though, I entered the following parameter chkdsk/f, assuming this parameter was correct to autofix the problem, it then told me that another programme was in process and that the volume couldn't be checked.
The only other programme I have that can do this is norton utilities, so I ran that and it told me the exact same thing :(

So what do I do next ?

Thanks in advance

Geoff

Xaccers
25-08-2003, 11:45
What OS are you running? What file system too

yesman
25-08-2003, 11:47
Originally posted by Xaccers
What OS are you running? What file system too

XP Home and NTFS ?

Xaccers
25-08-2003, 11:53
Open Windows Explorer
Right click the drive you want to check and click on properties
Go to tools
Click on Check now.
Check both boxes and click start
it will ask if you want to schedule it for your next reboot, say yes, then reboot, and go and have lunch.

yesman
25-08-2003, 11:55
Open Windows Explorer
Right click the drive you want to check and click on properties
Go to tools
Click on Check now.
Check both boxes and click start
it will ask if you want to schedule it for your next reboot, say yes, then reboot, and go and have lunch.

Ok thanx Xaccers, cya after lunch :D

yesman
25-08-2003, 12:26
Thanx again Xaccers, I now get the message "The Volume is clean"

Go to the top of the class :)

yesman
25-08-2003, 12:40
Hmmmmm, just out of curiosity, I ran another chkdsk from the msdos prompt within windows and got the result as per attached pic, do you think its worth bothering with that result after the full check ?

Xaccers
25-08-2003, 13:11
did you get that after you did a reboot and let chkdsk run?

yesman
25-08-2003, 13:19
did you get that after you did a reboot and let chkdsk run?

No it gave me a clean volume, I just ran the chkdsk from msdos prompt within windows afterwards, just for curiosties sake.

So I am a bit confused about that latest result.

Xaccers
25-08-2003, 13:22
try a chkdsk /f from cmd prompt and when it says about scheduleing a scan, say yes and reboot then try a plain chkdsk

yesman
25-08-2003, 14:12
try a chkdsk /f from cmd prompt and when it says about scheduleing a scan, say yes and reboot then try a plain chkdsk

Yep done that also, its only when I do a chkdsk and not (chkdsk/f) from msprompt that I get the message in the pic that I posted, otherwise everything seems to be fine.

Maybe I should just ignore it ?

Xaccers
25-08-2003, 14:14
Yeah, blame bill gates and ignore it :)